• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Original Writer Formerly Known As Alan Moore

74 posts in this topic

I think he has said something to the effect of "stop making money off my old ideas and do something new" as to why he doesn't want his name used on this kind of thing. I'm sure being into majik or whatever he thinks his name has power and wants to control how it is used. I know most of us would be like hell yeah reprint that dusty old story and slap my name in lights and send me a fat check, but some people have different ethics.

Which is like the most ridculous thing ever, considering his career path.

I kind of like him on Comic Book Men. He's got a dry sense of humor, but it works.

I understand where moore is coming from. Major corporations are seeing millions of dollars off of movies based on scripts he wrote. Meanwhile, most of his contracts only paid him royalties on the original issues, not the countless reprints, absolute editions, and movie rights. They go against his wishes, change scripts he does not approvec of, commercialize his properties, and then wonder why he's angry? Even after swearing off DC and starting ABC at wildstorm, jim lee sold wildstorm to DC, and warners still making money off moore's stories. Moore was ahead of his time in the 80's, he should have been writing for image, but unfortunately, it didnt exist back then.

An example of this was that moores contract paid him for the original first printings of watchmen. No ownership, no royalties. Between multiple printings of the original issues, over 20 printings of the tpb, several hardcovers, and bsolute edition with multiple printings, a motion comic, there have been over 40 printings of watchmen that are as big if not bigger than the original issues moore was contracted for. He hasnt seen a dime for any of them. Plus a blockbuster zach snider movie that he didnt agree with in the first place. (Not to mention v for vendetta, league of extraordinary gentlemen, from hell) studio's have buchered his scripts against his wishes and churned out millions of dollars in movies that he didnt want to happen, and didnt see a dime from.

I understand where moore is coming from. Major corporations are seeing millions of dollars off of movies based on scripts he wrote. Meanwhile, most of his contracts only paid him royalties on the original issues, not the countless reprints, absolute editions, and movie rights. They go against his wishes, change scripts he does not approvec of, commercialize his properties, and then wonder why he's angry? Even after swearing off DC and starting ABC at wildstorm, jim lee sold wildstorm to DC, and warners still making money off moore's stories. Moore was ahead of his time in the 80's, he should have been writing for image, but unfortunately, it didnt exist back then.

I'll cry him a river. He was work for hire, just like 99% of the rest of the creative people working for the big 2 back then. Why they continue to kiss his booty ( considering how much krap he talks ) is beyond me.

They dont, clearly. As we're participating in a coversation about marvel omitting his name from a series he wrote and republishing it themselves. As far as why he's upset, watchmen is the #1 reprinted graphic novel of all time. Last year, DC's absolute line consisted of 25% of works written by alan moore.none of this he see's anything from. Just because "everyone worked for hire for the big 2" doesnt make it right. We've still got creators that dont see three nickels for their creations while huge media giants make millions from them. Maybe we just disagree, but in my mind, thats something wrong in the industry that needs to be fixed.

They dont, clearly. As we're participating in a coversation about marvel omitting his name from a series he wrote and republishing it themselves. As far as why he's upset, watchmen is the #1 reprinted graphic novel of all time. Last year, DC's absolute line consisted of 25% of works written by alan moore.none of this he see's anything from. Just because "everyone worked for hire for the big 2" doesnt make it right. We've still got creators that dont see three nickels for their creations while huge media giants make millions from them. Maybe we just disagree, but in my mind, thats something wrong in the industry that needs to be fixed.

Just because a company has the funds, resources and distribution to reap millions off an idea one of their employees had does not make it evil or unfair. You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. If a fully actualized adult hasn't figured out that that is how the world works - it is not my responsiblity to feel sympathy for them.

IMHO, creators like Jack Kirby deserve sympathy because of how they were treated - not because they weren't financially or contracturally compensated.

It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, it's what he signed up for and knew full well going into it.

How much of the watchmens fame due to the marketing giant DC ? If we've learned anything in the last 50 years, it that you can feed the people anything you want and make a bundle off of it, if you ....

a. tell them how great it is

b. tell them how much everybody else loves it

c. tell them how much they need it

d. tell them how much they want it

e. tell them they are missing out without it

f. wrap it in pretty paper

g. tell them they need it

etc. etc. etc......

marketing and advertising are just that powerful

I respectfully disagree. Moore signed a contract that was lopsided in Dc's favor, not because he was some gullible oaf, but because in the 80's, that was a writers only option to got his work published and read. He didnt have any leverage to negotiate with.

And while I agree that marketing goes a long way, watchmen speaks for itself. dC sold the new 52 on hype alone. Watchmen has substance, great charecterization, and generally, writing that at the time, was revolutionary in the medium.

I know moore alot and plays the "why me?" Card, but I genuinely think that the industry giants have wronged him time and time again over the years.

That first book will be about 10% Moore's work, the rest is done by 1950s hacks. I wouldn't want someone picking it up thinking it was by Moore either.

Seeing how Alan Moore was one of the reasons DC even exists today, you would think the company would have a bit more generous with him.

More resdership, in my opinion, would increase the collectability of the original issues.

Also just saw this acticle on comicbookresources.com about moore leaving DC. Apparently, the rights to watchmen revert to moore after it leaves print. So DC just keeps printing reprints of it (over 40 of them) so that he cant regain rights to the work. Underhanded.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/10/18/comic-book-legends-revealed-441/

So what if Moore didn't go with DC. What if he just self published? Would the Watchmen be anything near as huge as it is ? Doubtful.

I'm not saying Watchmen isn't great, but when art IS great, when ideas ARE great, there will always be lawyers and marketing guys trying to get those ideas away from them and into their own control.

Why they do this IDK. Seems like there is enough $$$ to go around.

I respectfully disagree. Moore signed a contract that was lopsided in Dc's favor, not because he was some gullible oaf, but because in the 80's, that was a writers only option to got his work published and read. He didnt have any leverage to negotiate with.

And while I agree that marketing goes a long way, watchmen speaks for itself. dC sold the new 52 on hype alone. Watchmen has substance, great charecterization, and generally, writing that at the time, was revolutionary in the medium.

I know moore alot and plays the "why me?" Card, but I genuinely think that the industry giants have wronged him time and time again over the years.

If you want to cry a river for someone who really made a difference, cry for Jack Kirby.