• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This thread is: CLASSIFIED II

170 posts in this topic

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories. Some good, some bad. Back then, there was a lot of mail fraud going on. I was a victim a few times. Some orders I never received. Some where the condition was way over-graded. One time I ordered a Mint Conan #1 for $15.00 and received a waterlogged copy, still damp in the plastic bag. If you think eBay is bad, The Buyers Guide was much more of a gamble. And you really didn’t have much recourse back then.

Did you notice the WSA # on some of the ads? Back then, the WSA was supposed to be like the Better Business Bureau of comicdom. I suppose if you were a member, you were an upstanding seller or something like that. Was anybody here a member?

I have always been lucky, being from the UK and buying from the US, I answered quite a few of these adverts and bought plenty of books back in the day using cash dollars :o

I also used to bid in a postal auction, I am sure it was "Gregs auctions" or something like it, when I won anything, I used to have to get my cash changed into dollar bills and send them off in an envelope, I always got my books.

I have always been lucky, being from the UK and buying from the US, I answered quite a few of these adverts and bought plenty of books back in the day using cash dollars :o

I also used to bid in a postal auction, I am sure it was "Gregs auctions" or something like it, when I won anything, I used to have to get my cash changed into dollar bills and send them off in an envelope, I always got my books.

I can't remember being ripped off either. It was different times. Times I think with much less fear and greed in people. You could see something you wanted in an ad and send off your check or mo in the mail and that was it. It might be 3 weeks before your package arrived or you even started wondering about it. And there was no feedback forum, although I believe the WSA like stated above was a sort of "dealers creed of ethics club" or something.

I can't remember being ripped off either. It was different times. Times I think with much less fear and greed in people. You could see something you wanted in an ad and send off your check or mo in the mail and that was it. It might be 3 weeks before your package arrived or you even started wondering about it. And there was no feedback forum, although I believe the WSA like stated above was a sort of "dealers creed of ethics club" or something.

Agree with the different times, I always had to pay cash from a different country, sent the money to a box office number, no names or addresses, I dont know what recourse I would have had if I didnt get the books, it just never came up.

Everyone I dealt with, was just honest.

Ah, back in the day :cloud9:

I think that most people are honest. Maybe I was just unlucky to run into a few that were not. Most of my transactions were okay. And I will say that I did get some good bargains. Those few bad experiences did sour me on ordering from TBG ads.

Another time, I made a trade in response to an ad. After agreeing on a trade, I sent my stuff to him. The guy sent something else that I didn’t want (worth less) because he no longer had the comic I wanted or any of the alternates I picked from his list. I guess it’s my mutant power for picking bad deals.

Somewhere out there is a bound volume with Amazing Fantasy #15 AND Spidey #1 in it :o

TBG1251976boundvolumes_zpsc9a3ff5a.jpg

Seeing THIS CLINK ad, reminded me of this old ad from this classified thread. Wonder if its the same one hm

There's actually 3 or 4 bound volumes in the current CLINK auction :o

Somewhere out there is a bound volume with Amazing Fantasy #15 AND Spidey #1 in it :o

TBG1251976boundvolumes_zpsc9a3ff5a.jpg

Seeing THIS CLINK ad, reminded me of this old ad from this classified thread. Wonder if its the same one hm

There's actually 3 or 4 bound volumes in the current CLINK auction :o

I love those bound copies!

After reading a little closer, I guess its not. Its issues 1-20 whereas the classified ad is only issue 1- 12. There must be a few of these things out there