• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

My love affair with golden age began with the photojournal. For many moons, using a magnifying glass, I'd go through the two volumes page by page, image by image. (But then didn't we all?)

Of all the images, Man from Planet X captured my imagination more than any other. It's rarity made the search to find a copy that much more compelling. Eventually I did.

ManFromPlanetXCGC25_zpsb4c80a9e.jpg

ManFromPlanetXbc_zps3ba41b22.jpg

Because the images in the photojournal are relatively small, I kept "discovering" great covers even after many viewings. I didnt notice this one for a very long while. When I did my jaw dropped in amazement. Soon after, I was fortunate to pick up a decent copy in a catalogue. I think it cost me $180. I later sold it, gawd knows why. This replacement was just a tad more expensive, but I was delighted to find one at all having regretted selling my first copy.

CrimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

cuz i bought it off the spinner at a tourist trap on fort walton beach as an 8 yr. old on my first florida vacation, and somehow still have it almost 50 years later. can remember trying out my little adjustable date stamp/pad i got for my 10th b'day about a year later. alot of my poor books got the treatment, but this is the only one i still have.

mt1uc.jpg

Stll have mine from the spinner racks awesome you held on to it all the years!

But after dozens of viewings, I never did notice this amazing Catman cover. I eventually "discovered" it and thought it just as astonishingly jaw dropping as CDNP #24. Never ever thought I'd be fortunate enough to acquire a copy - it's just stupidly difficult. Had to buy an entire set from GAtor just so I could have this. One of my top three books, no question.

Catman15.jpg

Perhaps my most constant interest has been in Fiction House. At one point I owned maybe half of their entire output. I was puzzled for years by the variation in the quality and intensity of the cover colors. They now only really interest me if the colors truly "pop". Those that do probably come from the early part of the print runs, but colors rapidly fade - or become increasingly dilute - with later printed copies. That horrible dull orange! Fight #32 is a toughie, and I owned several copies before finally lucking into a true brick red copy - of all places off Ebay. I do have other Fights, in grades up to NM. But I wouldn't trade any of them for this copy of #32!

FightComics32CGC60_zps2b98e2a6.jpg

This is my favorite issue of my favorite title, and not only because of the fantastic cover by Whitman! The interior was republished by IW comics, which were distributed in the UK in the early '60s. All I knew at that point was DC and Marvel. The look and feel of the stories here were entirely different. So much darker, laced with irony and fatalism. "We will rise again" illustrated by Johnny Bell haunted me for many years. When I came back to comics as an adult, I recalled the story but not the source. I had a vague recollection it was an IW. But it was years before I finally figured out which issue it belonged to.This naturally led to a wish to own the original version, which thanks to skybolt, I finally do.

planetcomics72cgc90_zps49d75a52.jpg

I love dark, moody covers, the darker the better. At first sight this looks for all the world like a truly horrific torture cover - until you notice the feather! Oh the agony! The reference to the Hunchback of Notre Dame really clinches it for me as the most interesting and complex of bondage covers - except maybe one. Like the girl in the red dress, I don't know whether to cry or laugh.

DaredevilComics1180.jpg

I just adore the setting for this cover, which makes me think of James Hilton's Lost Horizon. The film adaptation featuring Ronald Colman still resonates for me decades after first viewing. I've been seeking Shangri La ever since. As some of you know, I actually found it. But like Ronald Colman's adventurer, like him I stupidly gave it up.You can still find me out there in the foothills of the Himalaya, searching, searching...

funnypages3580.jpg

isf33300dpi.jpg

This Wood cover has always been a favorite and goes quite nicely with Famous Funnies 213.

Love that cover. A friend has the original art. It's absolutely amazing!