• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REMAINDER COPY OF DETECTIVE #168

31 posts in this topic

I know I have posted this book before, but I was just curious to see

how much it might be worth...if anything. I don't plan on selling it but

I was interested as to it's potential value.

As to condition, the person removing the title from the cover put a slice

through the first page...but all the pages are intact...there is rust stain

from the staples.

8404797589_d7dc36ff8b.jpg

8472913863_641f5a93eb.jpg

mm

I am sure there is some value, but It would be pretty low compared to a whole copy. Missing part of the cover, cut through first page and rusty staples...nonetheless, it is a $500 book in guide 2.0, so I think somewhere between $100-$200?

I am sure there is some value, but It would be pretty low compared to a whole copy. Missing part of the cover, cut through first page and rusty staples...nonetheless, it is a $500 book in guide 2.0, so I think somewhere between $100-$200?

I agree; right buyer, right day, and it could hit $250.

I agree; right buyer, right day, and it could hit $250.

Thanks!

Sounds good...I'll keep it in mind.

mm

It has got to be the right buyer though. From my personal standpoint if I had a restored copy with pieces added, that copy with the missing banner and a lower grade copy showing more wear I would pick the other two up before the one with the missing banner as I would value a complete book over incomplete even if restored.

Just my 2¢

There are buyers out there though that view that in the opposite order though. As far as pricing? $150 maybe? It would have to be worth it to restore for some people.

Book is worth more than any of these estimates. This book goes for considerably over guide.

I would guess it would bring nearly 2.0 guide.

What would 2.0 be...the last guide I have is edition 38.

mm

Would CGC even grade this? Like with records, this would be considered a non-copy, as no one, not the company (DC) or the artist/writer was ever paid for it, as it was 'returned' for credit as a non-sale. As most of you probably know, stores/newstands did not return the whole comic, due to postage expense-- they just returned the top half of the comic for credit, and still do today. I think the 'honorable' thing is to not acknowledge it at all. I know used record stores will not buy any albums with the hole punched in the top corner, signifying a returned or unsold copy.

Book is worth more than any of these estimates. This book goes for considerably over guide.

What would 2.0 be...the last guide I have is edition 38.

mm

$514

I don't have Dale's experience or visibilty. But I do use GPA. And based on recent 2013 sales of CGC-certified low-grade copies (including a 1.5 for $533, and 2.5s for $680, $750, and $920), a FMV of $140~180 looks reasonable. Of course, that's assuming your copy is also CGC-certified as a Universal (Blue Label) 0.5. Many sellers routinely assign grades of FAIR (FR 1.0) to remaindered copies, and many of those "overgraded" copies do eventually sell. So this is one case where you're probably better off leaving the book raw.

Good luck, Marty. (thumbs u

Would CGC even grade this? Like with records, this would be considered a non-copy, as no one, not the company (DC) or the artist/writer was ever paid for it, as it was 'returned' for credit as a non-sale. As most of you probably know, stores/newstands did not return the whole comic, due to postage expense-- they just returned the top half of the comic for credit, and still do today. I think the 'honorable' thing is to not acknowledge it at all. I know used record stores will not buy any albums with the hole punched in the top corner, signifying a returned or unsold copy.

Isn't this basically what happened with the Mile High II collection? I know it's not pedigreed, but from CR's explanation of the story, I think he found a whole warehouse of these remaindered copies, though without the covers torn in half.

There may be a used record store or two that won't buy a punched record but the vast majority will.

As someone mentioned, the entire Mile High 2 collection was remainders,Marvel not got paid for.

When I bought these books, quite a few of the neighborhood stores had

a box of them on the counter. Along with DETECTIVE #168 I also picked

up a MYSTERY IN SPACE #1, DANGER TRAIL #1, HAUNT OF FEAR #16,

TALES FROM THE CRYPT #20 and about 50 other books...all for 5 cents each.

mm

Exactly! Back in the 1950s, remaindered comics were sold openly in many "five and dime" type variety stores. To be sure, custom display boxes (such as the one shown below) were often used to encourage sales. Back then, comics were purchased to be read. And three for the price of one was a very good deal!

:takeit:

BoxHP.jpg

th_AT022-COBB.jpg th_AIU46-Cobb.jpg th_Lorna03-Cobb.jpg th_MrDA34-Cobb.jpg th_PS001.jpg th_PS03-cvr.jpg

th_SA003-coverless.jpg th_SA36-cvr.jpg th_Sensation108-cvr.jpg th_SUS018-COBB.jpg th_UNC009-COBB.jpg th_UNC011-COBB.jpg th_WTOF002-COBB.jpg

I don't have Dale's experience or visibilty. But I do use GPA. And based on recent 2013 sales of CGC-certified low-grade copies (including a 1.5 for $533, and 2.5s for $680, $750, and $920), a FMV of $140~180 looks reasonable. Of course, that's assuming your copy is also CGC-certified as a Universal (Blue Label) 0.5. Many sellers routinely assign grades of FAIR (FR 1.0) to remaindered copies, and many of those "overgraded" copies do eventually sell. So this is one case where you're probably better off leaving the book raw.

Good luck, Marty. (thumbs u

If you posted this book in the For Sale forum for $150.00, you would have 20 people post the :takeit:

Personally, I don't see how this book would receive a grade below 1.0. I have seen books with the same grade with just equivalent amount of paper missing, (generally in large ragged pieces), and the rest of this book seems outstanding, including paper quality.

If you put this book on ebay, I bet you are looking at $400.00.