• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comikaze

18 posts in this topic

Has anybody been to Stan Lee's Comikaze in LA before? I just found out about this today and was wondering if it's worth going. It would be especially interesting to know if typically there are any comic art dealers present. Any guidance is highly appreciated. Thanks!

I just got back, I hated it. I'm into silver and golden age material and there were only 5 or so vintage comic book sellers. Mostly I was going to look at OA it was listed on CAF that coolines was going to be there....I guess they were a no show. I was pretty disappointed

I went last year, and saw a fair amount of OA even bought some.....I was looking forward to it and assuming it would be even better. I also couldn't even find any trade paperbacks that I was looking for, my go to shopping when I can't find anything else. As I said my collecting habits and interests are pre 70's so if one is more into new stuff, video games, vinyl toys and movies it might be for you. It wasn't as crowded as last year but that is actually something I like.

Sounds exactly like SDCC minus the crowds

Much much smaller, it didn't even fill up one wing of the convention center, maybe half.

I have to agree, it's not at all like SDCC at all, you can't compare in the same sentence or breath... it's like saying a Sizzler Steak is "exactly like Ruth Chris Steakhouse, minus the flavor"

To that degree, temper your expectations on this show. The price of admission is $25 per day, and $60 for 3 days. The price for San Diego is of course 3x higher, but probably 10x the size and scope.

It doesn't feel like a "travelers" show that people would make a pilgrimage to yet, but is definitely something local fans in the LA area and even within California should journey to for a day. There's a lot of conventions in California now with (aside SDCC)... Wonder Con being the best for comics; Big Wow Comic Fest the best for artists; and then you have Comickazie for Celebrities; and in-beween there's a lot of 1 or 2 day shows in Long Beach; So Cal Comic Con; Cal Comic Con; Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention; and other shows throughout the year.

Comickazie has the feel of a "Wizard World" show with an emphasis on "Celebrities of Yore" so has a definite pop culture feel to it more so than something that's vintage comic driven. Check the exhibitor list on their website to see the who's who and what's what about the show.

There's the now standard at every convention "Artists Alley" of course too.

For $25 it's worth going to check out for a day. I'm not sure if there's enough to see or shop for for 3 days, but that's an opinion contingent upon what you look for in a show, be it panels, autographs, sketches/commissions, etc.

Keep in mind parking will cost you $5-10 depending where you park as well too.

Sounds exactly like SDCC minus the crowds

Much much smaller, it didn't even fill up one wing of the convention center, maybe half.

I have to agree, it's not at all like SDCC at all, you can't compare in the same sentence or breath... it's like saying a Sizzler Steak is "exactly like Ruth Chris Steakhouse, minus the flavor"

To that degree, temper your expectations on this show. The price of admission is $25 per day, and $60 for 3 days. The price for San Diego is of course 3x higher, but probably 10x the size and scope.

It doesn't feel like a "travelers" show that people would make a pilgrimage to yet, but is definitely something local fans in the LA area and even within California should journey to for a day. There's a lot of conventions in California now with (aside SDCC)... Wonder Con being the best for comics; Big Wow Comic Fest the best for artists; and then you have Comickazie for Celebrities; and in-beween there's a lot of 1 or 2 day shows in Long Beach; So Cal Comic Con; Cal Comic Con; Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention; and other shows throughout the year.

Comickazie has the feel of a "Wizard World" show with an emphasis on "Celebrities of Yore" so has a definite pop culture feel to it more so than something that's vintage comic driven. Check the exhibitor list on their website to see the who's who and what's what about the show.

There's the now standard at every convention "Artists Alley" of course too.

For $25 it's worth going to check out for a day. I'm not sure if there's enough to see or shop for for 3 days, but that's an opinion contingent upon what you look for in a show, be it panels, autographs, sketches/commissions, etc.

Keep in mind parking will cost you $5-10 depending where you park as well too.

This is 2nd year of the show I believe, just not that many comic dealers. Long Beach on the other hand is improving a lot (not the 1 day show). The parking for LB show is a lot cheaper than Comikaze as well, $20 across the street from LA Convention vs $10 LB Convention (inside the convention).

1 day fun is good, 3 days are just too much.

Not sure if anyone know but here is the discount code for the Comikaze, at ticket booth or online, either ways work.

HOTTOPIC2 10% off

I was thinking of buying lot of books and unload them instead of carrying around so there goes my $20 parking! lol

If you are going back today, let us know if there are more comic book dealers. I counted less than 10 dealers or around that number yesterday.

It's actually the 3rd year (2013) of the show, the 1st year (2011) they did their show the weekend after the weekend of the Long Beach Convention, so most people I knew ended up going to one, no the other.

I heard they heavily promoted the show with $5 admission passes on Groupon, as well as a lot of comp tickets, so there was a packed house, but I think they didn't make as huge a profit on ticket sales as it appeared by the illusion of the numbers, not sure if they continued to do so to increase attendance in the subsequent years. It's not a bad way to support the exhibitors and get people in the door.

I think the Stan Lee sponsorship is good, 'tho it doesn't seem like he adds anything other than his name and image along with doing a autograph and photo session each day. I'd think (and to a degree expect) him, as the innovative showman that he is, to bring in better guests, maybe even some silver age creator reunions and higher caliber celebrities who appear in panels and sign for fans for free, as it used to be done at shows in the good 'ol days when studios wanted to promote their new releases and actors never wanted to be associated with charging for autographs sitting at a table, so either would do it for free or not do it at all.

The LAX fiasco possibly impacted guests and exhibitors on Friday, so hopefully they have a good show on Sat-Sun.

There was no one here, totally beat. Fun to bring kids to and see some people dress up. Hot Topic is all about selling merchandise ....

Not seeing much talent at LBCC either. Nothing will ever come close to even touching SDCC.

My advice just save the 50 bucks going to kaze, and the 50 going to LBCC and put it towards buying sdcc tickets off craigslist.