• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEDUCTION of the INNOCENT- The Find a Copy that Fits Your Budget Sale

21 posts in this topic

Anybody up for another SOTI sales thread? I have four copies of the book that almost single-handedly destroyed the comic book industry, in various editions and conditions, so I'm sure there's something here to fit your budget.

Dr. Wertham's research sparked comic book hearings by the New York State Legislature and the U.S. Senate. Here's your chance to read for yourself all about why many parents believed the comic books of the late 40's and early 50's to be dangerous, and why

magazines had articles with articles directed at those parents, such as "What can YOU do about comic books?"

This book has been kept in print pretty much continuously since the 1990's, in a so-called "limited edition" available on Amazon. I'd call that "limited edition" a sham, since, every time an edition sells out they just print more. Here's your chance to get an original 1954 print.

The usual rules. No HOS. Nobody on probation. In-thread trumps PM. And, most importantly, nobody who is Red Rocks. Otherwise, all are welcome.

Free shipping in the US; I charge exact cost for shipping outside the US, but that can be expensive because I'll only ship in a way that allows for full insurance.

Check out my feedback here on the boards or on eBay (ID: MyComicArt.com). You'll be happy with your purchase and with my packing and shipping.

I ship only once a week, typically on Saturdays, so please bear in mind that there may be a delay in shipping.

Copy 1

Former library copy 2nd print from 1954. Re-bound and trimmed. In amazing shape. The typical library markings inside, and the spine of the original binding is attached to the title page.

The last pic is intended to show the library stamp along the bottom edge, but the photo didn't come out. If it's important to you, I'll be glad to take another photo.

I really like the trimming on this one. The original books were bound and left untrimmed, leaving very uneven pages at the edges of the book. This was trimmed as part of the re-binding process, leaving a much better looking book.

All 16 illustration pages present. Photocopy of the bibliography page is included.

$65 shipped in the US, barely more than the cost of a modern reprint on Amazon.

SOTI_Copy_1_01_zps3fea9f42.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_02_zpsc31f80bd.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_03_zpsa02ac46a.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_04_zpsb1e63fea.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_05_zpsd255248c.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_06_zps45cb18a5.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_07_zpsc22bcbe9.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_08_zps591f6d78.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_09_zps694dd3a1.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_10_zps1b6fe8fd.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_11_zpsd4c668b8.jpg

SOTI_Copy_1_12_zps821f87f7.jpg

Copy 2

Second print from 1954. No dust jacket and no bibliography. Unmarked except for a pencil price on the title page, and pencil scribbles on two otherwise blank pages. Inside covers

are particularly nice, and do not exhibit the bleaching of the orange color inside the covers that is so common with this book.

The lack of an R colophon on the title page is what lets you know this is a second print. If you buy a copy, from me or from somebody else, be sure you know how to tell a first print from a second print. Over the years, many second prints have been sold as first prints, so be sure to educate yourself before your purchase.

All 16 illustration pages present. Photocopy of the bibliography included.

$95 shipped in the US.

SOTI_Copy_2_02_zps428e96a4.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_03_zpsade1e22d.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_04_zps4f46118b.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_05_zps716a8d72.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_06_zps8641c4eb.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_07_zpscb43e42f.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_08_zps04808d5f.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_09_zpsfe696bcc.jpg

SOTI_Copy_2_10_zps21dea735.jpg

Copy 3

First print from 1954. No dust jacket and no bibliography. Some cover staining. Bumped lower right FC. "25" in orange marker on the red page inside the FC.

One stray pencil mark in chapter 1.

$125 shipped in the US.

SOTI_Copy_3_01_zps3b47a00e.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_02_zpsb45a95e7.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_03_zpsf9dba9c3.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_04_zps23fbf01d.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_05_zps265fede6.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_07_zpsb5f36495.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_08_zpsa282fc03.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_09_zps3142d220.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_10_zps1804f820.jpg

SOTI_Copy_3_11_zpsf2366f46.jpg

Copy 4

First print from 1954. The R colophon on the title page is what shows that this is a first print. With very rough dust jacket, but no bibliography. Dust jacket has splits along the spine, and has so little holding it together that I can't promise the front won't separate from the back during shipping.

The book itself is in outstanding shape. Unmarked and with very little wear.

$200 shipped in the US.

SOTI_Copy_4_01_zps2ebc00d1.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_02_zps4072202d.jpg

SOTI_Copy_4_03_zps5710dc13.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_04_zps645c60ee.jpg

SOTI_Copy_4_05_zps3f5956e5.jpg

SOTI_Copy_04_06_zps6aafded7.jpg

SOTI_Copy_4_07_zps91246978.jpg

SOTI_Copy_4_08_zpsb66e9eed.jpg

SOTI_Copy_4_09_zps79cdb7c8.jpg

SOTI_Copy_4_10_zps9eae1823.jpg

Any other 1st prints for someone with more of a budget to work with? :)

Thanks for the inquiry. Out of respect for the rules, I can't post the first print with bibliography here.

Forgive my ignorance, but why can't you post the first print with the bibliography?

Also, why is the bibliography missing on these? Was it removed? Did it fall out?

