• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Low grade keys vs high grade nonkeys

31 posts in this topic

Hi everyone:

I would like some perspectives on the investment return value differences, all things being equal, between unrestored low grade (GVG range) 2nd and 3rd tier keys (for example, More Fun 55) and unrestored higher grade (VF range) 2nd and 3rd tier nonkeys with cool covers (for example, More Fun 61). Thanks for any opinions.

Generally yes, but some "cool cover" non-keys end up becoming keys for many collectors as origin and 1st appearance keys get too expensive, and in some cases rival them in value. Some of the biggest percentage run-ups in price for GA books in the last decade were for classic cover books.

Depends on the key issues you invest in. Not all keys are "blue chip" investments that are guaranteed to go up as fast as others. Action #1, Batman #1... sure. Comic Cavalcade #1, Leading comics #1... not so sure.

Also, some high grade books go up much faster than others. A high grade Marvel Mystery #40 or Captain America #28 will always be in demand while a high grade Superman #41 will probably increase in value at a much slower rate.

It's always hard to answer such an open-ended question as the answer depends on the specific books you invest in.

Interesting question. I would always prefer a book with more demand and lower grade keys should always have high demand for several basic reasons:

1) lower grade = more affordable = more potential buyers

2) people are always drawn to keys as collectors can rarely complete runs so they may focus on the 1-2 main keys in a run

That being said, I would do research into the price movement on a specific book. For instance, there are clearly some titles that have seen some dramatic and perhaps unsustainable price increases over the past few years.

In the end, collecting for fun and profit can be tough. So I figure follow Warren Buffet and buy what you like and you will rarely go wrong.

Keys 99/100 times.

Does the first appearance of Rocket racer (ASM #172) have more value than the next issue?

There probably isn't a more minor key than RR - but the answer is yes!

A 9.8 sells for $400 ish, ASM #173, nowhere near it.

The more 'important' the key, the larger the disparity. My collection is 100% first appearances, ans I am confident that they will hold their value whilst I enjoy them.

2c

Thanks, everyone. So to be more specific, and to make sure I understand this:

More Fun 55 (2nd or 3rd tier key) in VG OPG price is $3400.

More Fun 61 (non key but cool cover) in VF OPG price is $3088.

Since they are approximately the same price, which has the best investment potential over time, and why?

Sorry to sound redundant, just trying to get it:)

I would go with 1st Doc Fate. Both covers are good but I like the 55 better in every way. No question for me.

To answer the question above, its a book by book basis on an investment basis.

But adding in the human factor, its which book would you rather be stuck with if prices drop.

Since they are approximately the same price, which has the best investment potential over time, and why?

Both are equally poor investment choices but both are great books to collect!

Keys 99/100 times.

Does the first appearance of Rocket racer (ASM #172) have more value than the next issue?

The more 'important' the key, the larger the disparity. My collection is 100% first appearances, ans I am confident that they will hold their value whilst I enjoy them.

2c

Last recorder 173 sale was $400 last recorded 172 sale was $165 with a $157 12 month average. For Spidey's between 130-193 the primary determinant of price is census population. Hence the otherwise anomalous spikes for 131, 148, 152 etc

151 is a double whammy of popular cover and low census numbers.

Besides that I would agree with beige. I almost exclusively want to own first appearances or classic covers. And I would consider a classic cover to be a key.

I was going to post something similar. But I love both of those books, so they are worth having from an enjoyment factor to be sure. But I don't see them increasing in value.

I was going to post something similar. But I love both of those books, so they are worth having from an enjoyment factor to be sure. But I don't see them increasing in value.

Let's hope for a Dr. Fate movie! :idea:

Let's hope for a Dr. Fate movie! :idea:

:wishluck:

There are keys, non keys and then minor keys and gradations in between. Plus genre matters.

A non key funny book has so little movement, while a non key Timely or early Action are as liquid as can be and tend to move with the keys.

Keep in mind too, we live in a comic book bull market nearly 4 decades old. It is very easy to falsely believe that comic prices only move in one direction. They do until they don't.

So another POV is what would get hit the hardest going down a G Cap 1 at $20,000 or 3 or 4 VF+ Caps issues 40-50 also worth $20,000.

I imagine its about equal in terms of investment. And as usual it depends on what you like personally. You could easily say you want that mega key first appearance or you could insist that the comic presents nicely. Assuming the price is equal, the market has spoken that they are equivalent.

ASM 172 is not a key. Absolutely no one cares about the Rocket Racer. This book is almost the living definition of a non-key book. You appear to be mistaken about how much it sells for.

If you were going to cherry-pick a run of ASM 150-200, 172 would be in the bottom half of the books, not the top half. The run's only big key is 194, but I'd pick 161, 162, 174-180 (punisher and goblin appearances), 185 (Peter's graduation), and 200 out of the run as very minor keys.

Keys 99/100 times.

2c

Your comments lead me to another very, very broad and perhaps unanswerable question. For speculation's purposes, let's remove the top 7 keys from the question: Action 1, Tec 27, Superman 1, AA 16, Marvel 1, Batman 1, Cap 1. Absent these keys, what annual rate of return do you think the general GA superhero market is currently at? Compress low grade, high grade, restored, keys, classic covers, bad covers, everything, to one percentage:

-0%? 2%? 5%? 7%? etc.