• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAC COAST XMEN 1 CGC 9.6 WHITE SOLD!!!!!!

90 posts in this topic

I think the same can be said for Golen Age collections too. 3-5 collections that are out of this world, then the rest of us are way behind.... sorry.gif

West

West, who are these collectors? I guess we can safely say that Dave Anderson is #1. Who are 2-5? I would guess Geppi and Verzyl are in there.

Geppi, Verzyl, Anderson...in that order.

There are two other collectors I know of that come in 4th and 5th, a little ways behind those top dogs!

West

I think the same can be said for Golen Age collections too. 3-5 collections that are out of this world, then the rest of us are way behind.... sorry.gif

West

West, who are these collectors? I guess we can safely say that Dave Anderson is #1. Who are 2-5? I would guess Geppi and Verzyl are in there.

Geppi, Verzyl, Anderson...in that order.

There are two other collectors I know of that come in 4th and 5th, a little ways behind those top dogs!

West

893whatthe.gif Wow, the concept that the guy who owns the Church Action #1 and AT Tec #27, among many other books, is only the #3 collector is truly mindblowing, particularly given that Geppi unloaded some of his collection during his bout with cancer. You're just including comics, right, and not all the original art and animation cels and other stuff that Geppi has?

I've read from these Boards that Verzyl has many of the Church Timelys, but I honestly don't know what Geppi has. Are there any particular mega-keys in Geppi's collection that have been publicly disclosed which you could repeat here?

893whatthe.gif Wow, the concept that the guy who owns the Church Action #1 and AT Tec #27, among many other books, is only the #3 collector is truly mindblowing, particularly given that Geppi unloaded some of his collection during his bout with cancer. You're just including comics, right, and not all the original art and animation cels and other stuff that Geppi has?

I've read from these Boards that Verzyl has many of the Church Timelys, but I honestly don't know what Geppi has. Are there any particular mega-keys in Geppi's collection that have been publicly disclosed which you could repeat here?

Tim;

Although Dave has the Church run of Action Comics #1 - #22 or #23 intact along with the early 'Tec run, you also have to remember that he has sold off a lot of his other key GA Church DC's. Included here would be the Church copies of More Fun 52, 53, Flash 1, etc along with all of the others keys he used to owned. You also have to remember that his collection is primarily limited to the GA DC's along with his SA holdings. In other words, basically a BSD collector's collection.

John Verzyl, on the other hand, has been a full-time dealer in the business for as long as I can remember. Although I am not sure of his holdings, like most dealers, I believe he has been saving some of the better books for his own personal collection. As for his Church Timelys, I believe he owns ALL of them except for the odd ones here and there.

As for Geppi, although he has been selling some books off through Heritage, you have to remember that the ENTIRE GA offerings from Heritage over the past couple of years would represent only a FRACTION of what Geppi has in his collection. You have to remember that he was also able to purchased both portions of Overstreet's personal collection back in the 90's. If you have ever been in the Diamond vaults, you would know what I mean. Reminds me of the final scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Rows and rows of shelves up to the ceilings from one end of the room to the next with deep deep runs of high grade GA books from ALL publishers.

Didn't see any SA books, although this was probably due more to the fact that long-term serious collectors have never had the same level of respect for the SA books. I am sure that they simply had them somewhere else, since I was told that SA keys was easily acquired before, similar to collecting rolls of coins. 893whatthe.gif

a lot of the key books from Overstreet were sold in the amazing "Opening of the Vault Feeding Frenzy" weekend, werent they?

Aman;

You can get a complete list of what sold along with the prices in issue #23 of the CBM. You have to remember that they only sold the display books on the opening night when it was opened to the hundreds of invited guests. Only a small select group of us (approx. 10 -15) was invited back for the morning breakfast on the second day. After breakfast, it was explained to us that they would be rolling out boxes of books for us to go though and purchase if we want. Can't remember if it was Bob's half or Martha's half they rolled out for us to viewed throughout the day. Either way, we never got though which ever half it was before the end of the day. 893whatthe.gif

Since the majority of the group was only collectors, our budget was limited and we was only able to picked out some of what we wanted. The East Coast trio of Fishler, Greenhalgh, and Rogovin (who always worked together at the time) grabbed a huge chunk of the books and had then set aside for future payment. From what I heard in the end, the deal never got done since Geppi was asking healthy multiples of top guide for what they viewed as not quite top grade books. This made it virtually impossible for them to make a profit since they were being asked to pay top end retail prices for the books. I believe the mutilples may have also increased in the interim from the time the collectors got their deals on opening weekend til the time the dynamic trio got their prices quite a few weeks later. 27_laughing.gif

Bottom-line: Geppi still has a awful lot of nice books in his collection.

