• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I've Been Away...

73 posts in this topic

In 2006, I embarked upon one heckuva journey. I was leaving the U.S. Army and preparing to go get my master's in English to become a teacher (with the intent to get my Ph.D. and become a college professor). During those final weeks, I had a lot of down time and started looking up comics on eBay. I bought a few from when I last read them as a kid, and the fire was rekindled. I was back into comics.

In 2007, I somehow stumbled onto this community still quite newbish about the whole world of comics and collecting. Years later, I've written hundreds of articles for both online and formal publishers about all things comics - superhero or otherwise. I also made something a name for myself here as being the "low grade collector's collector" acquiring some great key books ... in some rather... well-loved conditions. And this love of the old school supehero books never failed to diminish.

In 2010, I began my Ph.D. program and I focused specifically on conventional American literature. What I didn't expect was to discover how closely the comic book superheroes participated in the evolution of U.S. lit's concept of the hero. And thus, a dissertation was born. ( Shameless Research I Did Here On The Boards ).

Today, I earned that Ph.D. for my dissertation: "Capes and the Canon: Comic Book Superheroes and Canonical American Literature." Many thanks to those who've helped along the way. Those who've gone this road can understand why I've been largely absent the past 2+ years. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop in a bit more often now that it's done.

And keep your eyes peeled... the book's received a few offers for publication already and it should be out in the next year. :D

-Forrest

In 2006, I embarked upon one heckuva journey. I was leaving the U.S. Army and preparing to go get my master's in English to become a teacher (with the intent to get my Ph.D. and become a college professor). During those final weeks, I had a lot of down time and started looking up comics on eBay. I bought a few from when I last read them as a kid, and the fire was rekindled. I was back into comics.

In 2007, I somehow stumbled onto this community still quite newbish about the whole world of comics and collecting. Years later, I've written hundreds of articles for both online and formal publishers about all things comics - superhero or otherwise. I also made something a name for myself here as being the "low grade collector's collector" acquiring some great key books ... in some rather... well-loved conditions. And this love of the old school supehero books never failed to diminish.

In 2010, I began my Ph.D. program and I focused specifically on conventional American literature. What I didn't expect was to discover how closely the comic book superheroes participated in the evolution of U.S. lit's concept of the hero. And thus, a dissertation was born. ( Shameless Research I Did Here On The Boards ).

Today, I earned that Ph.D. for my dissertation: "Capes and the Canon: Comic Book Superheroes and Canonical American Literature." Many thanks to those who've helped along the way. Those who've gone this road can understand why I've been largely absent the past 2+ years. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop in a bit more often now that it's done.

And keep your eyes peeled... the book's received a few offers for publication already and it should be out in the next year. :D

-Forrest

:applause: