• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, how long should I wait for money back via PayPal, with a board purchase?

19 posts in this topic

I made a board sales forum purchase and paid on October 1st. A PM asking if and when the book has been shipped, was made on October 19th. It has remained "unread".

I also received a PM from another boardie who also made a purchase from the same seller, asking if I have heard anything. That boardie has not received his book, and his PM's are also "unread".

I have never done this kind of thing before. Is it standard procedure to wait 30 days before going to PayPal, and asking the board members to put this seller on the "bad" list?

I personally wouldn't leave my money tied up in a Paypal transaction for 30 days unless it was discussed at the time of the sale. If you actively make an effort to start up a sales thread on the board and can't ship the books within a week of receiving payment you are doing something wrong, provided you have the books in hand at the time of sale.

I personally wouldn't leave my money tied up in a Paypal transaction for 30 days unless it was discussed at the time of the sale. If you actively make an effort to start up a sales thread on the board and can't ship the books within a week of receiving payment you are doing something wrong, provided you have the books in hand at the time of sale.

......you're only required to wait 30 days to escalate to a probation discussion on the boards. I'd get with paypal under your circumstances. I've had a couple of PM agreements to purchase books, usually by low post counters, and then never have the deal go through. I won't be waiting 30 days for payment anymore unless otherwise agreed to. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would call Paypal as quickly as possible given that its almost 30 days without any contact from the seller, it is also unlikely he will get back to you in time were you could get your money back if things go south. Just my opinion though.

Has the board member been posting during this time? If so I wouldn't wait any longer, as they are obviously ignoring you.

If they've been completely absent, then something may have happened to them, in which case I'd post asking if anyone has heard from them, and report it to paypal after the 30 days have lapsed.

......you're only required to wait 30 days to escalate to a probation discussion on the boards. I'd get with paypal under your circumstances. I've had a couple of PM agreements to purchase books, usually by low post counters, and then never have the deal go through. I won't be waiting 30 days for payment anymore unless otherwise agreed to. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This. Because even if you lodge a complaint with pay pal the transaction can still be completed. and it may motivate the seller to contact you.

Sales thread was on 9-30-13. I paid on 10-1-13. The seller ran another sales thread on 10-2-13, and that was his last post.

He has not read his PM's from me and from another member.

I just did a dispute on PayPal. Which is a contact to him via PayPal. It is not a refund of money, yet.

This is not a lot of money to me. But the other person I know of, is out lots more money. I feel for him.

It may be that the seller is in the hospital or jail, or whatever. But that is not my problem. My problem is that I paid and I did not receive.

I'm just glad I paid thru PayPal.

You waited a lot longer than I would have.

I bought an item via Paypal and had a gut feeling the deal was going south a day or so later. I filed my dispute within 4 days and had my money refunded on day 11 (you have to wait 10 days after filing for the seller to respond).

Pretty simple. You (and anyone else) will get a refund after 10 days if no contact.

You waited a lot longer than I would have.

I bought an item via Paypal and had a gut feeling the deal was going south a day or so later. I filed my dispute within 4 days and had my money refunded on day 11 (you have to wait 10 days after filing for the seller to respond).

Pretty simple. You (and anyone else) will get a refund after 10 days if no contact.

You better have a heck of a gut feeling if you try to cancel a transaction here after four days.

Yea. That's the purchase and thread. The seller had several sales threads during that time period. Apparently no one who paid for a book then, has received the book or been contacted after paying. As best as I can tell.

If anyone did, please tell us about your experience.

Has the board member been posting during this time? If so I wouldn't wait any longer, as they are obviously ignoring you.

If they've been completely absent, then something may have happened to them, in which case I'd post asking if anyone has heard from them, and report it to paypal after the 30 days have lapsed.

Clicking through the threads and profiles can get you to the seller's twitter page, which shows he's active as recently as 27 Oct, so unlikely that he's just in jail or something.