• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

I'm starting to think that a lot of the McFarlane Spideys are currently in the category of undervalued. I've been seeing them in bargain boxes more and more. I pulled a few out of a 3/$1 box at a little convention yesterday (a 307, 313, and a couple of the later ones).

The dealer I bought them from runs a LCS around here. I asked him about it, and he said that he had so much of that stuff that he just needed to get rid of some of it.

These were books I felt were wildly overvalued when they originally got hot, but now I'm finding a fair number of them in $1-$2 boxes around here. I'm generally not one to buy books purely for resale (my wife and I call it buying a chore), but at 3/$1 I couldn't help myself.

I've encountered some great deals from sellers applying Chuck's valuation-philosophy, pricing their books according to inventory.

I'm starting to think that a lot of the McFarlane Spideys are currently in the category of undervalued. I've been seeing them in bargain boxes more and more. I pulled a few out of a 3/$1 box at a little convention yesterday (a 307, 313, and a couple of the later ones).

The dealer I bought them from runs a LCS around here. I asked him about it, and he said that he had so much of that stuff that he just needed to get rid of some of it.

These were books I felt were wildly overvalued when they originally got hot, but now I'm finding a fair number of them in $1-$2 boxes around here. I'm generally not one to buy books purely for resale (my wife and I call it buying a chore), but at 3/$1 I couldn't help myself.

I buy these when I see them cheap. They will always sell.

I've encountered some great deals from sellers applying Chuck's valuation-philosophy, pricing their books according to inventory.

Interesting thought. hm

Interesting thought. hm

It depends how much a seller wants to sell something. He could hoard them for a long time at a high price and just have a ton of stock, value could drop though. Large retailers need to move stock to keep cash flowing, smaller guys 10 or 20 books don't really do much.

3/$1 is ridiculous for those unless they're in tatters. i can put them out at my yard sale and get $1 each for that stuff in VG.

Interesting thought. hm

seems sort of dumb to me. just how much space is he clearing up blowing those out when he presumably has stacks of long boxes of other krap that legitimately needs to be 3 or 4 or 5/$1 to ever sell. why blow stuff out for 3/$1 when it can easily sell for $1 or $2? makes no sense. there is a market for those books. it isn't guide prices for most of them, but it isn't the quarter box either.

This seems unlikely to me.

Count Duckula 3 is the 1st American comic book appearance of a cartoon character that appears in two dozen much earlier comics in the UK, and then never appears in comic books in either country again. Is someone really going to watch a 2015 BBC cartoon based on a 1981 BBC cartoon and think "Boy, I wish I had the 1991 american comic book with a backup story about this!"?

Count Duckula 3 is the 1st American comic book appearance of a cartoon character that appears in two dozen much earlier comics in the UK, and then never appears in comic books in either country again. Is someone really going to watch a 2015 BBC cartoon based on a 1981 BBC cartoon and think "Boy, I wish I had the 1991 american comic book with a backup story about this!"?

Who knows, I really don't care what their reasoning is. People are gaga over anything being optioned these days.

Who knows, I really don't care what their reasoning is. People are gaga over anything being optioned these days.

There is a cut off point. Even during it's popular days, Danger Mouse was pretty crappy and didn't have a large following and just doesn't have what it takes to get the speculating sheep too excited.

This is like speculating on Black Belt Hamsters #1 or some similar junk.

There is a cut off point. Even during it's popular days, Danger Mouse was pretty crappy and didn't have a large following and just doesn't have what it takes to get the speculating sheep too excited.

I sold my set of 4 no problem, picked them up for $0.25 each. Was that a cartoon?

I just read Hamsters #1 last night after plucking it out of the 50 cent bin a couple years ago. It was far worse than I expected.

All I'm sayin' is that DM fans should want it and considering how many episodes were made there is def a fan base. There just aren't that many DM appearances out there. Sellers will turn their noses up at this one but true collectors should want it. Oh and there's a newsstand for this one too! The Look-in's predate this appearance but good luck finding those in the states. What's not to like? It looks like it's going to be written by one of the Horrible Histories writers which sounds great to me. I just hope someone gets smart and makes a Yonderland comic.

All I'm sayin' is that DM fans should want it and considering how many episodes were made there is was def a fan base. There just aren't that many DM appearances out there. Sellers will turn their noses up at this one but true collectors should want it. Oh and there's a newsstand for this one too! The Look-in's predate this appearance but good luck finding those in the states. What's not to like? It looks like it's going to be written by one of the Horrible Histories writers which sounds great to me. I just hope someone gets smart and makes a Yonderland comic.

True collectors of what? Danger Mouse is not a comic book character, he's a cartoon character who appeared in a small number of comic books. The show has been gone for almost 25 years, since right around the time he made his debut (and quick exit) in American comics.

I used to watch Danger Mouse occasionally when I was a kid, but I barely remember anything other than it being another below average (production) quality cartoon.

I have hundreds of books that I "deem Key."

I'm a hoarder...

I lust for the "pop"

Here's one:

It's eight years old.

It's easy to find for a dollar.

Teen Titans (vol. 3) #37

The 1st appearance of Miss Martian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Martian

Why?

Go to a major show.

There's ALWAYS tons of Miss Martian cosplayers.]

It's a grass roots movement happening before our eyes.

Fans love Miss Martian.

She appeals to the TV crowd. ( Smallville )

She appeals to the video game crowd.

She appeals to the cartoon crowd.

NO slutty boob window. She's a potential strong female role model.

Editors pay attention to that stuff now.

It's just a matter of tome before her New 52 debut marketed towards the surging geek girl movement.

It's a dollar, buy a few you cheap b-astards.

I have hundreds & it's time to blow this one up.

Watch me do it.

Get one now...

( It's a black cover, a m-otherf in high grade )

Teen Titans in general are so worth collecting (and reading :o ).

:whee: