• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM, Avengers, Sgt Fury,Strange Tales, TOS,TTA, X-Men and more for sale

23 posts in this topic

I think his scans are pretty clear in terms of the defects of the books. If he calls a book a VG would it matter?

In some cases maybe it wouldn't matter, but there is a general expectation that grading should be reasonably precise, and some buyers look for certain specific grades as ruling out certain defects that scans alone may not capture. 2c

Also considering these are all raw, and all without specific grades, and some don't have back cover scans, and there's no notes regarding attached/detached covers/centerfolds....

can you state your return policy? Is buyer on the hook for shipping, or do you reimburse all shipping for returns? Whats the return period?

I think his scans are pretty clear in terms of the defects of the books. If he calls a book a VG would it matter?

In some cases maybe it wouldn't matter, but there is a general expectation that grading should be reasonably precise, and some buyers look for certain specific grades as ruling out certain defects that scans alone may not capture. 2c

I agree that giving accurate grades is best all the way around. But if he is only comfortable giving the books general grade ranges then I'd rather he not pick a random grade just to fulfill the requirement. If he had poor scans then I think its critical for the seller to give accurate grades. Is the thought for him to not sell books until he can give an accurate grade?

Is the thought for him to not sell books until he can give an accurate grade?

Not at all.

However, I believe that having a very liberal return policy needs to be in place if you're going to be liberal in your grading.

For example, if you call a book "mid grade" and the book clearly isn't mid grade (regardless of the scans), you should be able to return it for a full refund.

That would put many buyers at ease knowing they're not on the hook for a seller's general grading parameters, which may omit a popped staple or detached centerfold yet still qualify the book for the assigned grade.

I agree that giving accurate grades is best all the way around. But if he is only comfortable giving the books general grade ranges then I'd rather he not pick a random grade just to fulfill the requirement. If he had poor scans then I think its critical for the seller to give accurate grades. Is the thought for him to not sell books until he can give an accurate grade?

I think as long as there are front and back scans (which some lack, notably the FF52) , a note on print quality, and a note on cover and centerfold attached status he could get away with the vague grading (since PQ and centerfolds cant be determined by the scan).

but only IF there is a very specific return policy, cause the vague grading leave the buyer with all the risk, so there should be a very liberal return policy to go with it.

He could have also described what his vague grading categories entailed.

(here are the grades currently assigned)

Lower grade =

Midgrade =

Strong Midgrade =

high midgrade =

higher midgrade =

lower midgrade =

high grade =

higher lowgrade =

lower high grade =

Would you accept mid-dollar for FF 52? :/
(tsk)

You're right. The person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed on my left shoulder won out in deciding on submitting that post.

and for me the one on the right lol

Is that not what a PM or question in the thread would be used for? Or is that taboo?

yes/yes, however if you place that info for books, especially the higher priced ones it would eliminate your thread becoming what it has and bombarding you with private messages.

I would recommend you put any internal info (page quality, cover, centerfold info, staples, interior tears if any) or additional pictures for those higher priced books. it would help them sell quicker. As the prices for those books varies greatly between a 2.0 and 3.0. Oh and since some people requested it, what your return policy is, if any.

Just my opinion, and you are free to list however you want, as it's been stated you thread is within the rules, just trying to help improve your thread.

GLWTS

Is that not what a PM or question in the thread would be used for? Or is that taboo?

yes/yes, however if you place that info for books, especially the higher priced ones it would eliminate your thread becoming what it has and bombarding you with private messages.

I would recommend you put any internal info (page quality, cover, centerfold info, staples, interior tears if any) or additional pictures for those higher priced books. it would help them sell quicker. As the prices for those books varies greatly between a 2.0 and 3.0. Oh and since some people requested it, what your return policy is, if any.

Just my opinion, and you are free to list however you want, as it's been stated you thread is within the rules, just trying to help improve your thread.

GLWTS

Not worth the aggravation or stress............. :sorry:

This has been said by pretty much every comic seller at one time or another. But providing good scans and no grades is pretty much the E-Bay seller format which doesn't go over well here. Especially if your asking market prices for your books.

:hi: jop

Don't give up man! There's been some good constructive criticism so far from seasoned sellers, just use it as a learning experience. You've got some awesome books here! GLWTS

+1

:hi: jop

Don't give up man! There's been some good constructive criticism so far from seasoned sellers, just use it as a learning experience. You've got some awesome books here! GLWTS

How is it a learning experience? No one has said your off on this grade or good on this one.

I have learned people want grades and well scans aren't as good as giving a grade which I totally do not understand

There are defects which cannot be seen in scans that may exist on the books. Non color breaking flaws in particular are generally not visible in many scans.

If you don't feel comfortable with grading, put a conservative grade on the books. If you think it is between 3.5 and 5.5 (which is a pretty large gap), call it a 3.5 or 4.0. Price the book accordingly.

I think we have all learned you need to assign a grade to a book prior to selling here on the boards. Accept returns if people do not like the book - no questions asked - and you will have plenty of buyers. No one will jump on the grades you assigned as long as you stand behind your grades and accept returns if your grade is not close to the one advertised. I'm not promising your books will sell at the price you want but you will have less issues.