• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC Adlard: WHAT THE HECK?!?!?

147 posts in this topic

Hey, the State Fair is here in NC.... Plenty of rides, cotton candy and poop on a stick for everyone and anybody.......:)

Hey, what is the fried food of the year this year? I don't want to have to go to the fair just to find out, and I live 15 minutes from the fairgrounds.

-slym

doh! What isn't the fried food at a fair?

I read the first post in that thread, and it clearly states that the only way to get any CGC SS books would be to sign up for the Thursday signing so that the artist could spend more time with fans during the show.

:shrug:

-slym

The thread was heavily edited during and after the show. It was not so clear before.

If I wasn't busy getting ready for the con perhaps I could have started making inquiries sooner but the whole thing was just a clusterf**k. In the end it just led to Kirkman and other artists doing more signatures that Charlie could have done instead.

I get where the backlash against signature series is coming from but ultimately it adds to the integrity of the hobby by giving collectors who buy the books second hand the assurance that the signatures are legitimate.

There will always be dealers, flippers, and other middle men opportunistic enough to make a few bucks from signature series but their efforts ultimately serve to get the artist's work out to their fan base.

Maybe if you would have told the art rep you were a true collector, and the 25 copies you were getting CGC SS'd were for your grand kids, he would have worked with you. Noob.

If you have a problem with people selling comics for a profit you came to the wrong place chump.

One problem we saw at the CGC booth was that we were mistakenly informed that there'd be an Adlard signing Thursday evening which would eligible for SS. We'd given out this information to a bunch of people before Adlard's rep informed us that no SS would be allowed for that particular signing.

I really hope this isn't the model he's going to adopt for future shows - it's one thing to limit SS for a specific creator to private signings throughout the show; this is what CGC is now doing with Kirkman and it worked great at NYCC. It got the dealers out of the public signing lines, and allowed Joe Schmoe who didn't want to wait 3 hours in line an easy way to get a couple of books signed. It's a win all around.

But ... telling people that you won't sign a single thing for SS during the entire show because you want to make sure you have time for the "real" fans is lame & disrespectful. Particularly when any regular convention goer (eg. somebody who's not a member of this board) would have had no way of knowing that that was going to be the case.

Maybe if you would have told the art rep you were a true collector, and the 25 copies you were getting CGC SS'd were for your grand kids, he would have worked with you. Noob.

If you have a problem with people selling comics for a profit you came to the wrong place chump.

And if you're so thin-skinned that you get butt-hurt about missing out on SS chances when the info was in the SS forum weeks in advance, you're in the wrong place. Chump. (thumbs u

:P

lol

One problem we saw at the CGC booth was that we were mistakenly informed that there'd be an Adlard signing Thursday evening which would eligible for SS. We'd given out this information to a bunch of people before Adlard's rep informed us that no SS would be allowed for that particular signing.

I really hope this isn't the model he's going to adopt for future shows - it's one thing to limit SS for a specific creator to private signings throughout the show; this is what CGC is now doing with Kirkman and it worked great at NYCC. It got the dealers out of the public signing lines, and allowed Joe Schmoe who didn't want to wait 3 hours in line an easy way to get a couple of books signed. It's a win all around.

But ... telling people that you won't sign a single thing for SS during the entire show because you want to make sure you have time for the "real" fans is lame & disrespectful. Particularly when any regular convention goer (eg. somebody who's not a member of this board) would have had no way of knowing that that was going to be the case.

Particularly lame when the person running the exclusive SS signing is also soliciting for sales of the con exclusive book at the same time.

It wasn't right when Desertwind did it with Stan and it's still a problem, regardless of how much we may like the person having the exclusive relationship. That said, I'm not seeing the wet the beak of the old DWC arrangement.

lol

This sounds like me banging my shoe about Stan Lee four years ago. Get over it dude.

What you were saying then was the right thing and much of the angst on any exclusive is right this time.