• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those Comics in Your Basement?

402 posts in this topic

Shhhhhhhh! Roy I think that article is the reason for this thread.

I know that. I'm trying to show how the story is being perpetuated and people are starting to believe it.

More junk journalism.

One good comment came about from that journalism article that made a good point.

It was a good comment from Windswarlock of blastr that summed up why many people don`t buy new COMICS anymore

"I stopped collecting when I realized I was spending $300-$400 a month on comics. That's insane. If they want people to read them, they need to get the price back down. Especially for digital issues. There's no reason to pay $5 for something that will take me 10 minutes to read."

I have to agree with Windswarlock on this one. Who wants to pay $3.99 for a ten minute read? This will be the future major problem going forward. If It`s 3.99 now then what of $4.99 and $5.99?

They are going to price themselves out of the market. Not many new readers are going to want to spend $10 bucks on a 20 minute experience, when they can watch Spider-Man and the X-men for 8 bucks on the Netflix monthly or go see Thor the movie for $6.

:gossip:

So we could have a situation were with less readers of comic books you will have less collectors of comic books! :o

This $3.99 and higher price for new comics might be the killer of print comic books, unless they can find away to bring down the prices. I don`t see them ever doing it with print comics, but I do see them eventually lowering the digital prices for comics.

It should interesting over the upcoming years as how it will all play out. hm

That is one of the reasons I stopped collecting in 2005 - prices were $4 per issue, it took >5 minutes to read, and the stories were terrible (this was the X-titles I am referring to.) I loved the earlier X-Men, when I first started in with comics, Chris Claremont gave me a 15-20 minute read for 60¢ almost every month. Combine that with mostly great art and it was an experience that I cannot find anymore in new comics.

:(

-slym

For the same reasons I have switched to digital for new stuff and it is pretty damn good. I read Old man logan the other day, on Oakman's recommendation, and It was excellent.