• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GUESS THE GRADE - DAREDEVIL 131 1ST BULLSEYE - RESUBMITTED

67 posts in this topic

My scanner isn't the best, need to upgraded I've always thought that the books always appear dirtier/darker than they really are.

In hand the book looks very similar to the slab pic - colors are very bright

I will get the book pressed again for that back cover

SCS?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that "label" doesn't belong with that "book" . . . :grin:

(tsk)

Here's what it looked like before I cracked it out of the slab and slid it into a mylar:

Bully for you Ed . . . a (tsk) certainly isn't warranted - the book looks like chrap in the OP's scan, and it's not a knock on you (as you weren't even in the conversation) :P

btw, :gossip: you should have left it in the slab :grin:

I'll let Ed speak for himself, but maybe your comment implied that I was lying about the label being for that book. Not sure what your intent was, maybe just being cheeky but it also would hurt my rep if someone didn't know you were joking or if I decided to sell the book (I'm not, going to resubmit it) done the line. Sometimes it's better to keep some comments to yourself, or better yet in CG

Hate for someone to do the same to you

FYI

I didn't give it that grade, CGC did.

Regardless thanks for the feedback, you do keep things entertaining with your "advice"

"maybe" I "implied" :screwy: Get a spine.

You asked us for grading opinions, we gave them. Period. Make your "rep" whatever you want it to be. (thumbs u

And another one. It's pretty clever how you are able to put one in every post

picked this up from a board member who had cracked the slab. curious to see where the group scores this vs CGC

What did you expect when you asked this question? What were you seeking? Reassurance? Candor?

Why did you buy the book?

divad you go to that corner, JSilver you in that corner. This is the last warning before I take a point away (that will make it an 8.0). No more low corner blows, no head creasing butts, no more grainy pictures, and Absolutely no second guessing CGC!

I want clean grading from this point forward! (And sharper scans for gosh sakes!!)

FIGHT!!! errrrr,, I mean SCAN!!

picked this up from a board member who had cracked the slab. curious to see where the group scores this vs CGC

What did you expect when you asked this question? What were you seeking? Reassurance? Candor?

Lots of questions

What did I expect? For people to grade the book

What was I seeking? Knowledge - to see if someone would guess correctly, to understand how they interpret the scores, a healthy discussion some surprise especially with some of the scores that have been revealed etc

Reassurance? No. I had decided when I purchased the book I would resubmit it expecting the same score

Candor? I think that's to be expected in a forum where your asking for someone's opinion on your book, or least there's a hope that people will have some about the grade they believe it is.

I purchased the book because I thought for the price it was a good book at a good price for the grade.

divad you go to that corner, JSilver you in that corner. This is the last warning before I take a point away (that will make it an 8.0). No more low corner blows, no head creasing butts, no more grainy pictures, and Absolutely no second guessing CGC!

I want clean grading from this point forward! (And sharper scans for gosh sakes!!)

How do I get a point? I hear if I leave a $20 bill inside the book the graders will look the other way or is that just PGX

lol

Dang...this thread certainly escalated while I was sleeping...

Bully for you Ed . . . a (tsk) certainly isn't warranted - the book looks like chrap in the OP's scan, and it's not a knock on you (as you weren't even in the conversation) :P

No personal offense taken...the finger wag was intended to be a little cheeky (it's hard to convey cheekiness with these smilies). :foryou:

Yes I am going to resubmit

I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Ok must not be stains. I see 9.4 with a smoosh.

Without stains I don't see why it would be a 7.5, besides the ding/folds on the top back cover the books looks nice. The corners are sharp, spine is tight and the smudging on the miswrapped of the front cover looks production related.

Yeah, I figure CGC was looking at it like production ink. As for the top back cover...it was also like that when it came out of the slab...you can actually see it in the back cover scan I posted...it just that the inner well compression was keeping it a little flatter in the slab.

This does seem like a gift grade to us. Why would anyone take that out of a 9.0 slab?

:screwy: , right? I enjoy cracking out books. I understand the question...really, I do...but fundamentally...what difference does it make? I bought the book slabbed here on the boards. Once I owned the book and decided to sell it, my perspective is that I'm selling the book, not the label. So, it is what it is, whether in the slab or not. Let's just say I learned a lot from this book, and learning often costs money. :flamed:

jsilverjanet paid me a fair price for the actual book as it sits, so I feel good about it - it'll be interesting to see how it comes back this next go-around...hopefully 9.0 again. :wishluck:

Question:

When you re-submit an already graded CGC book, is the census adjusted? Or is there a duplication in the census of the twice graded book? And I suppose the other question would be is do you advise CGC that you are re-submitting or just send it in and hope the grade is improved? hm

If the book gets re-graded and added to the census without the original grading being removed from the census then obviously the census is skewed! :screwy:

Anybody be able to shed light on this or is there another thread that already addresses this question that you could direct me to? :eek:

If you send the original label back to CGC they will adjust the census numbers.

That makes sense, but do people send the original label back? And if they don't then I pose the question of the legitimacy or validity of the census?

That makes sense, but do people send the original label back? And if they don't then I pose the question of the legitimacy or validity of the census?

I think portions of the census are very padded especially on high dollar books with brisk trade. I have heard estimate that the census numbers for AF 15 are as much as 30%over inflated.

I guess they are still good for ratios.

I am happy as this time I was pretty close. I said 8.0 just because I thought those were stains, but obviously they aren’t, otherwise it wouldn’t have scored a 9.0.

Probably they aren’t, or when they are so small they aren’t considered a big issue. It makes sense, as they wouldn’t have been a big issue for me if I had to buy the book.

I think the book is midway between 8.5 and 9.0, but of course when we come to half a point there is subjectivity.

Great transition guys, and I bow to Ed for craking out the freakin' Bullseye and read it. lol

Lots of questions

What did I expect? For people to grade the book

What was I seeking? Knowledge - to see if someone would guess correctly, to understand how they interpret the scores, a healthy discussion some surprise especially with some of the scores that have been revealed etc

Reassurance? No. I had decided when I purchased the book I would resubmit it expecting the same score

Candor? I think that's to be expected in a forum where your asking for someone's opinion on your book, or least there's a hope that people will have some about the grade they believe it is.

I purchased the book because I thought for the price it was a good book at a good price for the grade.

:foryou:

There really is no incentive to send the label back, and there is an underpinning of negativity (if you're hoping for a bump up in grade or PQ). I have never sent a label in, but I've only done two re-subs (one qualified and one restored (SA) - both of which were unjustified stigmas). It's only conjecture, but I imagine those that practice crack, press and re-sub on a regular basis almost never send the label in.

Joey may have some hard info on this.