• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage auctions

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am thinking about biding on some heritage books for the first time and had a couple of questions.

Do their auctions get a lot of last minute bids like Ebay, is there snipe software out there that works for Heritage. I dont want to use it but I want to know if I need to keep hitting the refresh button a lot.

All the auctions seem to finish at the same time so there is no possibility of knowing if I have won something before bidding on another book. I would have thought they would get higher prices if they staggered the end times. Anybody know why not?

Cheers

Similar to Ebay you will get the last minute bidding. I would just put in the price that you are willing to pay. From my experience, there will not be any real bargains. Most of the auctions I win are books that are priced close to guide. for some reason, the final price seems to fall at my maximum bid. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Similar to Ebay you will get the last minute bidding. I would just put in the price that you are willing to pay. From my experience, there will not be any real bargains. Most of the auctions I win are books that are priced close to guide. for some reason, the final price seems to fall at my maximum bid. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Much like eBay, if you are patient you can find good deals. With any high grade CGC'd stuff anywhere, it can get expensive very quickly, but their raw and medium-grade stuff can be very reasonable. I've found their grading for their raw books to be pretty good as well - much better than eBay.

The truth is:

There is very little sniping.

Especially on CGC books that are getting pretty close to guide value, usually if you are winning in the last five minutes, you have a real shot to win. On some of the unslabbed lots that the bids are around 20-50%, there can be some more last minute bidding as someone tries to snipe a bargain lot.

BUT THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: makepoint.gif

If you really want a book, make sure you are winning it in the last ten minutes. I say this because on more than one occasion, I was not able to make a bid as their connection gets slammed (probably people just refreshing the page).

Also regarding putting in a high max bid, I can say that I've won books for $300 less than my max, so I really don't think there is any shilling going on.