• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Long Term Investment?? BA 12 vs WD 19

86 posts in this topic

Some day the TV show will end and BA 12 will keep going strong.

Agreed, but with as many books Kirkman has written ahead of where the series is currently at, would AMC really stop anytime soon??????

The answer has to be no. As long as the public is faithfully watching, there is no end in site. Watchers=money!

TWD #19

8,000 vs 75,000

Michonne is proving to be a constant on an ever changing show. Harley looks different every year. The statues etc have been out for ages.

This is the big *bang* for the character. There are simply too many out there to sustain the $1000+ figures being thrown around for a 9.8.

$1000 for a comic with 75,000 copies? Now if HQ gets a feature film of her own, then that's a whole new game, but as things stand right NOW then Michonne is better equipped to be a more stable comic.

I would dread to have paid $1000 and then someone finds 2000 copies in pristine condition in a forgotten warehouse. Obviously I do not wish that to happen. The other factor, is that TWD has not been on free-to-air as far as I know, anywhere yet. It's on cable in the states? Its on Fox here and I assume sky in the UK.

Outside of the US, cable is not as common - certainly here 60-65% of people rely on FTA - so the potential for new viewers - and buyers is enormous.

HQ? Outside of the comic fraternity, I am not sure she will appeal to many over 30,s.

2c

TWD #19

8,000 vs 75,000

Michonne is proving to be a constant on an ever changing show. Harley looks different every year. The statues etc have been out for ages.

This is the big *bang* for the character. There are simply too many out there to sustain the $1000+ figures being thrown around for a 9.8.

$1000 for a comic with 75,000 copies? Now if HQ gets a feature film of her own, then that's a whole new game, but as things stand right NOW then Michonne is better equipped to be a more stable comic.

I would dread to have paid $1000 and then someone finds 2000 copies in pristine condition in a forgotten warehouse. Obviously I do not wish that to happen. The other factor, is that TWD has not been on free-to-air as far as I know, anywhere yet. It's on cable in the states? Its on Fox here and I assume sky in the UK.

Outside of the US, cable is not as common - certainly here 60-65% of people rely on FTA - so the potential for new viewers - and buyers is enormous.

HQ? Outside of the comic fraternity, I am not sure she will appeal to many over 30,s.

2c

Again, where are you getting 75k? Later issues from the same run indicate printings closer to 35-40k. At least when looking at the data I know of.

All I know is what I read and BA put 100K print runs on most of their run.

The one thing that is for certain, is that there isn't a dedicated,strictly, female movie coming anytime soon.

So bottom line is WD 19 has a better chance at more value long term?????Seeming more and more likely.....

And $1000 for a 9.8 BA12 :sick:

But I guess the same could be said about a 9.8 #19 WD

I also see the $1000 price tags for BA12 in 9.8, but they aren't selling at that price.

I think right now, BA12 in 9.8 is selling for slightly more than WD 19 in the same grade.

The original question is what is the best buy.

If I had the choice, I'd take a BA12 at 9.8 for $750 than WD 19 in the same grade and price.

But "right now" is that the best buy?

I think with the print runs and what will come out in the next few months, WD 19 will be the best buy for the early, foreseeable future. Print run being the the biggest proponent....

Still Beige is right 8,000 to 40,000 (shrug)

Of course the difference in print run will be significant regardless. But if you are estimating this book to be between 75 and 100k and its actually closer to 35 or 40k that would have a huge effect on how many raw high grade copies still in the exist in the wild for a 20 year old book.

The Walking Dead is already in the midst of its peak in terms of being out there with a number 1 tv show and a book with a print run over 100k. DC can utilize Harley across all forms of entertainment for the next 50 years.

It took long enough for Junkdrawer to chime in! :D

Was wondering how long it would take to get his 2 cents! :)

Obviously;y it's all speculation.

But bottom line, who has the true print run on BA12. That will ultimately show the worth. If there is 4x more BA12's than WD 19, then everyone and their brothers will find one in their collections and try and cash out, flooding the market.........Right??!!

TWD #19

8,000 vs 75,000

2c

Walking Dead 19's print run is close to 20K, not 8K. Also BA12 is a borderline kids book, so almost every copy you find out there in the wild is thrashed. WD19 was bought by readers too, but adult readers. I honestly don't think print run is a factor here.

I agree with most everything else you said though.

Oh man... this is a GOOD question. :juggle:

On one end - I think BA12 is the "easy" choice. Harley is a huge character and one of the biggest "new" characters to pop up in a long time. (I know, she's not that new)...and superheroes/villains seem to have longer staying power.

That being said - something about WD19 just screams Modern Key. It's become such an iconic cover and I don't even collect WD. I think BA12 will be the better long term investment, but personally - I would rather own WD19 just because of the cover.

2c