• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accurate raw comic graders on Ebay?

141 posts in this topic

Number 6, I basically agree with what you are saying, and I'm basically saying the same thing, that yes, my process with raws so far has been a money burner, and I'm looking for a more sound strategy. But when sellers advertise a 7.0 as a 9, they are driving up the price. They also have the book in hand, and we have a scan, so they should always have a better idea of what exactly a book is.

I've noticed that its typically the same sellers who auction high nine raw comics from the silver age on a repeat basis, on ebay. I wonder if there are reputable sellers selling a few truly 9+ raw sliver age comics on ebay at a time. If its all pie in the sky ill just quit looking for that on ebay.

I do have a local dealer who said he will help me grade comics, so I can get a better idea before I may try to slab them. Its a learning process, but I'm looking for sellers who meet buyers half way.

Sellers clearly have a responsibility to have at least a working knowledge of the product they are selling, describe it properly and stand behind the product/service they sell. I would never suggest otherwise.

However, the reason I place so much emphasis on the buyer's responsibility is because:

1)You can't control what sellers do. Period. You only have control over what you do and how you approach the situation. Thus, educate and investigate.

2)The growing trend among eBay buyers is to put zero effort into a transaction and expect 100% favorable results. This is not a mentality that will pay off.

3)Not only will becoming more informed about grading help prevent you from getting stung by eBay sellers, it will add exponentially to your enjoyment of the hobby. The more you put in, the more you'll get out of it.

The last point is probably the most important. It sounds like you're pursuing high grade copies (Silver?). Even someone gave you a list of sellers that you buy from and submit to CGC without any thought whatsoever, how will you truly appreciate the difference of owning a 9.4 if you can't even identify the difference?

You're going to be paying decent money to own high-grade copies. Educate yourself so you can get the maximum enjoyment out of your purchases. (thumbs u

There are some accurate graders on Ebay,but their all board members here.So why use Ebay when I can just buy my comics directly from the little group of sellers that I like here,and avoid the middle man.Bonus I don't get screwed this way either. (thumbs u

That's absolutely not true. One of the raw dealers I buy from regularly, hates CGC and the idea of slabbed books.

And there are plenty of sellers here who don't grade all that well or ship properly.

care to name names? :baiting:

lol(tsk)

I'll name you as one of my very favorite people to buy from on the boards :cloud9: [/quote

:foryou:

I speaking about slabbing books because I'm responding to the OP's comments: based on his comments, it sounds like his intention is buy raw and turn around in slab them. But as I said, I don't know exactly what his goals are.

Not sure how I could be force-feeding someone the idea of slabbing books when we're all commenting on CGC's message board. (shrug)

No, No.6, of course my reply wasn’t specifically directed at you, just a general remark. ;)

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

I'll go on record and say that Nick's grading isn't accurate. He undergrades. That's not accurate.

:insane:

I studied the infamous comix closely again, the 9.6 that came back as a 6.0 (enroute it is). The color and page quality is superior. But, but, but, there is major spine roll, or what I believe is called spine roll. So much that the staples are only seen from the back, and the "1" from the price is only seen from the back. Grading says high grades can't have that. The other from the same seller had it too, though not as bad, but it still was. 7.0, not a 9.4.

Case closed?

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

I'll go on record and say that Nick's grading isn't accurate. He undergrades. That's not accurate.

I have to agree with this - only one of the many books I have bought over the years from Nick has been spot on. :grin:

I studied the infamous comix closely again, the 9.6 that came back as a 6.0 (enroute it is). The color and page quality is superior. But, but, but, there is major spine roll, or what I believe is called spine roll. So much that the staples are only seen from the back, and the "1" from the price is only seen from the back. Grading says high grades can't have that. The other from the same seller had it too, though not as bad, but it still was. 7.0, not a 9.4.

Case closed?

No, it’s called "miswrap", and it does not affect the grade unless it’s really bad.

Spine roll is when the book is – well "rolled" around the spine, as for having been stored unber a stack of other stuff with the spine out.

Sorry for my lack of words, but my english is permanently in Beta… :insane:

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

I disagree, Nick is strict and uncompromising with his grading but he is accurate. Just because CGC's grading has gotten sloppy and there are a multitude of over graders who sell regularly doesn't mean that Nick is wrong. He is not the only person that I would say is an accurate grader but I think that too many people these days just allow their grading standards to follow CGC's downwards.

Case closed?

Can you post scans, or scans of other books that have come back lower than you expected?

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

Obviously Nick rocks with grading :headbang:

Oh and Garry, you're pretty good as well (thumbs u

Thanks Brian. :foryou:

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

I disagree, Nick is strict and uncompromising with his grading but he is accurate. Just because CGC's grading has gotten sloppy and there are a multitude of over graders who sell regularly doesn't mean that Nick is wrong. He is not the only person that I would say is an accurate grader but I think that too many people these days just allow their grading standards to follow CGC's downwards.

By whose standards though? I would argue that Nick's grading is even stricter than the OSPG standards (shrug)

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

Nick's grades have always been tougher than CGC's in my experience. His 8.5-9.2 books were coming back as 9.4+ for as long as I can remember. (shrug)

I actually don't believe there is a "right and wrong" or "accurate/inaccurate" when we're talking miniscule degrees of variation - every grader sees a book slightly differently. Just look at how CGC has changed from having Borock, Haspel and Litch at the helm. Worlds apart.

The fact is that CGC has simply evolved into what most consider "the standard" so to speak, through PR, evolution of the internet and the market itself...overtaking Overstreet itself in some areas of discussion.

And I also disagree that CGC is grading more loosely. They're tighter than a frog's arse (at least on the high grade I've been submitting) and have been for some time now. They've always fluctuated and I've seen sloppy grades and tight grades from 2000-2013 in their holders.

But besides all that, I was just making a funny while complementing Nick. Sorry about that. :tonofbricks:

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

By whose standards though? I would argue that Nick's grading is even stricter than the OSPG standards (shrug)

Exactly. There is no universal "standard".

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

I've bought literally thousands of books from Nick over a period on around 10 years and I've discussed grading with him many, many times and when I've questioned him on why he's graded something in a particular way, he's always been able to refer back to OSPG to justify his grading.

I probably suck at grading, so I try to list everything a grade below where I really think it belongs to be safe. Some board members here are like machines, near perfect graders, a few of whom have posted in this thread. :baiting:

Accurate grading?

FLAMING TELEPATH

Nuff said.

I've bought literally thousands of books from Nick over a period on around 10 years and I've discussed grading with him many, many times and when I've questioned him on why he's graded something in a particular way, he's always been able to refer back to OSPG to justify his grading.

Grading from OSPG is like having a discussion on religion and referring to a Holy Book for reference...it generally comes down to personal interpretation based on the individual and sometimes people will disagree.

Everyone does it, and everyone does the best they can, but everyone sees things differently.

My comment still stands: Nick is one of the tightest graders out there...but "accurate" and "inaccurate" grading is slightly relative because of so many variables involved.

And to be fair most 'tight' graders who undergrade most of their inventory will still use CGC when selling a big book. Ain't nobody going to sell an AF #15 as an 8.5 if it's going to grade out a 9.2 with CGC.