• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question: Is it common for sides of cgc cases to be split?

31 posts in this topic

Hello! I am new to cgc collecting! I am familiar with collecting cards that are graded such as PSA and BGS. So the concept of cgc is not hard for me to grasp. However, I have purchased my 2 first comics on ebay from two different sellers. One cgc case is separated on the seam on the right side of the case, but the top and bottom corners are sealed. On the other cgc case both sides are separated and not sealed. On both, all corners and tops and bottoms are sealed. Both sellers had thousands of positive feedback. Just wondering if it is common for the sides to not be sealed. Both don't seem that it would be possible to get a comic in or out of the cases. Not enough of a split, and tight. Thanks for any help. Have a good day!!!

I cracked an outer slab the other day and could easily pry it open just using my hands... I too was surprised that the sides were completely unsealed. Maybe just me, but I swear I used to need a screwdriver when I cracked them 4-5 years ago.

The inner wells aren't water tight. So stay away from water. Here's a link to a journal by Newshane showing what happens. I'm sure there are a few threads here in general also detailing this.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6822877&fpart=10

Thanks! Hadn't seen that thread.

The inner wells aren't water tight. So stay away from water. Here's a link to a journal by Newshane showing what happens. I'm sure there are a few threads here in general also detailing this.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6822877&fpart=10

Thanks! Hadn't seen that thread.

+1

That's F'ed up! I was led to believe that the inner wells are completely sealed, so that no gasses, oxygen, or water could penetrate the inner well or degrade the book. What are we paying for then? A glorified bag and board?

Whats the point of a third party grading system if the comic can change grades inside the case?

Edited by Meta4

That's F'ed up! I was led to believe that the inner wells are completely sealed, so that no gasses, oxygen, or water could penetrate the inner well or degrade the book. What are we paying for then? A glorified bag and board?

:gossip: Have you heard? They make mylar bags to put the slabs in.

lol

I think you're paying them for restoration detection and their opinion of grade.

Which are also not sealed or airtight. I live in oregon, where humidity is definately a problem with paper collectibles, and thought that cgc books were sealed completely airtight inside the inner well. If the books grade can change from inside the case, it effectively negates the grade given by the cgc.