• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 4: My First CGC Comic

3 posts in this topic

The first one was poison, scarlet poison!

It's only day four of my run at one journal a day for 30 days and the ideas are still flowing. For day 3, I wrote about my first submission to CGC, this got me in a mood to reflect and a lot of memories are coming back to me. Since I wrote about my first submission, I couldn't help but think about my first graded comic. My first slab was a copy of Detective Comics #694 (Feb 1996) in 9.8 grade. I purchased this in the spring of 2006, listed on eBay with 'Buy It Now or Best Offer' for $20.00, I got it for $17.00.

At this particular time, I was still getting Batman books off the new release shelves when I could. I had done some research into CGC, trying to get an idea of what the grades were like, prices and so on. I thought the Detective #694 would be a good starting point, a chance to jump in and learn the ropes so to say. I had yet to hold a slab in my hands, I saw a few over the years at a few different shops, but they were always out of reach. I had wondered how the slab would feel and how sturdy they were, I couldn't wait to find out.

I was surprised to find that CGC slabs were not completely sealed on the outer shell. I had seen many graded coins before this; NCG and PCGS holders for coins are completely sealed and difficult to crack, I had assumed CGC holders were the same. I came to realized that the holder, while tamper proof, was designed to open should removal of the comic be desired.

What else surprised me? How nice the comic inside was. This was the first time I had seen a truly near mint/mint comic. I always had several raw issues; issues I've read carefully and stored in plastic for years, but I only have a few that could possibly make it to 9.8. Seeing the beautiful examples of Detective Comics #694 was quite an experience for a CGC newbie. I had never seen a spine so nice and tight, or corners so sharp, the cover gloss was also enchanting. I knew that book was nothing special in terms of monetary value; this was always meant to be a starter, not a flipper. With my first CGC example in hand, things changed for me, I had to have all my comics this way. This has in turn lead to many more purchases over the years, this was not the first step in my comic collecting journey, but it was a turning point in that journey.

Finding the photo I took of my first slab years ago almost makes me wish I would have kept it. There were some other Batman books listed from the eBay seller I bought it from in the same grade and price range, I chose the Tec #694 not only for its grade and price but also for the cover. I always felt for Poison Ivy, she's not all bad, right? She was just mistreated in her youth. The cover of Tec #694 made me feel for her even more, but I still wouldn't let her kiss me.

Poisoned B

14601.JPG

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

I totally know that feeling when you first hold up a graded comic and see just how beatiful it looks in Mint condition.

My first was Swamp Thing Volume 1, Number 1. It was only a 9.2, but to me it was eye-popping Mint state. And it's a gorgeous book: flat, high gloss and reflectivity, and well-centered. It is one of the few comics I will hold on to until retirement and perhaps beyond... because it was my first.

And speaking of firsts... the first time I read a Batman comic featuring Poison Ivy was Batman 344. I still have that one, and I think it's in excellent shape. If I were to get it graded it should grade at least 9.4, but I wouldn't doubt if it got 9.6 or even 9.8.

Can't wait for your next journal. It's nice to stroll down memory lane with you!

SW3D

I could have sworn my first three were three, but all I can remember are two. The first one is Secret War #2 and Daredevil #90. Don't know if I'll keep them. I don't feel as sentimental with them because I bought them as a novelty, not as a collectible.