Thanks.

Any other 1st prints for someone with more of a budget to work with? :)

Thanks for the inquiry. Out of respect for the rules, I can't post the first print with bibliography here.

Forgive my ignorance, but why can't you post the first print with the bibliography?

Also, why is the bibliography missing on these? Was it removed? Did it fall out?

Thanks.

This forum is for items that are not for sale elsewhere. Since that book is for sale elsewhere, I didn't list it here.

As for the bibliography, here's the story.

When the book was printed, it had a "bibliography" on a single leaf (pp. 399-400) at the end of the book. This so-called bibliography was just a list of publishers whose comics were cited in the book. After the book was printed, the publisher ordered that the bibliography be excised from the book prior to distribution. So most copies of the book have a very neat stub where that leaf was carefully sliced out. Wertham didn't even find out about the bibliography's removal until after some people complained to him that their book was had been mangled. Wertham said that the publisher, Mr. Rinehart, had ordered the bibliography removed due to fear of lawsuits from comic book publishers.

Some copies did make it out into the public's hands with the bibliography intact, but they are far tougher to come by than the ones without the bibliography, because most copies of the book were distributed without the bibliography.

By popular demand, here it is. The holy grail for collectors who, like me, are fascinated by those dark days when the comic book business almost went out of business. Seduction of the Innocent, first print, with bibliography and dust jacket. $695

In case you're not familiar with this book, here's the story of that bibliography and why it's so hard to come by.

This book was printed with the "bibliography" (really just a list of publishers) on pages 399-400. However, the publisher of SOTI (Rinehart) was afraid that this bibliography would open him up to lawsuits. So he ordered the bibliography removed from the book prior to distribution. The offending leaf was carefully sliced out of almost every copy of the book before it was sold. Wertham said he didn't even known about the removal of the bibliography until he got complaints from readers who wondered why their book had been mutilated.

It's not clear to me how some copies with the bibliography survived. I own one that was a reviewer's copy, and I have owned library copies with the bibliography as well.

This book was previously offered at another site, which is why I did not list it here when I first stated this thread. Offering an item here while it's available elsewhere is against the rules. But since I've had a number of inquiries, I have withdrawn the book for sale elsewhere and offered it here.

This is a solid copy, unmarked except for the name inside the FC. Some bleaching to the inside FC and BC, as evident in the photos. Dust jacket has some minor paper loss and tears at the spine; the photos should give you a good idea of its condition.

If you have any questions about SOTI, either because you're interested in buying this or just because you're curious, feel free to PM me.

SOTI_With_Bibliography_01_zps8c2b716b.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_02_zps2b907543.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_03_zps6ec8b447.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_04_zps2eea3d0f.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_05_zpsc6e6c0a1.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_06_zpseb7925c9.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_07_zpsc4a5f775.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_08_zps7ac75a74.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_09_zps811175cd.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_10_zpsdac383f5.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_11_zpsadd4c98c.jpg

A bump... and some amazing news! Two more SOTI books have been discovered! You may have noticed in my signature line that I'm trying to find the SOTI comics that have not yet been identified by collectors. Well, a brilliant boardie and sleuth has discovered two of them! For his efforts, I'll be sending a FREE copy of Seduction of the Innocent! Details to come soon... hopefully when I get a few minutes this weekend to post all the details.

By popular demand, here it is. The holy grail for collectors who, like me, are fascinated by those dark days when the comic book business almost went out of business. Seduction of the Innocent, first print, with bibliography and dust jacket. $695

In case you're not familiar with this book, here's the story of that bibliography and why it's so hard to come by.

This book was printed with the "bibliography" (really just a list of publishers) on pages 399-400. However, the publisher of SOTI (Rinehart) was afraid that this bibliography would open him up to lawsuits. So he ordered the bibliography removed from the book prior to distribution. The offending leaf was carefully sliced out of almost every copy of the book before it was sold. Wertham said he didn't even known about the removal of the bibliography until he got complaints from readers who wondered why their book had been mutilated.

It's not clear to me how some copies with the bibliography survived. I own one that was a reviewer's copy, and I have owned library copies with the bibliography as well.

This book was previously offered at another site, which is why I did not list it here when I first stated this thread. Offering an item here while it's available elsewhere is against the rules. But since I've had a number of inquiries, I have withdrawn the book for sale elsewhere and offered it here.

This is a solid copy, unmarked except for the name inside the FC. Some bleaching to the inside FC and BC, as evident in the photos. Dust jacket has some minor paper loss and tears at the spine; the photos should give you a good idea of its condition.

If you have any questions about SOTI, either because you're interested in buying this or just because you're curious, feel free to PM me.

SOTI_With_Bibliography_01_zps8c2b716b.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_02_zps2b907543.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_03_zps6ec8b447.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_04_zps2eea3d0f.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_05_zpsc6e6c0a1.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_06_zpseb7925c9.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_07_zpsc4a5f775.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_08_zps7ac75a74.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_09_zps811175cd.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_10_zpsdac383f5.jpg

SOTI_With_Bibliography_11_zpsadd4c98c.jpg

:takeit: