• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

The DC Universe books aren't reprints, unless they are second or later printings.

The earliest ones are reprints (GL #36, for example), but most of them were printed at the same time, for the multi-packs and collector's packs.

When the crossover from UPC box art to "Direct Edition" occurred in late 1993, DC wisely remembered the problems Whitman had had over a decade earlier, and chose "DC Universe" instead of having a UPC code on the cover which might inadvertently get scanned.

Not reprints, how so? They are simply a comic with a different logo where the UPC or direct image would be placed. As far as I know there were no DC Universes only comics.

The Man of Steel 18 had a roman numeral V which makes it a 5th printing. That's a reprint.

Yes it is, along with Adventures of Superman #499 3rd, Action #686 2nd, Man of Steel #20 2nd, Adventures of Supes #498 4th, etc, as explained above.

What is the deal with the premium edition Nich Fury v. Shield books:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICK-FURY-VS-S-H-I-E-L-D-1988-Series-1-Near-Mint-Comics-Book-/231315320509?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35db77aebd

Gorgeous Steranko covers, a character that is interesting again, but they are worthless. Were these printed by the warehouse full or something?

I was on my sabbatical from comics in 1988 and a few years after that, so I don't know anything about when this came out. But I have bought a few copies of these cheap over the years from my shop and I guess they had them in old stock and they had computer generated price tags of $15-$20 a pop on them. Was this ever, even briefly, such a hot book? That was real money back then. I generally ignore sticker prices on books like this, but I know these guys and they usually aren't that delusional about pricing back issues, although, who knows, with the frenzy 20+ years ago they may have been more aggressive. I have Spawn 21s from them with $10 and $15 sticker prices too. Ditto for Batman: Cult books, also like $10-$20 sticker prices.

What is the deal with the premium edition Nich Fury v. Shield books:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICK-FURY-VS-S-H-I-E-L-D-1988-Series-1-Near-Mint-Comics-Book-/231315320509?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35db77aebd

Gorgeous Steranko covers, a character that is interesting again, but they are worthless. Were these printed by the warehouse full or something?

I was on my sabbatical from comics in 1988 and a few years after that, so I don't know anything about when this came out. But I have bought a few copies of these cheap over the years from my shop and I guess they had them in old stock and they had computer generated price tags of $15-$20 a pop on them. Was this ever, even briefly, such a hot book? That was real money back then. I generally ignore sticker prices on books like this, but I know these guys and they usually aren't that delusional about pricing back issues, although, who knows, with the frenzy 20+ years ago they may have been more aggressive. I have Spawn 21s from them with $10 and $15 sticker prices too. Ditto for Batman: Cult books, also like $10-$20 sticker prices.

Yes, these enjoyed a brief period of popularity back in 1988-89.

Not long, but enough for #2 to be the book everyone wanted ("low distribution.")

After that, nothing.

It sold for a penny!?!

Haha, wow.

$5.01 actually.

how so?

Does your LCS charge shipping & handling when you get to the register?

shipping on that was $3, not $5.

and yes, that means the book was worth $3.01 to someone for them to own it. justification for it maybe being a $1-$3 book in a comic shop or non-shipping setting for sure. almost anything can be justified at that price.

but it didn't "sell for" $3.01 as far as the seller is concerned. it sold for a penny and the seller needs to figure out how to get it to the buyer with the other $3. maybe they can ship it for $2.25? maybe. after fees they have lost money I think or got pretty close.

certainly not a basis to price it at $3 later on and then charge $4 shipping. (of course, a seller can try whatever they want...)

It sold for a penny!?!

Haha, wow.

$5.01 actually.

how so?

and yes, that means the book was worth $3.01 to someone for them to own it. justification for it maybe being a $1-$3 book in a comic shop or non-shipping setting for sure. almost anything can be justified at that price.

but it didn't "sell for" $3.01 as far as the seller is concerned. it sold for a penny and the seller needs to figure out how to get it to the buyer with the other $3. maybe they can ship it for $2.25? maybe. after fees they have lost money I think or got pretty close.

certainly not a basis to price it at $3 later on and then charge $4 shipping. (of course, a seller can try whatever they want...)

Yea, you're time must be worth nothing if you're selling comics for that price.

It isn't like neatstuff's old model where they sold tons of stuff for 99 cents (less? i forget), but then charged $1 for each additional comic for shipping (with a $5 base?) and I guess shipped big lots media. and ebay wasn't taking a % on the shipping charges.

I sold a MOS #19 3rd 9.8 for $200 recently.

That's about all i have to add as far as that stuff though getting bigger money.

The MOS 18 reprints have all gotten good money even 2nd-4th in the $40-$100 range.

The Batman #497 3rd gets decent money.

The DC universe variants are very undervalued IMO.

One trend that I have been noticing is that these huge print run books do very well with even the slightest variation. (UPC, DC universe, later print, whatever)

When the bigger printed regular versions are getting $15-$20 the variations (or later printings) are more sought after. People want something more unique even if it's something very slight.

I noticed the later printings when slabbed as a 9.8 don't sell for huge money $50-60 or so unless it's a MOS 18 5th print

Try putting together high grade runs of news stand books from the late mid 90's-2004. Some of these things are tough. I finally got a Gen 13 #1 price variant 9.8 recently after searching for one for over a decade. Finding 9.8 candidates in the Amazing spider-man Vol.2 news stand run is proving to be next to impossible. I've sold some that I thought were solid 9.4's for $20. (not the better one's like #19,20 but the more common ones like 1-15)

Superman Adventures, Batman Adventures, Justice League Adventures, TMNT Adventures in 9.8 are going to be worth a good amount one day. There are literally zero 9.8's (or any graded for that matter) on the vast majority of these. Just wait until the kids that were reading these get old enough to buy 9.8 copies.

DC universe variants, and Ama vol.2 1-29 news stand, Spawn news stand,

these are all books that I feel will see a huge increase at some point. It's already started on some of them.

It sold for a penny!?!

Haha, wow.

$5.01 actually.

how so?

Of course, if that issue was just an add-on for a buyer who was already buying something and getting combined shipping, then it was purchased for a penny.

Try putting together high grade runs of news stand books from the late mid 90's-2004. Some of these things are tough. I finally got a Gen 13 #1 price variant 9.8 recently after searching for one for over a decade. Finding 9.8 candidates in the Amazing spider-man Vol.2 news stand run is proving to be next to impossible. I've sold some that I thought were solid 9.4's for $20. (not the better one's like #19,20 but the more common ones like 1-15)

Superman Adventures, Batman Adventures, Justice League Adventures, TMNT Adventures in 9.8 are going to be worth a good amount one day. There are literally zero 9.8's (or any graded for that matter) on the vast majority of these. Just wait until the kids that were reading these get old enough to buy 9.8 copies.

these are all books that I feel will see a huge increase at some point. It's already started on some of them.

+1 on those adventure books, especially those Batman Adventures. (thumbs u

Think Star Comics on steroids interest wise with the rule of 25 lurking around the corner.

+1 on those adventure books, especially those Batman Adventures. (thumbs u

Think Star Comics on steroids interest wise with the rule of 25 lurking around the corner.

I recently bought a Gen #13 black box which apparently holds all the Gen #13 #1 variants. Thank the gods that I don't have to track those suckers down individually. It was one of the 1st multiple variants covers that I recall going nuts back in the early 90's. Back when Image #1's were king. :headbang: