• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 3: My First Submission

9 posts in this topic

An essential experience for us collectors.

In continuing my quest for 30 journals in 30 days, my mind has been racing with ideas, the question I keep asking myself: What have I not written about yet? As I was jogging a trail by my house this morning, clear blue skies, mountains in the background (those of you who have read my previous journals are probably thinking: "Yeah, you live in Colorado and you run and hike a lot, we get it!" (wink)), one idea came that stuck with me. I have yet to write about my submissions to CGC from my own collection, I have only submitted books one time and I think of this experience as a collector's rite of passage. This was back in 2006, I had gotten some of my first slabs and I was excited to collect more. I had set up an account in the Collectors Society, I was anxious to start submitting so I purchased a membership for the coupon for three free submissions. At this point in time, I thought I had some really nice raw pieces in my collection. These were books I found at various shops, I thought I had a decent eye for picking cherry books. I also had several Heritage catalogues and the Overstreet Guide to Grading, by this point my expectations were starting to get high. I had wondered to myself if some of my raw silver and bronze pieces could compete, dare I say above the 9.0 range? This was actually wishful thinking on my part; the three books I chose - expecting grades of 9.2 or above - are listed as follows:1) Batman #192 (June 1967): This cover caught my eye at Comic Book World in Florence, KY. This store is amazing by the way, if you are in Cincinnati, OH or the Northern Kentucky area and you have not checked this place out, you're missing out. The Batman book was behind the counter, the colors were bright and Batman's head was inside a crystal ball, very strong eye appeal. This was also the first time I had seen vintage books in Mylar sleeves, compared to the regular bags seen everywhere else. The owner gave me an education on the archival qualities of Mylar, he was also generous with his time and showed me a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 and X-Men #1. I picked up the Batman #92 for $50, I was happy with my purchase. The book returned to me in 7.5 with off-white pages.2) X-Men #60 (Sept. 1969): This is the first appearance of Sauron (Karl Lykos) and has a cover and art by Neal Adams and Tom Palmer, -script by Roy Thomas. I saw this book at a shop in Cincinnati, it was $100 and I thought it was a beautiful specimen. The book appeared fresh with clean pages; I thought this was a book to handle with white gloves. I did not purchase this the first time I saw it, I sold some stuff at a relative's yard sale and went back for it. The book received a grade of 9.0, with off-white to white pages. 3) Superman #233 (Jan. 1971): The classic "Kryptonite Nevermore" storyline. How could I pass up this beautiful Neal Adams cover?! The price was $100, I had some money to burn and I wanted to buy something really special. The item returned in 8.5 with off-white pages.I was nervous about shipping these books, I also made the classic newbie mistake of packing the box with regular packing tape, the guy at the post office had to get the other kind of tape that could be stamped for registered mail. I was afraid to thumb through these books before submission but I did so carefully to double check that no coupons were cut, the centerfolds were still in place and to make sure there were no marks or coloring inside. I checked the books for this when I purchased them but it's always a bit nerve-racking doing this at a show or store. I was also curious to see if any of these would come back with restoration noted, I had no idea (and still don't) how to check for restoration. I won't forget the day I checked online to view the grades, my heart sank, I had such high hopes, at least they were all Universal grades. I thought the Batman #192 would be the highest grade of the lot, not even close.As time went on, I decided to sell these books to accumulate funds for other books, and to remove a bad taste in my mouth. I listed them on eBay sometime in 2008, the results were also disappointing.Batman #192: paid $50, realized $15X-Men #60: paid $100, realized $98Superman #233: paid $100, realized $62The passage of time has healed these wounds; I took a loss selling these books, but that's life, that's how we learn. I look back on this now and appreciate having gone through this passage; we are after all a culmination of our experiences, good and bad. I also look at these books now and can appreciate them again, they are after all really nice, neat books. I have not submitted anything since, not because of this experience, but I have yet to find anything in my collection that would be worth sending in, the more recent books I have that could be 9.8 candidates are especially not worth the time and effort. I would like to better myself in terms of grading, submitting books myself could be the best way to obtain some issues I really need for my sets, all I'm doing for the most part is simply waiting, waiting for a book to appear, where someone else did the leg work. I also just checked the certification numbers on the three slabs, the grade date was 10/30/2006, so seven years ago this time, I was expecting a package that I had to sign for. Thanks for reading.Brandon

Thanks for reading.

Brandon

14595.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

This journal entry struck a chord with me. I am really new to slabbed comics myself. I used to collect between 89 and 96 and one day, I just stopped cold turkey. I never looked back at collecting again, and never thought I would start again.

After moving around more than a few times, I took a look into my two long boxes I bought all those years ago and fell in love with my books all over again.

Then I saw on ebay all these "slabs" I thought, what an idea, finally a way to prove an issues worth in a format that can still allow enjoyment of the detail in the artwork. Then I fell onto this site and many others, and as they say, the rest is history.

I went through my box and realized I was caught up in the moment of the times. Back in that time period, comic companies were pushing for more sales, every issue was a "key" issue. Some issues had more than 5 variants in a scheme to get your money.

Then I found titles that I had really fell in love with. Ones that connected with my teenaged angst, and somehow, still does. I am now on a quest to collect those series that I only half heartedly went after.

I have already made some mistakes, but thanks to people like yourself who share so much with this community, I am able to walk along and nod my head in understanding.

Kudos

Dear Brandon,

Thank you for sharing such a terrific and emotional journal.

I know exactly that dissapointing feeling one gets when comics are graded way below expectations.

In my first submissions ever, I sent in 13 of my Frank Miller Daredevils which I bought as a kid from Newsstands. I had high-hopes for that set, expecting 9.4, 9.6, and maybe some 9.8's galore.

That faithful day, when I checked the grades on the Collectors Society site, I was happy to see some graded 9.4 and even 9.2, but others at 9.0, 8.5, and 8.0 just leeched the blood from my veins. Those grades are like the death knell for comics in the Copper and Modern Ages.

I realize, the DD's that came back below 9.2, I may never be able to sell or realize what I had paid for them. My only caveat, I paid the original newsstand cover price for those comics, however, the CGC costs for each comic still sting! Ouch!

Once again... great journal! Glad to see you are up to #3! Only 27 more to go!

SW3D

The timing for this is perfect. i sent this to someone who is just getting into CGC. I thought this was the perfect journal for him to read.

All in all though, the books you sent in, you should have kept. They were your babies. Hell, my 4.5 copy i spent more money on then it will ever be worth except for insurance purposes. I tack that money on every time I have another signature added....oh I was so close for Tom Mandrake.

Great Journal.

1) Batman #192 (June 1967): This cover caught my eye at Comic Book World in Florence, KY. This store is amazing by the way, if you are in Cincinnati, OH or the Northern Kentucky area and you have not checked this place out, you're missing out.

I wholeheartedly endorse this comment. The Comic Book World chain along I-71 is excellent. There is one in Louisville, and a former one in Cincinnatti proper that is now known as Up, Up and Away! All are well-run, exemplary shops with a mix of new books, back issues, table gaming, etc. Some of my favorite additions to my collection have come from this chain, including a very nice Flash 175 that is currently beign slabbed.

I also totally understand your underwhelmed reaction; I've had books that I expected to be 8.5-9.2 come back 6.5-7.5. But I've also had the opposite experience, and I guess that keeps me coming back. Personally I would've been hugely disappointed with your Batman 192 7.5, but thrilled with your X-Men 60 9.0. Anything pre-1970 in 9.0 and up is cool in my book.

This journal entry struck a chord with me. I am really new to slabbed comics myself. I used to collect between 89 and 96 and one day, I just stopped cold turkey. I never looked back at collecting again, and never thought I would start again.

After moving around more than a few times, I took a look into my two long boxes I bought all those years ago and fell in love with my books all over again.

Then I saw on ebay all these "slabs" I thought, what an idea, finally a way to prove an issues worth in a format that can still allow enjoyment of the detail in the artwork. Then I fell onto this site and many others, and as they say, the rest is history.

