• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your WMD covers...

46 posts in this topic

3817755426_a2c4cd52d0.jpg

This one disappeared a while ago and I am not sure what the machine did but it probably was massive and destructive.

[font:Times New Roman]Love that cover just because it's so darned strange. For some odd reason what immediately comes to my mind are the X-Ray Specs ads that routinely graced the back of GA comics. But it's probably a nuclear matter transporter or some such. Whatever the gizmo does, it looks like something that most teen-age boys in the 1940's would find fascinating. lol

Here's a composite of several X-Ray Spec ads for comparison...

x-ray%20combined.jpg

[/font]

Great idea for a thread

Thanks! :acclaim:

ba7ed08a-6500-430e-be7e-d3687d2108e3_zps76b0af3d.jpg

This is one of my all-time favorite GA comic covers >:luhv:> (first drooled over as a B&W illustration some 40 years ago in Steranko's History of Comics).

Namor's generator-tank not only shoots lightning bolts, it apparently fries aircraft electrical systems causing them to plummet earthward! Alas, Schomburg's high voltage super-tank doesn't appear inside, but Burgos and Everett don't pull any punches. This epic, book-length tale features a wild assortment of world shaking WMD, from giant whirlpool generators to a fleet of weaponized whales.

This one disappeared a while ago and I am not sure what the machine did but it probably was massive and destructive.

[font:Times New Roman]Love that cover just because it's so darned strange. For some odd reason what immediately comes to my mind are the X-Ray Specs ads that routinely graced the back of GA comics. But it's probably a nuclear matter transporter or some such. Whatever the gizmo does, it looks like something that most teen-age boys in the 1940's would find fascinating. lol

[/font]

I love this cover too. One of my favorite Matt Baker covers! :cloud9:

Atomic4cgc96_zpsdd840190.jpg

[/font]

I don't think that is by Baker. Webb signed the stories and probably did the cover.

:devil:

[/font]

I don't think that is by Baker. Webb signed the stories and probably did the cover.

Interestingly GCD lists Jack Kamen. So where does CGC go to for attributions?

[/font]

[font:Times New Roman]I think both attributions may be wrong, My best guess would be Al Feldstein.[/font] hm

[/font]

Overstreet lists the cover to Atomic Comics #4 as Matt Baker along with a 2 page story.

[font:Times New Roman]I think both attributions may be wrong, My best guess would be Al Feldstein.[/font] hm

Doesn't look like a Feldstein face on the woman to me. (shrug)

[font:Times New Roman]Arguments could be made for and against. I've seen examples of his work from this period that bear a stylistic resemblance (Sunny, Seven Seas, etc.), but there are other artists whose work between 1945-50 fits as well.

M'thinks this mystery won't be easily solved. [/font] smiley-char145.gif

10511892165_7e14a0c6ba_c.jpg

Some Lucky Wings pages by Webb

and some Kid Kane pages by Baker.

10511893295_3db2ec2221_c.jpg

There are a few panels in another Lucky Wings story that look like work by Kamen but the story was signed by the generic Iger shop name.

10515787603_1ba01b6cd3_c.jpg

Here is the story page that describes the effects of the WMD in Atomic 4. Art doesn't look like Kamen on this page but I would support a Feldstein ink job if we can find more of his work for Green Publication.

10515787603_1ba01b6cd3_c.jpg

Here is the story page that describes the effects of the WMD in Atomic 4. Art doesn't look like Kamen on this page but I would support a Feldstein ink job if we can find more of his work for Green Publication.

[font:Times New Roman]Alternatively, did Green Publications solicit art from the Iger Studio. Before freelancing for Victor Fox and others Feldstein worked for Iger after his release from the service in 1945. Any connection with the Iger Studio would provide additional support for speculation. hm

Quote attribution (http://wertham.webs.com/creators/feldstein.html) Al Feldstein:

"After I was discharged from Service in World War II, I returned to the Iger Studio while awaiting admission to Columbia University under the G.I. bill, planning to continue my Education courses necessary for my Teaching Degree... and I was almost immediately making more money than a starting Art Teacher. I had been married while in Service and my wife wanted to start a family... so I gave up my hopes of becoming an Art Teacher... and continued working at Iger's. And I began to realize that, while I was being paid $75.00 a week, I was turning out at least a page and a half a day of comic book art... which Mr. Iger was selling for $35.00 a page to the Comic Book Publishers he was servicing. Which meant that if I struck out on my own and started free-lancing... all I needed to do was three pages (two day's work!) a week to make more than I was making at Iger's. So I quit.

I started free-lancing for various Publishers doing whatever I was assigned, and eventually specializing in teenage comic book art. My big break came when I visited Fox Publications with my portfolio, and they were looking for someone to package a teenage comic book for them. They liked the art that they saw, but they wanted someone to do the entire package - art and writing. So I lied. I told them that my wife was a writer and we could do the job as a team. I ended up doing three teenage books for Victor Fox - which, of course, I wrote as well as drew: Junior, Sunny and Corliss Archer.

Bill Gaines's father, Max Gaines (who invented the comic book, was a partner of the DC/Superman people, had sold out to them and had started Educational Comics) had been killed in a tragic speedboat accident on Lake Placid, where the family had a summer home; and Bill's mother was insisting that he take over the business. His father's business manager, Sol Cohen, invited me down to their offices because he wanted me to meet Bill and to talk about doing a teenage book for them. Bill and I hit it off immediately and we signed a contract for me to do Going Steady With Peggy, which we later mutually agreed to tear up when the teenage market crashed while I was working on the first story for the first issue."[/font]