• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unique Piece for the Avid Timely Collector

13 posts in this topic

After enjoying this wonderful piece for a number of years, it is time to pass it on.

HUMAN TORCH #2 ORIGINAL PROMOTIONAL COVER

Incredibly rare piece of Golden Age promotional material. This 7.5 inch x 10 inch promotional brochure was sent out to announce the second issue (#3) of Timely's 1940 Human Torch series. Schomburg's classic cover is on the front, and the interior reads:

"Here it is... the Human Torch No. 2. After the most amazing sale ever shown by a newcomer in the comics field, 92%, Human Torch Fall Issue, will be the percentage magazine of 1940. The second issue of Human Torch is ready to bring you a fast turnover in dealer sales. Now Shipping -- Place on sale December 20th."

The back is blank. The colors are wonderful on this gem, but it has two horizontal folds (non-colorbreaking), minor moisture spots, and a penciled arrival date in the upper left. This piece is professionally framed to approximately 10.5" x 13.5".

Asking price is $3,250 shipped.

First :takeit: gets the prize. No probies or boardies with less than 100 posts.

Payment via check or PayPal.

RADA1FB42007419_121629_zps3849e82e.jpg

RADD8DC52007419_121635_zps75a54175.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. It really is a conversation piece. I've never seen another, although I understand there are a few other examples out there of different golden age issues. This was one of the items I lent to the University of Miami Law School last year for the "Comic Books and the Law" exhibit I helped arrange with Mark Zaid.

Geppi's wonderful Museum in Baltimore had a similar copy on display at one time. I haven't been back in a couple years, soI don't know if it's still exhibited. That copy had a hole punch in ULFC, though.

When I saw it, I truly thought it was one of the coolest things in the entire Museum - such a great piece of comic history.

Is that four pages Josh?

Awesome, I love these promotional pieces. Even in Italy, with all the due differences, this kind of stuff goes for big money when sold outside the collections or the books (I have a pair of promo pieces which originally accompanied italian journals).

Claudio, if you count the front and back covers it is a total of four pages. The back cover is blank. I've also seen a few other promotional pieces like this, but this is the only one I've seen for a mainstream Timely title. I put this in a similar category to memorabilia such as Ashcans and Trademarks. Thanks for your comments!

Josh, it is a fantastic piece and one I would love to see first hand.

And may I add, if it doesn't move here, I would certainly consider bringing it with you to Orlando in a few weeks if you are attending the function. Considering the number of serious GA guys that are going to be there, I doubt you'll be going home with it provided you are open to offers.

Josh, it is a fantastic piece and one I would love to see first hand.

And may I add, if it doesn't move here, I would certainly consider bringing it with you to Orlando in a few weeks if you are attending the function. Considering the number of serious GA guys that are going to be there, I doubt you'll be going home with it provided you are open to offers.

Great idea Jive! That is going to be a fun little gathering.