• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Action Comics ----ALL SOLD!

40 posts in this topic

Action Comics #75 CGC 7.0 $500

That's a Cookeville Pedigree book.

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

Any idea why SN was written on the covers?

It's most likely a distributor code so that the newsstand would know who to return unsold copies to.

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

It's most likely a distributor code so that the newsstand would know who to return unsold copies to.

I think there are also Cookeville books with another set of initials on them as well as the SN, aren't there?

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

I think there are also Cookeville books with another set of initials on them as well as the SN, aren't there?

They would be used to indicate a different distributor. Church copies have D codes and C codes depending on the distributor.

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

Thanks, my man! :headbang:

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

nope

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

nope

I was sure it was the Cookeville books that I was talking about with someone this past summer, where some books have an SN and some books have an SN and another set of initials...but I could be wrong. I know there is a pedigree where there were alternating initials on the covers. Just can't remember then which one it was.

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

nope

I was sure it was the Cookeville books that I was talking about with someone this past summer, where some books have an SN and some books have an SN and another set of initials...but I could be wrong. I know there is a pedigree where there were alternating initials on the covers. Just can't remember then which one it was.

From the link you posted:

Cookevilles are very easy to recognize because of the "SN" mark. Sometimes the owner's name, Leroy Mackie can be found on the cover as well.

Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

nope

Cookevilles are very easy to recognize because of the "SN" mark. Sometimes the owner's name, Leroy Mackie can be found on the cover as well.

Nope, I read that.

The story someone reiterated to me explained why a certain pedigree had two different markings on the cover and it came down to the person working at the grocery store where the books were bought. Two different people handling the books put different markings on them.

No worry, just trying to jog my memory.

Thanks Roy! (thumbs u

nope

Nope, I read that.

The story someone reiterated to me explained why a certain pedigree had two different markings on the cover and it came down to the person working at the grocery store where the books were bought. Two different people handling the books put different markings on them.

No worry, just trying to jog my memory.

You're thinking of the Larson collection -- sometimes it's Lamont and sometimes it's Larson.

You're thinking of the Larson collection -- sometimes it's Lamont and sometimes it's Larson.

Nope, I'm well aware of the Larson variations.

The story specifically was related to two different people working at the newsstand that the comics were coming from, and depending on who worked, their initials were put on the books. That's the reason the Cookeville books came to mind...because of the initials on the books.

It's very possible that it wasn't a recognized Pedigree and just a collection.

Wish I could remember.

The story specifically was related to two different people working at the newsstand that the comics were coming from, and depending on who worked, their initials were put on the books. That's the reason the Cookeville books came to mind...because of the initials on the books.

Wish I could remember.

Nic Cage put "NC" on all the books that he bought. Perhaps you're thinking of him....

lol

Nope. As I said, the story behind the initials is traced to the two people who worked at the newsstand where the books were sold.

It'll come to me.

Wish I could remember.

The Larsons fit your criteria -- depending on who was at the newstand they wrote either Larson or Lamont on the comic.

Walclark is our resident expert in all things Cookeville, and authored an outstanding piece on The Cookeville Collection earlier this year. While most of the books carry the SN marking, some have a NN marking. SN and NN were sisters who both worked at the store where Leroy Mackie and his brother purchased most of their books. Mystery solved!

:grin:

Walclark is our resident expert in all things Cookeville, and authored an outstanding piece on The Cookeville Collection earlier this year. While most of the books carry the SN marking, some have a NN marking. SN and NN were sisters who both worked at the store where Leroy Mackie and his brother purchased most of their books. Mystery solved!

:grin:

I knew it. This was the same story I had heard. I was afraid to suggest that they were sisters but that's how I remembered the story.

To the naysayers.... :slapfight:

And I ^^

depending on who worked, their initials were put on the books
This goes beyond what was stated in the article. It states that the SN or NN was written by the girl with the matching initials but not why or when. They could still be distributor codes if each girl was assigned to place & pull comics from two different distributors that supplied their employer.