• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVENGERS #11 FOR SALE - SPIDER-MAN APPEARANCE

45 posts in this topic

Feel free to trash the book and me some more if you wish. frustrated.gif

It's not "trashing". Trashing, i.e. destructive criticism, is when we tell you that you or something you're doing sucks and don't tell you why or offer any way to improve it. What we're offering is constructive criticism by telling you the source of the problem and giving you suggestions to avoid it in the future.

If people didn't so this for each other, we'd never improve...constructive criticism is always a good thing once a person has adjusted their ego to be able to recognize and take it. thumbsup2.gif

It's not "trashing". Trashing, i.e. destructive criticism, is when we tell you that you or something you're doing sucks and don't tell you why or offer any way to improve it. What we're offering is constructive criticism by telling you the source of the problem and giving you suggestions to avoid it in the future.

If people didn't so this for each other, we'd never improve...constructive criticism is always a good thing once a person has adjusted their ego to be able to recognize and take it. thumbsup2.gif

Was that biting sense of humor really necessary? Just drop it.

We fully expect your participation in the next individual grading contest, complete with high-res scans and identification of "unseen" defects of course! thumbsup2.gif

When they PM'ed me to participate in the LAST one, I told them I'd happily do it if they'd do the high-res scans and defect inventories! But since they weren't doing it in the "warm-ups", I figured they wouldn't be doing it in the actual contest, and they never really addressed it, so I didn't sign up. frown.gif

I'm currently trying to develop a photographic technique to make defects more easily visible in scans...I can't help but wonder whether taking a pic of a comic with fluorescent light shining on it at an angle with a VERY high-res digital camera will make surface impression defects more visible than a pic taken on a flatbad scanner. My girlfriend just got a 7 million megapixel cam for her birthday, and now I just have to find time to borrow it and try some photography with comics under light...I'm hoping for near-total visibility of defects but haven't figured out whether my hypothesis is correct or not! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I got the idea after seeing a few pics like this taken with lower-res cams which made some surface impressions easier to see, but because of the low resolution, many normally visible color-breaking defects were actually tougher to see than the surface impressions which caught some glare from the angled light source.

The pic below is the first example I can remember seeing of the photographic lighting I'm talking about...if I could take pics like this but at a MUCH higher resolution and with a brighter, more focused light source, I can't help but wonder whether they're either more useful than flatbed scans, or that they're an excellent complement to flatbed scans. confused-smiley-013.gif

Spidey58.jpg

I saw it as condescending and patronizing ...no "humor" at all.

It wasn't a sense of humor at all. I was dead serious...lifelong education and improvement of myself and others is an integral part of my character. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS a good thing, although I'm always confounded by how many people aren't able to understand that. confused.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Yea, most people do think it's ego-driven as you do...which is very, very frustrating to me. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Yea, most people do think it's ego-driven as you do...which is very, very frustrating to me. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Glad to be of service... INFO-BOY . thumbsup2.gif

I'm not talking about the substance of your message (which is fine), I'm talking about the way you typed it.

I think SS did nothing wrong - he is learning as it is evidenced by his low feedback. It's the way that you and SF jumped on him. Maybe you guys let years and years of frustration let out, but please, go do it on someone like Chuck.

Exactly. You were giving SS a hard-time...so I returned the favour. thumbsup2.gif

Pretty big difference, though! I offered him constructive criticism...you resorted to name-calling, which is destructive. It's the difference between telling someone "your hair looks like [!@#%^&^]" and "next time you get your hair cut, you should get them to leave the bangs over your forehead, because it really frames your eyes in a pretty way."

Exactly. You were giving SS a hard-time...so I returned the favour. thumbsup2.gif

Pretty big difference, though! I offered him constructive criticism...you resorted to name-calling, which is destructive. It's the difference between telling someone "your hair looks like [!@#%^&^]" and "next time you get your hair cut, you should get them to leave the bangs over your forehead, because it really frames your eyes in a pretty way."

