• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Competing on the registry

118 posts in this topic

Why does somebody's motivation for using the registry even matter? If you enjoy seeing books on myslabbedcomics.com (which is a great site), why wouldn't you also enjoy seeing books on the registry? I like seeing books and collections. It doesn't matter to me why they've been entered in the registry. Do the books and their owners have to pass some kind of purity test for you to check them out?

Purity test ? God no, none of my friends would pass. I just don't like the competition element. For some , in the end getting points on the registry becomes more important than the book itself. I just don't understand why sets have to compete against each other.

If the points system doesn't matter to you (and I believe you when you say it doesn't) wouldn't the registry be as enjoyable to you without the competition ?

Why does somebody's motivation for using the registry even matter? If you enjoy seeing books on myslabbedcomics.com (which is a great site), why wouldn't you also enjoy seeing books on the registry? I like seeing books and collections. It doesn't matter to me why they've been entered in the registry. Do the books and their owners have to pass some kind of purity test for you to check them out?

Purity test ? God no, none of my friends would pass. I just don't like the competition element. For some , in the end getting points on the registry becomes more important than the book itself. I just don't understand why sets have to compete against each other.

If the points system doesn't matter to you (and I believe you when you say it doesn't) wouldn't the registry be as enjoyable to you without the competition ?

I don't mind the competition aspect, I think it's kind of fun. But like I said, I don't take it too seriously. It's sort of like when I play ping pong. I try to score more points than whoever I'm playing. But if I don't win a game, it's no big deal and I'm still happy I got to play.

I understand if you don't like the competition element of the registry. And if you choose to disregard it because of it, that's fine. But plenty of people enjoy the registry without paying attention to the points.

I don't mind the competition aspect, I think it's kind of fun. But like I said, I don't take it too seriously. It's sort of like when I play ping pong. I try to score more points than whoever I'm playing. But if I don't win a game, it's no big deal and I'm still happy I got to play.

I understand if you don't like the competition element of the registry. And if you choose to disregard it because of it, that's fine. But plenty of people enjoy the registry without paying attention to the points.

You don't have to make excuses for why you like the registry, or whether or not you like the competition. Do what ever the hell you like. There your books and you paid for them.

Keep posting them here and the registry and myslabedcomics. They're awesome and should be shared.

:headbang:

To be honest, I like naming my sets in the Registry, I have fun with it.

Granted many of mine are dorky or probably considered flat out dumb. But I enjoy coming up with them, adds to joy of creating, building and finishing a set/run.

Moreover, I really enjoy seeing what others have named their sets.

Some are creative, others are simple and some are a fricken riot.

Cool part of Registry imho.

Here. Fun with the Registry. I'm #7. I don't think I'll be much higher anytime soon.

If you'd like, take a look at my set. It's just fun making your set distinct. It's not ALL about points.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=67379

I scanned in certain pages from the issues. I made little descriptions. Found advertisements. Census info. Issue description.

:cloud9:

I love myslabbedcomics much more than the registry. I also find that for the most part people who say competition isn't a big part of it are either so far from #1 as to be impossible to reach or they're sitting at #1 already.

Like Allan said, if it's not about competition over who's got the best or most important books, let's just get CGC to take away the points. That's the approach at MSC and that's why I like it so much. All the sharing and comic eye candy without the whining about point values and whether variants should be in a set, blah, blah, blah.

I think the registry's a really useful tool for tracking my collection and seeing what else is out there (as well as who else is collecting in my niche).

However, I've also fallen pray to the fruitless pursuit of perfection and miniscule upgrades that the points system rewards.

25 years ago, my goal was to get the book and build a NM run. Now, due to the registry I've been brainwashed into actually trying to complete a Silver Age run in average CGC 9.6--and spending hundreds of dollars on upgrades from 9.2 to 9.6 to do so. Can you say "diminished marginal utility?"

I think the registry's a really useful tool for tracking my collection and seeing what else is out there (as well as who else is collecting in my niche).

However, I've also fallen pray to the fruitless pursuit of perfection and miniscule upgrades that the points system rewards.

25 years ago, my goal was to get the book and build a NM run. Now, due to the registry I've been brainwashed into actually trying to complete a Silver Age run in average CGC 9.6--and spending hundreds of dollars on upgrades from 9.2 to 9.6 to do so. Can you say "diminished marginal utility?"

I will admit to consulting the registry when and if I decide to upgrade a book. Often that time spent looking it up allows reality to set in and say it is not necessary to upgrade a 9.0 to a 9.4 for an extra 150 pernts at the expense of a few hundred dollars.

And... I wind up being happy with the 9.0.

The registry is a logical extension of slabbed books with grades and serial numbers. If you follow the logic of slabbed books, I'm not sure how a registry for slabbed books is "stupid". You might think defining the value of one's own collection by a registry ranking, competing to get to the top of the registry, or making purchasing decisions on the basis of registry points are all stupid things, but that's not necessarily what the registry is about to all of its participants.

It's a tool for registering one's collection, on a message board about collecting. That's all it really is. Whatever else you make of it is entirely on you.

Want to impress people in Comics General? Folks here are generally of the opinion that collecting comics is for dorks and the Registry is for über dorks. If you actually enjoy collecting comics, try one of the other CGC Forums. Far fewer trolls and troglodytes.

So your response to those in comics general who make sweeping generalizations about registry participants, is to make a sweeping generalization about comics general participants.

The registry is a logical extension of slabbed books with grades and serial numbers. If you follow the logic of slabbed books, I'm not sure how a registry for slabbed books is "stupid". You might think defining the value of one's own collection by a registry ranking, competing to get to the top of the registry, or making purchasing decisions on the basis of registry points are all stupid things, but that's not necessarily what the registry is about to all of its participants.

It's a tool for registering one's collection, on a message board about collecting. That's all it really is. Whatever else you make of it is entirely on you.

I clicked on this post expecting an ePeen reference. Imagine my disappointment.

I clicked on this post expecting an ePeen reference. Imagine my disappointment.

Being against the registry is anti-ePeen. I say we call it being an ePoon.