• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Competing on the registry

118 posts in this topic

I think the registry is pretty awesome. It’s a great way to see what other collectors have. (Although I wish more people would include scans.) It’s a good way to connect with other collectors. It’s a decent way to keep track of your collection. And sure, if you want to be competitive about it, you can. But I think most people don’t take it too seriously.

I find it strange that some folks who’ve made thousands and thousands of posts on these boards are so dismissive of the registry. It’s ok to continually comment about comic collecting, but looking at and sharing comic collections is somehow stupid?

(thumbs u

Said some.

Not directed as anyone in particular.

It's just like if I like pizza and you like pizza, yet you critique me on what toppings I like.

Who cares, we both like pizza.

(Eating cold pizza right now)

Pizza :cloud9:

Good if we bump into one another - pizza is on me.

Who orders though?

While I agree that competing over comic book collections is stupid, I use the registry instead as a good way to help track the value of my slabbed collection.

As for not providing scans there, I post plenty of them here instead, as the boards allow for larger files.

Said some.

It's just like if I like pizza and you like pizza, yet you critique me on what toppings I like.

Who orders though?

In the world of pizza, I'm not picky at all. ;)

I think the registry is pretty awesome. It’s a great way to see what other collectors have. (Although I wish more people would include scans.) It’s a good way to connect with other collectors. It’s a decent way to keep track of your collection. And sure, if you want to be competitive about it, you can. But I think most people don’t take it too seriously.

I find it strange that some folks who’ve made thousands and thousands of posts on these boards are so dismissive of the registry. It’s ok to continually comment about comic collecting, but looking at and sharing comic collections is somehow stupid?

I agree with you but a much more fun site to look at collections is

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/

You and I are both participants of that site. Since I started there, I don't even look at the registry. The 'points' system is so skewed and out of whack, unfair, etc. that I have lost interest.

You and I are both participants of that site. Since I started there, I don't even look at the registry. The 'points' system is so skewed and out of whack, unfair, etc. that I have lost interest.

If's a nice site but I've found the tiMe it takes to upload scans is too much. If they would allow transfers from photobucket, I would list more. I don't know how Barton has endured posting over 2700.

I've found the registry very useful when compared to the census.

If the census shows two books of a certain issue at 9.8, I like being able to see if they're accounted for in the registry. Then I know I need to hunt in the wild.

I just wish people would remove books when they sell them.

If the census shows two books of a certain issue at 9.8, I like being able to see if they're accounted for in the registry. Then I know I need to hunt in the wild.

That's a good call. I do that as well.

I wish that if someone registered books on the registry, there might be a separate area in the census to show that.

Like you said - if two 9.8's appear on the Census. If both were owned by Registry owners, chances are they're not moving anytime soon and like you said - time to look for some raws instead of just :taptaptap:

I LIKE the DC 100 pagers... they truly were a breed apart, and deserve their own set. IMHO, of course...
Not a fan of modern registry sets.

But nothing beats inane arbitrary sets like this one -

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/awards/WinningSetDetail.aspx?AwardSetID=49536

lol Greggy was PMing me about another one of my posts so I was just trying to mess with him.

I'm just thankful that clown doesn't PM me anymore. :devil:

That's a good call. I do that as well.

I wish that if someone registered books on the registry, there might be a separate area in the census to show that.

Like you said - if two 9.8's appear on the Census. If both were owned by Registry owners, chances are they're not moving anytime soon and like you said - time to look for some raws instead of just :taptaptap:

I just want to know where the only 9.9 Spider-Woman book is! :pullhair:

I ran across the person who it's registered to on Ebay and he said he didn't have any of his registered SW books anymore.

Said some.

Who orders though?

In the world of pizza, I'm not picky at all. ;)

Good deal!

I disagree, I think most people take it too seriously. Sure you'll have a lot of collectors stating it's just for the fun of it, to be be used for the reasons you mention. And I'm sure some of them really use it that way. But for so many people it's plain and simple a numbers game, trying to get a higher score than their neighbor.

I also much prefer the system at myslabbedcomics.com where you can do everything you mention but there are points awarded for a certain numeric grade. A pretty book is a pretty book no matter what number is printed on the case.

Why does somebody's motivation for using the registry even matter? If you enjoy seeing books on myslabbedcomics.com (which is a great site), why wouldn't you also enjoy seeing books on the registry? I like seeing books and collections. It doesn't matter to me why they've been entered in the registry. Do the books and their owners have to pass some kind of purity test for you to check them out?

If's a nice site but I've found the tiMe it takes to upload scans is too much. If they would allow transfers from photobucket, I would list more. I don't know how Barton has endured posting over 2700.

I found it helps to enter the books while watching a baseball game, basketball game, or golf tournament. It is a cool site, but like you, I wish the entry process was a lot more streamlined.

I like all of my stuff in one area. I don't have an instagram and only fleetingly use twitter (I don't really post) because I already have a facebook.

If everything is here then I really don't have a need to go to myslabbedcomics and things like that.

The Registry is my favorite feature of the CGC website. It allows me to catalog and share my books. I also really enjoy the competitive aspect because it motivates me to finish my collections. I also enjoy the process of scanning comics and adding descriptive information. I feel as though the Registry has taken my enjoyment of the hobby to an entirely different level.

I am guilty, however, of purchasing slabs just because they are listed on the registry. It's driven me to buy comics that I would have otherwise left alone.

I use the registry to catalog my collection and see who else is interested in the run.

I have care about cracking top 10 (I'm at #16 for TOS 39-99) and unless I spend $15000...I'm staying right where I am.

I don't use it as a competitive feature.