Didn't realize you would take offence to "INFO-BOY"... sorry.gif

I think SS did nothing wrong - he is learning as it is evidenced by his low feedback. It's the way that you and SF jumped on him

Actually, I was the one that JUMPED on him. The reason was simple.

He KNOWS this book has multiple tear/crease lines in the middle of the book, yet they are almost impossible to see in the scan. But he says in his description, HIGH GRADE and ALL DEFECTS can be seen in the scan.

I am almost positive if the book didn't have those creases (which I admit are hard to grade), he would have called the book HIGH-GRADE and probably said VF/NM or something like that (which would be a reasonable assessment of the grade). But because of the funky tears / creases (which might even bring the book down to the VG grade), he has decided to ignore them in his description.

This is why I never buy ungraded books off of eBay anymore. It's the hot potato game. He feels that he got taken (dealer said the book was a 9.0), and he's trying to minimize his loss.

Just the way I see it.

I guess giving books is a good thing too but I will have trouble doing that after reading this thread. Remind me to give you my "constructive criticism" next time you try and sell something. Suddenly the source of the problem is not the book. I hope you can adjust your ego enough to accept this message. foreheadslap.gif

It wasn't a sense of humor at all. I was dead serious...lifelong education and improvement of myself and others is an integral part of my character. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS a good thing, although I'm always confounded by how many people aren't able to understand that. confused.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

holy [!@#%^&^], you're not my father are you?

I think SS did nothing wrong - he is learning as it is evidenced by his low feedback. It's the way that you and SF jumped on him

He KNOWS this book has multiple tear/crease lines in the middle of the book, yet they are almost impossible to see in the scan. But he says in his description, HIGH GRADE and ALL DEFECTS can be seen in the scan.

I am almost positive if the book didn't have those creases (which I admit are hard to grade), he would have called the book HIGH-GRADE and probably said VF/NM or something like that (which would be a reasonable assessment of the grade). But because of the funky tears / creases (which might even bring the book down to the VG grade), he has decided to ignore them in his description.

This is why I never buy ungraded books off of eBay anymore. It's the hot potato game. He feels that he got taken (dealer said the book was a 9.0), and he's trying to minimize his loss.

Just the way I see it.

Hey let's just back it up for a minute. First off SF I have no problem with you at all but I was taken back by the tone of your initial post. Secondly, you and can save the image off EBay and on to your computer and zoom in on the book so what's the problem? The crease in Spidey's face IS visble and I have already explained how I went about posting the picture of this on EBay so if that's not good enough for you well too bad.

I feel like I am under cross examination. confused-smiley-013.gif It was nice of you to conclude what I was thinking in my head (being taken by a dealer, minimize my losses, etc) but where do you come off making those assumptions? Sorry your wrong. I am happy if I have to keep this book but I am trying to sell a few so I can make other purchases (Burntboy has one on hold for me as we speak) and I'm not trying to minimize any losses. I posted this in the grading section so I could get a guage on the grade. If someone asked me what I thought I would tell 7.5 because that was the general consensus (not that I fully agree with that grade) but what should I do. Do I say creases or production creases? Is one worse than the other? Should I also admit that I might have read this in the bathroom at one point?

How can you suggest that the book might grade as VG-VF in one sentence and then blame me for not placing a grade on it or providing enough detail in the next? makepoint.gif You are obviously not listening to what I had to say earlier. Like I said before I would have pulled this if there wasn't a bid on it already and I don't mean to be an arse but I go away for dinner and when I come back this thread has gone completely out of control. I made a mistake loading the picture on EBay, I have admited to that, but if you want to call me a liar or dishonest then that's where I draw the line (or crease).

Just the way I see it.

And who made you God again?

hey everybody - chill..........

SS has gotta dig up a little dough to pick up a book that he's wanted a while from me. so let him make his sale.............. grin.gif

and i hear everybody's opinion here and understand the various points of view. as usual, i'll just pretend i'm Swiss..................... 27_laughing.gif