• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

which is the better read: EC sci-fi or horror?

EC sci-fi vs. horror  

156 members have voted

1. 1. EC sci-fi vs. horror

24 posts in this topic

For the people on here who have read both, which EC genre has the better stories in your opinion, sci-fi or horror? I have only ever read the horror titles so I am unable to give an opinion. If you even wanna specify which titles out of the genre you liked best that would be great too. obviously EC is popular around here so I would like to know which genre you simply enjoyed more, for whatever reason.

Their sci-fi stories are frequently a combination of horror and sci-fi so if you like their horror you're likely to enjoy their sci-fi. Gaines & Feldstein were most proud of the sci-fi and they published it even though it didn't make much money for them.

]Their sci-fi stories are frequently a combination of horror and sci-fi[/b] so if you like their horror you're likely to enjoy their sci-fi. Gaines & Feldstein were most proud of the sci-fi and they published it even though it didn't make much money for them.

see, I did not know that. Thought maybe there was a bigger difference between the two. I plan on picking up some of the sci-fi reprints soon.

There are some excellent Ray Bradbury adaptions among the sci-fi stories and they usually include horror elements.

The Shock Suspense title contained horror, crime and sci-fi stories and their issues are worth reading for the horror fan.

No argument EC had some spectacular horror books, but if you have to pick between SF and Horror there's really no contest in my mind.

Wood's version of Bradbury's "There Will Come Soft Rains" is one of my top 10 all time favorite comic book stories, period; and "My World" comes close. "Judgement Day" is not just a classic comic story, it's a classic SF story, full stop.

Their sci-fi stories are frequently a combination of horror and sci-fi so if you like their horror you're likely to enjoy their sci-fi. Gaines & Feldstein were most proud of the sci-fi and they published it even though it didn't make much money for them.

Horror and sci-fi were always sister genres, at least during the pre-code era. However even a horrorhead like myself would admit that there was more of a formula in their horror books, and that the sci-fi titles were the best things they did.

No argument EC had some spectacular horror books, but if you have to pick between SF and Horror there's really no contest in my mind.

Wood's version of Bradbury's "There Will Come Soft Rains" is one of my top 10 all time favorite comic book stories, period; and "My World" comes close. "Judgement Day" is not just a classic comic story, it's a classic SF story, full stop.

Agreed with most of that. But my favourite Bradbury adaptation is 'The a Flying Machine' in Weird Science Fantasy 23 - gorgeous art and a poignant story. (We could quibble about it being SF though.) 'A sound of thunder' in 25 is also great, and definitely SF.

The Sci Fi is unmatched....... although the Pacific / Eclipse title, Alien Worlds made a fine attempt at the genre..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. My favorite horror has always been that with a sci fi undercurrent.... like Lovecraft for example....

Horror and sci-fi were always sister genres, at least during the pre-code era. However even a horrorhead like myself would admit that there was more of a formula in their horror books, and that the sci-fi titles were the best things they did.

+1

While the sc-fi books are generally acknowledged to have superior writing, genre preference probably wins out. I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, though I was as a kid, and personally enjoy the horror stories more, even if they are formulaic. But I'd rather read the crime books over all.

The sci-fi are usually more thought provoking and give one food for thought. The horror stories are just plain fun, and usually with tongue planted firmly in cheek. For that reason, I prefer the horror, but I voted for both equally good. You really can't go wrong with any EC books. I've never read an issue that didn't have at least one really good story.

Although I love all EC, Weird Science and Weird Fantasy are my favorites, the most classic and innovative to my mind. The horror stuff for me just gets a little old. But Wally Wood, Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta... just some of the best art in the history of comics. And then you get the occasional Krigstein masterpieces... it doesn't get much better.

EC was best know for the high quality of story and art for their Sci-Fi (although it was the horror that kept the lights on at the EC offices).

After the sci-fi, the best stories were there shock/suspense stories. Great morality plays that touched on the topics of the time: racism, bigotry, the red scare - with great art, busty gals, and memorable dialogue!

Sci-fi over horror, and war over everything.

I had been working on a full run of E.C.s, but have since purged a big chunk of it. The Kurtzman titles, Two-Fisted Tales, Frontline Combat and Mad ( ok, Panic too) are now the only full runs I have.

IMHO the war stories written by Kurtzman, like Corpse on the Imjin or the Big Iff, are better stories than anything in the SF or Horror books.
I've never read a comic book story better than those 2. (thumbs u

IMHO the war stories written by Kurtzman, like Corpse on the Imjin or the Big Iff, are better stories than anything in the SF or Horror books.
I've never read a comic book story better than those 2. (thumbs u

What books are these two stories in?