Mark Schreuder flew out to Roter and purchased some of the earliest Pacific Coasts (I am not sure it's still active Ebay id = ESSOILMAN).

Doug consolidated the Pacific Coasts because like most pedigrees he becomes obsessed and has to own them. "Everybody" and I mean "everybody" knows that when Doug gets "possessed" he then pays top dollar. So like woves to the party they find them and sell them to doug.

If you to want to be the top BSD start spending silly money on books and watch how many "Dealer friends" you acquire. You can do ball games, have dinner and drinks and genuinely get some emotional support when times are hard. When the books are gone or you need to sell count how many are left.

If you to want to be the top BSD start spending silly money on books and watch how many "Dealer friends" you acquire. You can do ball games, have dinner and drinks and genuinely get some emotional support when times are hard. When the books are gone or you need to sell count how many are left.

...I'm sure youre sadly correct on that statement.....

but YOU'd still be our friend after our money ran out, right Bob??

I never do well being the "phony" friend. Good friends are few and far between. And unfortunately for me I have very high 'expectations' and get disappointed when somebody doesn't live up to them. But that's my character defect to deal with.

blazingbob tells it like it is

hes an honest and decent fellow

when ur spending lots of $$ with dealers they are ur best friend..when ur not, well they dont want to give u the time of day

i remember calling one NY dealer who id never dealt with b4 and he was starting to get a rep early in 2000 for moving some hi grade cgc books for good prices...........i called him on his cell phone becos he had his anwsering maching on his fixed line...............had his head up his own [!@#%^&^] so badly,typical arrogant phukn NY dealer.......his first response was ....... " do i know you? and call me back...im gettign coffee @ starbucks"

my first thought was phuk you.....2nd was...u drink coffee @ starbucks.....u cheap mofo.....that says it all..........needless to say i havent bothered doing any business with him

blazingbob tells it like it is

hes an honest and decent fellow

when ur spending lots of $$ with dealers they are ur best friend..when ur not, well they dont want to give u the time of day

i remember calling one NY dealer who id never dealt with b4 and he was starting to get a rep early in 2000 for moving some hi grade cgc books for good prices...........i called him on his cell phone becos he had his anwsering maching on his fixed line...............had his head up his own [!@#%^&^] so badly,typical arrogant phukn NY dealer.......his first response was ....... " do i know you? and call me back...im gettign coffee @ starbucks"

my first thought was phuk you.....2nd was...u drink coffee @ starbucks.....u cheap mofo.....that says it all..........needless to say i havent bothered doing any business with him

why dr Blake, whatever do you have against Starbucks?!?!? grin.gif

burnt boy...

the fact that their coffee is [!@#%^&^]...and reflects the taste of people who patronise starbucks...when there are SO many other places u can get great coffee in NYC

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about Starbucks!

OK, Doc, now you've stepped over the line by hammering my typical morning latte or, in the summer, coffee frappuccino! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Seriously, while I like a couple of the Starbucks beverages, I can understand your distaste for the corporatization of the coffee cup. Frankly, my best brew is done at home using Peet's Coffee.

And speaking of coffee and returning to the original topic, is anyone turned off just a wee bit by the cream-coloring of the cover of that superexpensive PC X-Men?

And speaking of coffee and returning to the original topic, is anyone turned off just a wee bit by the cream-coloring of the cover of that superexpensive PC X-Men?

Yes.

Beautiful book that I have seen it person, but I have seen a lot of PC that seem to exhibit at least a bit of yellowing (which is a turn off to me).

Especially on X-Men #1, Daredevil #1 and Avengers #4 any yellowing really hurts the eye appeal of those major keys in my opinion.

Being a New Yorker there are also a lot of BAD places to get coffee. Perched under 9/11 target number 2 - Brooklyn Bridge I can tell you that Starbucks is the closest thing to coffee around here. I would like to make a statement that the worst coffee is roadside Maxell House extra burnt.

Being a New Yorker there are also a lot of BAD places to get coffee. Perched under 9/11 target number 2 - Brooklyn Bridge I can tell you that Starbucks is the closest thing to coffee around here. I would like to make a statement that the worst coffee is roadside Maxell House extra burnt.

bob - do you have a shop under the Brooklyn bridge or is that your normal workplace?? if it's a shop, i will stop in some day when i finally make it to Peter Lugers................ grin.gif

Seriously, while I like a couple of the Starbucks beverages, I can understand your distaste for the corporatization of the coffee cup. Frankly, my best brew is done at home using Peet's Coffee.

confused-smiley-013.gif Peet's is now owned by Starbucks. Isn't that the same thing (albeit better, stronger coffee?)