• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered Jim Starlin's best work?

90 posts in this topic

Infinity Gauntlet and his Silver Surfer run for me. I read most of his Dreadstar saga but thought it was pretty meh. His Batman run with KGBeast was good. Also, he wrote a trashy but fun post-apocalyptic novel called Among Madmen with his wife in the late 80s. Enjoyable, and used copies are like a penny on Amazon.

Also, my first post on here and I mention KGBeast. Looking forward to being a member. :D

Infinity Gauntlet and his Silver Surfer run for me. I read most of his Dreadstar saga but thought it was pretty meh. His Batman run with KGBeast was good. Also, he wrote a trashy but fun post-apocalyptic novel called Among Madmen with his wife in the late 80s. Enjoyable, and used copies are like a penny on Amazon.

Also, my first post on here and I mention KGBeast. Looking forward to being a member. :D

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Everyone has pretty much chimed in on all the great stuff. I'd like to throw out Starlin's short-lived Thanos series (12 issues) that actually turned out to be a good read (I don't think he wrote the last issues) and an interesting take on Thanos' personality when he wasn't trying to conquer the universe. I liked it and was disappointed when it was cancelled.

Everyone has pretty much chimed in on all the great stuff. I'd like to throw out Starlin's short-lived Thanos series (12 issues) that actually turned out to be a good read (I don't think he wrote the last issues) and an interesting take on Thanos' personality when he wasn't trying to conquer the universe. I liked it and was disappointed when it was cancelled.

I think Giffen took over the writing chores towards the end of the series.

I think Giffen took over the writing chores towards the end of the series.

Starlin fell out with Marvel after Thanos #6, so Giffen wrote Thanos #7-12.

Starlin's coming back to Marvel on a project due out next year though!

I really loved that series too. It sort of fell apart after he left. No offense to Giffen but the first half of that series was pure gold. The second half was a little different. hm

I really loved that series too. It sort of fell apart after he left. No offense to Giffen but the first half of that series was pure gold. The second half was a little different. hm

It was fun having Ron Lim draw Thanos again :)

He drew some nice early UK Marvel covers, always liked this one.

Picture922_zpsafb5fb01.jpg

Cool book, Bats. I know this sounds kooky but I always thought he drew the Thing the best. A lot of detail. I bought the book below just because of the cover - no Thing but a Hulk

1309132027441.jpg

It was fun having Ron Lim draw Thanos again :)

He has Thanos down and is my favorite artist for the character (yes, even above Starlin - although I love Starlin's work). For some reason new artists can't capture what Lim was able to do. In some of the current Infinity crossovers, Thanos looks 3X the size of the Hulk - but worst of all his facial expressions are completely lacking any sort of personality, emotion or interest. These are things that Ron Lim was able to really nail (and George Perez as well, in IG).

I love seeing Thanos in action, but he has been drawn very poorly for a few years now, IMHO. Artists seem to want to draw him as the imposing, emotionless figure - but part of what makes Thanos so interesting is the fact that he is interesting.

He has Thanos down and is my favorite artist for the character (yes, even above Starlin - although I love Starlin's work). For some reason new artists can't capture what Lim was able to do. In some of the current Infinity crossovers, Thanos looks 3X the size of the Hulk - but worst of all his facial expressions are completely lacking any sort of personality, emotion or interest. These are things that Ron Lim was able to really nail (and George Perez as well, in IG).

Spot on! Lim is the quintessential Marvel Cosmic artist, no one draws a meaner Thanos :cool:

I agree that newer artists haven't managed to capture Thanos' essence quite like the Starlin/Perez/Lim trinity. Hopefully one of these old guard will come back to the character and give us that classic Thanos smirk/eye glint again!

Spot on! Lim is the quintessential Marvel Cosmic artist, no one draws a meaner Thanos :cool:

I agree that newer artists haven't managed to capture Thanos' essence quite like the Starlin/Perez/Lim trinity. Hopefully one of these old guard will come back to the character and give us that classic Thanos smirk/eye glint again!

++++++++1

Silver Surfer #34 is a bad @zz Thanos!!!!!!

Im on the hunt for a Canadian iron man 55

Cool book, Bats. I know this sounds kooky but I always thought he drew the Thing the best. A lot of detail. I bought the book below just because of the cover - no Thing but a Hulk

1309132027441.jpg

Love that cover, always liked the way he drew the Hulk.

Picture345_zps30e8046c.jpg