• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earliest SCi-Fi comics?

38 posts in this topic

What were the earliest comics that had sci-fi material, or were all sci-fi?

I'm guessing it was some Buck Rogers reprinting (of news paper strips), but heck if I know what comic it was.

If that was reprint material (from strips) what was the first sci-fi comic with original material?

Edited by Miraclemet

From Mike Benton's excellent "Science Fiction Comics:"

Famous Funnies #3 began the first re-printing of Buck Rogers and thus the start of sci-fi in newstand comics.

New Fun #1 contained the first original sci-fi work with "Don Drake on the Planet Saro."

http://www.comics.org/issue/85/

Planet 1 was was the first comic devoted to original sci-fi stories.

Science Fiction by Siegel and Shuster. #3 had images to go with the story. It's where the story Reign of the Superman was published.

It is not a comic but an illustrated sci-fi story. Illustrated sci-fi stories were written by Jules Verne and HG Wells and others long before S&S's fanzine in 1932.

Mystery Men 2 probably had one of the earliest Sci-Fi covers. Rex Dexter by Fine and Briefer was terrific.

10412471823_5a4c1b7a78_z.jpg

Adventure had Cotton Carver.

8583805874_a127dd282e_c.jpg

Federal Men was also mostly Sci-Fi in those early stories. What else would Shuster write?

10412310914_49fe867f35_z.jpg10412326486_5812bd690a_z.jpg

DC also had Sci-Fi from Sheldon Mayer.10412325496_4f4cc3ec13_z.jpg

and Centaur had Wolverton. :cloud9:

2082119076_054c5114af_z.jpg

I don't think I have seen too many Wow What A Magazine issues. How many Sci-Fi stories did they publish?

8854798385_60a45bd436_c.jpg

5484104672_4d03d0b98b_z.jpg

I forgot those early Sci-Fi covers by Everett. He did Skyrocket Steele for Centaur and a Connie cover for Famous Funnies. Could that be the first Sci-Fi cover for FF? Nope, Buck was featured fighting the Invaders from Mars four issues earlier.

Edited by BB-Gun

I don't think I have seen too many Wow What A Magazine issues. How many Sci-Fi stories did they publish?

Paging Mr. Berk. Could you please consult your Wow's to inform the board on the Sci-fi stories contained wherein? My impression is it is a continuing time line story on the Man on the Moon story and Eisner's Scott Dalton series. That is the hero on the cover of issue #2 for those that have not seen any of these issues.

5229664136_da7e91d134_z.jpg

All-American comics had a couple of Sci-fi story-lines. Ultraman was in the future and there were some visitors from Mars and Venus in "Adventures in the Unknown"..

From All-American 2

1737394492_5336ea9e83_z.jpg

Some of those story-lines were replaced by new superheroes like Dr. Mid-Nite and Sargon.

10427925126_6c796afde5_c.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

So the New Fun you posted has a 1935 date. What is the date on that All American? I assume these stories are original content made for these books and not reprints. I believe many of the stories in the Wow books were originally printed in something called Wags, but I have never seen an issue, just going on memory there. Anything earlier than 1935 people?

Two other early strips that were continuing features in the early days were Don Dixon and the Hidden Empire which ran in The Funnies #'s 1-19 and Don Hastings which appeared in Star Comics #'s 2-9 (I think).

3083081026_269735e041.jpg

This was from Star 3, May 1937. I was searching for these stories the other night and only found a few strips and a text story but Guardineer work is always fun to see.

Edit: I added the date and changed the issue number.

Edited by BB-Gun