• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Only Two Away

8 posts in this topic

Or I have how many already?

Only two away

There are 109 books in the New Mutants 1983 set. Marvel ended the series in 1991, a little before my son was born. The transition of pre-teen to young adult occurred during this sensational copper set. First appearances occurred thorough out the series beginning with the team itself out of the pages of a certain Marvel Graphic Novel #4. There were also deaths and heartbreaks.

The Black Queen rose from a faux Rome. Illyana came to roost, at first as Peter's little sister and then as the demonic mutant sorceress Magik. Proudstar's little brother made his first appearance as part of the White Queen's, Hellions. The artwork changed beginning with issue 18 as the reigns went from McCleod to Buscema to Sienkiewicz, the latter giving a new twist to comic book art as well as the creation of David Haller, Legion. The creations continue.

The twenties turned into the thirties and Chris Claremont's story weaved the characters into my life, allowing me to fall asleep while pretending I was one with the Marvel Universe. Leialoha, Adams, and BWS also glamorized the covers by their truly great art styles.

I climbed through the forties and then with issue fifty, the return of Professor Xavier. Roberto Dacosta could only love the return of Magnum P.I. more. The New Mutants became part of the "Fall" after only shortly being through a massacre. They fought to prove themselves worthy of the "X" Mantle, much like any Robin fought for the Bat, but they were always considered to be X-Babies.

Louise Simonson held the reigns on what became a floundering title. Spider-Man grew and finally it was time for some new blood in the form of Liefeld. The title would never be the same, and in less than two years, the title would never be. The New Mutants are the underdog, and just like the Incredible Hulk spawning the best character creation of the seventies, then it must be said, the New Mutants with the help of Liefeld, Simonson, and Nicieza created the best character of the nineties.

Over the past four years I have done my best to attain the top spot on te CGC registry. I accomplished that honor and lost that pleasure after only one year. It did go back to Bagofleas, and rightfully so. We both need only two more. I might never take first place again, although I will try, but I ask myself with only two issues to attain, two issues that do not exist in a 9.8 (yet),what do I collect next?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

Ps. And I ask you, if you're not collecting the New Mutants, why aren't you?

14481.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

2 more and then what?

That's a tough one to answer.

How about?... Bask in the afterglow of the completed set. Let the accomplishments and what it stands for enjoy their moment in the sun.

Then, after some time, the answers to your questions will come to you.

I can't wait to see you complete the set!

Just two away... Amazing!

SW3D

Hey Tnerb,

Reading your journal reminded me a little of my goal to complete my set for Further Adventures of Indiana Jones. Your New Mutants is a bit of a longer lasting title, Indiana's further adventures lasted 34 issues, New Mutants, 109 issues! And, you read your title as it came out, I was not ready to read comics when the Indiana books were published, and you also have several signatures. With these big differences there is still a common goal, completion. Also, as you have pondered on what to do when you complete your set, I too have asked myself the same question on my set.

You are much closer to completion with only 2 left to go, I have 12 to go, and two of the issues I need have yet to reach 9.8. Hopefully the two issues you need will surface soon, with at least two 9.8 examples for both issues, don't want to get fleas! I can't wait to hear when you and Bagofleas complete your sets.

Brandon

I too look forward to the day that we both have our completed new mutants sets!!

As far as what comes next is concerned, that's entirely up to you.

I have a number of sets that I definitely want to complete someday. Further Adventures of Indiana Jones is one of them, along with Marvel Fanfare, Booster Gold, Dazzler and my Marvel Graphic Novels.

Being that there are fewer and fewer issues left to acquire on these sets, I have turned my attention more to upgrading them with signatures. I started with New Mutants, of course, but now I have moved into doing the same with my Dazzlers and Marvel Graphic Novels.

I will be getting a few Indiana Jones issues done next year, since I just acquired some beautiful raw copies that should get 9.8s!

I don't know what to recommend for you to focus on next. It's just something you have to decide for yourself. But whatever series is next, don't just base it on popularity or value. Base it on what the series means to you personally!

If you insist on a recommendation from me, I would say the first Moon Knight series! Sienkiewicz was heavily featured throughout the series and there are a manageable number of issues to get the whole set in a decently short amount of time.

As always, Big Brother, I wish you the best in your collecting goals!

I think you already know the answer to this question. With the journals you've written and the collection you've started...it's gotta be Daredevil! Good luck with your decision my friend. I know you'll keep us posted!

sig.jpg

For me and my completionist mind frame theirs always something more to go for and I have to say you and your brother here showed me that. While I was chasing after the top spot in four specific categories I kept having that little voice in the back of my head saying you can't appreciate where you are if you haven't appreciated where you came from. And with that mentality I started up on the New Mutants roster and specifically the Liefeld Set where my X-Force had originated from. I'd like to get each one signed by Rob and maybe a few others but understand and appreciate that you were the one that started me on this road.

As for next up... technically the New Mutants never did go away. Theirs still a whole other full Set to go.

Any interest in expanding to include all New Mutants appearances for a *complete* New Mutants set? Even if you only included those from the time period of the original series that would add a substantial but attainable amount.

Web of Spider-man Annual 2, Spellbound 4, Cloak and Dagger 4, New Warriors Annual 1, Marvel Super-Heroes 1 (1990), the Firestar, Magik, and Fallen Angels limited series, etc