• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the original sites that housed Marvel & DC Comics be Landmarked?

22 posts in this topic

With word that DC was picking up and leaving the birthplace of comicdom, I wondered whether it was necessary that New York City have some historical landmark memorializing the birthplace of the Modern American Comic Book. Along with film, the comic book is an art-form contributed by America to the world. And New York City was the place where the modern comic book "took off" in its first century of existence. Since there is yet a comic book shrine in the city of its birth, would it at least be a good idea to recognize the two greatest comic book publishers primarily responsible for the success and evolution of the modern comic book so that posterity could take note of the rich history of the medium we love and for some of us, have been fortunate to experience the rise of this American Art Form through the great ages of the 20th Century? Perhaps we could start by taking note of the locations where DC and Marvel first started their contributions?

Thanks for any insight.

John

I see your Miley Cyrus "Wrecking Ball" and raise the ante with Springsteen's "Wrecking Ball"

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

I see your Miley Cyrus "Wrecking Ball" and raise the ante with Springsteen's "Wrecking Ball"

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

^^

There were comics companies before Marvel and DC.

Marvel and DC were just the most successful

Not too many before that did original work. But a lot after in NYC. And many of them were quite key to the industry.

I don't think Marvel/Timely/Atlas etc and DC/National Periodical Publications should be singled out, though. Many publishers from NYC kept the art form going. My feeling is a simple plaque (or whatever) honoring NYC for its myriad comic book publishers would not be out of order.

An incomplete list of NYC publishers is below:

I don't know if NYC has an ":official" Comic Book Landmark. It should, but beyond just DC/Marvel. New York City was home to numerous important publishers. I think if there is no offical landmark there should be one. So many publishers there beyond Marvel/DC, and many with real imact on genres such as SciFi, Horror, Romance, Adventure etc.

ACG

DC

Dell

EC

Farrell

Fawcett

Fiction House

Fox

Gold Key

Hillman

Marvel

Novelty Press

Quality Comics

St. John Publications

Standard/Nedor/Better Publishing

Star Publications

Street and Smith

Toby

So I appreciate the OP's sentiment but we must also remember that the post-WW2 times saw an end to super-heroes (well, except mainly for DC) and the start of some amazing other genres. But so many we still hold dear did come out of NYC.

I can't see any harm to putting up a plaque on the wall of buildings that were the homes of some of the major comic publishers. Certainly NYC was the home to a successful comic publishing industry that entertained and influenced millions. I suspect there are many other famous buildings and industries that have received similar recognition over the years.

And I actually think it would be cool if a statue was erected in the heart of the publishing district featuring some of the more famous comic characters created by NYC based publishers. Bet it would be a popular tourist attraction.

Thanks and good points Poverty_Row. Would be fantastic to have a Comic Book Shrine including all the publishers you mentioned in NYC since the City was the home to the Modern American Comic Book during its formative years. I specifically mentioned Marvel and DC as primary candidates for landmark status not only for the "staying power" of these two publishing houses but also due to their parent owners and the deep pockets they have. Disney, in particular, has the resources to capitalize on a Marvel related "site" that would not just emphasize the business-entertainment model they traditionally focus on. As for the question of landmark status, it should be relatively much easier for Disney-Marvel to lobby the New York City's government to historically designate the original Marvel site if landmark status is out of the question. This could be a first step to towards a "project" that identifies the publishers you correctly note. The birthplace and home of the Modern American Comic Book desreves nothing less.

John

While it sounds nice to say NYC should landmark the buildings, how would you feel if you owned the buildings?

If the buildings still exist, they haven't housed Marvel or DC for decades, and most likely changed ownership several times.

Suggesting Disney or Time Warner purchase the property to preserve it is one thing, but to landmark a commercial building because a tenant rented there 75 years ago isn't fair to the current owners.

Shadroch,

Personally, I don't have a problem with it but respect the points you raise. However, there are plenty of landmarked buildings in NYC utilized by businesses and government (Chrysler Building, Triangle Square Building, Kings College (Columbia University's original site in downtown Manhattan) Some have even been converted into luxury condos - (Williamsburg Savings Bank Building - downtown Brooklyn). Perhaps historical designation where a plaque could be placed on the building would be more practical at this time. I'm not suggesting Disney and/or Time Warner purchase these properties. I am suggesting these companies put up some resources to see that the original sites be historically designated if landmark status is out of the question. Again, your points are good ones and would need to be addressed if the question of historical designation for these sites is raised before the City's Landmark Commission.

Thanks, (thumbs u

John