• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

Fight # 11

This book is what started my fight comics addiction I saw this cover in a book that shows golden age covers. That same day I saw this cover, I went to the CGC registry and stumble upon Jeff’s (Cheetah) and Walter (Walclark)  fight comics sets and that was reason that inspired me to collect a tittle that has so much potential.  Thank you both for the inspiration :)

20130929_005048_zps9b7f85c5.jpg

Fight # 1

I got this book in a trade from one of the good guys in the hobby. This book is the foundation of my awesome small run. But in all honesty the best part about obtaining this book is the amazing friendship I sprung up with this individual that’s the best thing about this book.  

IMG_6182_zps72375a83.jpg

Fight # 5

There aren’t many words to describe the feeling I get when I hold this book every day when I get home the for the last week. I just stare with a grind on my face : ) There just an emotional connection with this issue for all the time I would spend long nights figuring out who owns a copy. There were times where I would call Tyler telling him that I would never find this copy. He usually talked me off the cliff lol

fight5_zpsc5538d9c.jpg

Rangers 26

Here is another book that started my fiction house craze there not much to say about a sexy girl in a parachute with plane behind her (CLASSIC) cover screams rescue me Ivan lol

b17a5f750bf61927555b5a7c2333c16b_zps85126500.jpg

AF15

What can I say about my silver age grail. Peter parker was the reason I started collecting comics full time. This book  takes me to a time in my life as kid where reading Spiderman books (90’s) and watching the amazing Spiderman cartoons on Saturday’s was my escape. I love that feeling as kid 

SC20130130-192042.png

# 1 -

I am not here posting on these boards if not for this book and its creator. From my early years, Uncle Scrooge has been a favorite. I recall after grade school walking by the news vendor and staring behind the window at the display. Kids' books were right by the entrance door (bait). There were three scenarios, two of which were heartbreaks:

1) the new issue of Uncle Scrooge was there and the door open ... bliss

2) the new issue had not arrived ... grrr

and 3) the new issue was there but the store closed and I would have to wait at least another 24 hours before getting the book :cry:

The monthly package included a Barks reprint and an assortment of Italian & Brazilian reprints therein. Years later, I learned that my grandma almost bought that store but didn't ... what a great world it would have been had I spent my Sundays in the store while closed reading through all the books coming in :luhv:

Years later I live in the U.S. and own a copy of this book.

FC386_zps64e8b9a0.jpg

# 2 -

It seems that at some point or another most GA collectors get the Fiction House bug. It hit me hard and I haven't recovered yet. Along the way I decided to collect the complete run of Senorita Rio issues and was happy to get this copy of # 31 as part of the run.

Fiction House's covers were unabashedly red-blooded and this is a quintessential example of the absolute faith in the U.S. might and a glorification of its military personnel. And it's darn bloody. I wished that it was Zolnerowicz cover rather than a Doolin cover but beggars can't be chooser, esp. since I lucked into a nice copy. This highlights my Fiction House guilty pleasure.

Fight31_zps44504716.jpg

# 3 -

Ahhh ... Baker. More so than Baker though is the simple and different composition of the cover. I perceive a real feel for the romance of this couple and their position truly conveys the carefree attitude of love which makes this cover a stand-out for me (his eyes are close so he gets to experience closeness with her only through his other senses, a great touch), more so than the more suggestive covers Baker did for runs like Wartime Romances for example.

Teen-AgeRomances14_zpsb327fc2c.jpg

# 4 -

This book represents another aspect of the hobby where we start to understand the reach of the medium and its various uses. This propaganda / patriotic book has all the tropes of the genres but on top, it clearly targets the young demographic. Perfectly acceptable in context and a great reminder of the collective effort during that time of great struggle.

HowBoysandGirlscanHelpWintheWar_zps82321460.jpg

# 5 -

Crime SuspenStories # 22 is a cornerstone of the hobby, esp. for an Atom Age collector like myself. I believe that everyone would admit that the limits of good taste were tested by the cover. The book has been immortalized by the Gaines deposition and also involuntarily contributed to seismic changes for the publishers (though TV probably did more than its fair share to lead to these changes; arguably TV would never have been this gory ... so there would have been a market for these books alongside the more wholesome TV entertainment, c.f. Mad's success). All in all, an essential book to have for an avid comic historian.

CrimeSuspenStories22_zps1b9c3e65.jpg

There isn't a great deal of breadth in my top five, but I wanted to post anyway as kind of a time capsule.

I think I am going to complete the two runs I have been focusing on soon and this thread is giving me the itch to head in new directions. It will be interesting to come back here in a few years and see where I was and where I ended up.

No. 1 MT 93 - Because it is kicked off Atlas PCH:

fdbadc61-9836-4eab-90b5-4482f00db4ea_zpsed6035ef.jpg

No. 2 Cole's finest work IMHO - Because I like it just the way it is and because it has so much potential:

MC2_zpsa3b463e8.jpg

Wonderful stories, Scrooge (thumbs u

# 1 -

I am not here posting on these boards if not for this book and its creator. From my early years, Uncle Scrooge has been a favorite. I recall after grade school walking by the news vendor and staring behind the window at the display. Kids' books were right by the entrance door (bait). There were three scenarios, two of which were heartbreaks:

1) the new issue of Uncle Scrooge was there and the door open ... bliss

2) the new issue had not arrived ... grrr

and 3) the new issue was there but the store closed and I would have to wait at least another 24 hours before getting the book :cry:

The monthly package included a Barks reprint and an assortment of Italian & Brazilian reprints therein. Years later, I learned that my grandma almost bought that store but didn't ... what a great world it would have been had I spent my Sundays in the store while closed reading through all the books coming in :luhv:

Years later I live in the U.S. and own a copy of this book.

FC386_zps64e8b9a0.jpg

There isn't a great deal of breadth in my top five, but I wanted to post anyway as kind of a time capsule.

I think I am going to complete the two runs I have been focusing on soon and this thread is giving me the itch to head in new directions. It will be interesting to come back here in a few years and see where I was and where I ended up.

You've got a sweet set of Atlas pch books! :applause:

This thread is very inspirational. I have a couple of GA books, but never actively collected this period. I am periodically lurking on the GA section and this is making me want to start researching some stories/covers from the GA that will tickle my fancy. Thanks to all posting so far and keep them coming!

:popcorn:

Thanks AS - lets get your top 5-10 up here!!!!

Here is a good start...

Menace 1

Adventures Into Weird Worlds 16

Marvel Tales 114

Mystery Tales 5

Menace 3

Those are marvelous Atlas books but that would leave out ones that I love as much (see examples below). And if I can't pick even 5 favorite Atlas pre-code horror books, I have no hope of picking out 5 favorite books overall.

AdvWW6.jpg

Astonishing30.jpg

AdvIntoTerror19.jpg

Spellbound_3v2.jpg

Astonishing15.jpg