I went through my box and realized I was caught up in the moment of the times. Back in that time period, comic companies were pushing for more sales, every issue was a "key" issue. Some issues had more than 5 variants in a scheme to get your money.

Then I found titles that I had really fell in love with. Ones that connected with my teenaged angst, and somehow, still does. I am now on a quest to collect those series that I only half heartedly went after.

I have already made some mistakes, but thanks to people like yourself who share so much with this community, I am able to walk along and nod my head in understanding.

Kudos

MetalPSI,

I enjoyed reading your response, I can relate to your departure and rediscovery of comics. Welcome to the world of CGC and good luck on you quest to find those issues that connect with you.

Dear Brandon,

Thank you for sharing such a terrific and emotional journal.

I know exactly that dissapointing feeling one gets when comics are graded way below expectations.

In my first submissions ever, I sent in 13 of my Frank Miller Daredevils which I bought as a kid from Newsstands. I had high-hopes for that set, expecting 9.4, 9.6, and maybe some 9.8's galore.

That faithful day, when I checked the grades on the Collectors Society site, I was happy to see some graded 9.4 and even 9.2, but others at 9.0, 8.5, and 8.0 just leeched the blood from my veins. Those grades are like the death knell for comics in the Copper and Modern Ages.

I realize, the DD's that came back below 9.2, I may never be able to sell or realize what I had paid for them. My only caveat, I paid the original newsstand cover price for those comics, however, the CGC costs for each comic still sting! Ouch!

Once again... great journal! Glad to see you are up to #3! Only 27 more to go!

SW3D

Thanks SW3D!

I saw where you had a lot of issues you bought off the stands graded, I wonder what some of the books I bought off the stands would get, best not to submit them, the results would more than likely be less than 9.0.

Imagine trying to sell a Superman comic from 1995 in 8.5, the listing could read something like "Superman with mullet, original owner!"

1) Batman #192 (June 1967): This cover caught my eye at Comic Book World in Florence, KY. This store is amazing by the way, if you are in Cincinnati, OH or the Northern Kentucky area and you have not checked this place out, you're missing out.

I wholeheartedly endorse this comment. The Comic Book World chain along I-71 is excellent. There is one in Louisville, and a former one in Cincinnatti proper that is now known as Up, Up and Away! All are well-run, exemplary shops with a mix of new books, back issues, table gaming, etc. Some of my favorite additions to my collection have come from this chain, including a very nice Flash 175 that is currently beign slabbed.

I also totally understand your underwhelmed reaction; I've had books that I expected to be 8.5-9.2 come back 6.5-7.5. But I've also had the opposite experience, and I guess that keeps me coming back. Personally I would've been hugely disappointed with your Batman 192 7.5, but thrilled with your X-Men 60 9.0. Anything pre-1970 in 9.0 and up is cool in my book.

Hey Garlanda,

I never got the opportunity to visit some of their other stores, the one in Florence was a bit of a trip so I only went occasionally, and I would hit the jackpot each time. Sometimes the jackpot would be dollar books, other times it would be hard to find or out of print graphic novels (that looked brand new!) or special Bronze Age pieces. One of my favorite additions from them would be Batman #251, the classic Joker cover by Neal Adams. I'm not sure what my copy would grade but I think I will enjoy it more in its raw form.

The timing for this is perfect. i sent this to someone who is just getting into CGC. I thought this was the perfect journal for him to read.

All in all though, the books you sent in, you should have kept. They were your babies. Hell, my 4.5 copy i spent more money on then it will ever be worth except for insurance purposes. I tack that money on every time I have another signature added....oh I was so close for Tom Mandrake.

Great Journal.

Thanks Tnerb,

Maybe I should have kept these, especially the X-Men and Superman. Who knows, had I waited until several years down the road to sell, I might have been able to make a decent return. Perhaps I'll read this many years from now and kick myself for parting with theses. Oh well, it is what it is, the experience is still valuable!