• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy Warhol

11 posts in this topic

This is something I picked up last year at a London internet auction. I live in Maryland near Washington DC and I took it to two appraisers, one in Georgetown and the other two in Northern Virginia. They had no clue whether it was real or not. The guy in Georgetown was real excited about it but after taking a bunch of pictures of it and showing it to some experts, he said Warhol might have drawn it or might not. He said the Warhol foundation folded in 2012 and Warhols can be hard to authenticate. So I took it to The Antiques Roadshow in Richmond. I also had some 1940 Superman trade ads and I showed it to the collectible expert and he did not have a clue. He just said $50 a piece, Next! I was like what a joke!!!!!!!! The line to authenticate art was too long and I have a bad back. I had to stand in line for an hour and half just to get in the place. Some people said it was at least a two hour wait for art. So I left. I fear that I will NEVER know if Warhol drew this. It is really cool but if I knew Warhol really drew this, it would be the icing on the cake.

Warhol001.jpg

Pretty great anyway, 50 bucks! I'll take it :). Kirby's daughter or granddaughter, I don't remember, was on antiques roadshow some years ago with some of Kirby's artwork....they really under valued it! I was surprised. He Warhol foundation didn't actually fold but shut down certain aspects of the foundation one being authenticating work.....the signature at first glacé looks authentic.....but I don't have a side by side to compare it to, but that wouldn't be hard to find. It could have also been a drawing that someone had signed....he signed a lot of stuff, soup cans and the like. I'm sure some unscrupulous consigned or auction house would gladly sell it for you as authentic :)

Don't forget with Warhol, you never really know if he actually drew it. Warhol's factory would allow him to sign tons of work and then lets artists draw/silkscreen and sell it as a "warhol" Warhol loved Batman so it isn't shocking that he would draw something like this, and he was known to do stuff based on Batman (there is a Batman lithograph and of course the Batman movie). However there is nothing "Warhol" about this piece (Bright colors/Pop Arty) so it could be 1 of several things. 1) A production piece that he was working on as promotion for his Batman Dracula film in 1964 2) a fun sketch someone did while at the Factory that was signed by Warhol. 3) A fake. My guess is it's number 2. Just my 2c and regardless it is a really cool piece to own :)

I just compared to the signature to the Warhol print I have - doesn't match as the one of the print is one continuous signature while this is broken. Artists have different signatures at different points in time, so it doesn't mean it's fake, but it's a data point. I'm sure you can find a bunch of signatures online that you can compare it to.

It doesn't look like another one to me, it looks like the same one. Looking at the zoomed in version, the stroke lines in the building shading match up. the quick shading scribbles in the capes... Perfect match. Different densities in the two images, but that's a matter of scanning.

My opinion of course. People should take a look for themselves.

If you take a look at "Batman Unmasked" (great book btw) it does mention that Warhol was doing a batman/superman/ tracy themed paintings and stuff in 1960. So definitly looking good. Also have your mind blown by this. Lou Reed and Batman...

andy-warhol-batman-show.jpg

Whoa!!!!!!! I did not even bother to check out who was running that website that you all put up, This Peter Bortz guy is the same guy that I took my Warhol to!! How can he post pictures of my drawing and have it for sale when he never had it!!!!!!!! I never left it with him, he just took pictures of it. What is going on????????