• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an odd question - do people ever trade books for art? If so... any tips?

68 posts in this topic

I believe they posted the art and I sent them a list of books offline that I had to trade.

It depends on what you're looking to trade for. I suggest you list the books you're willing to trade and the condition as a start. You should also state what you're looking for. You may get lucky and find someone that's looking to fill out their runs and also part with something you're looking for.

I actually had luck trading runs of Silver Age comics to a couple people with art on these boards. Worked out for everyone!

Oh, interesting! Did you list on the comics marketplace or the art one?

At one time I owned a near-complete collection of Marvel silver age superhero books.

Sold them all years ago and ploughed the money back into original art.

I have most of those books in reprint editions (Marvel Masterworks, etc.), and as I just want reading copies on hand (as opposed to slabbed books), I've never regretted parting with any of those original comic-books.

Original artwork is the only thing I give a damn about (in this hobby). Comics are mass-produced items, so format is no longer a biggie to me. I want something I can read and enjoy, not a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care (if that makes sense?).

It makes zero sense, since you asked

At one time I owned a near-complete collection of Marvel silver age superhero books.

I have most of those books in reprint editions (Marvel Masterworks, etc.), and as I just want reading copies on hand (as opposed to slabbed books), I've never regretted parting with any of those original comic-books.

Original artwork is the only thing I give a damn about (in this hobby). Comics are mass-produced items, so format is no longer a biggie to me. I want something I can read and enjoy, not a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care (if that makes sense?).

Never mind. :facepalm:

I guess you didn't progress much beyond kindergarten? hm

Some recommended reading for you, perhaps?

BCB-amp-BGB.jpg

Well, Bill, was talking about comic books vs OA... that's one thing.. you made it personal 2c

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding and you thought it was a personal attack but knowing Bill I'd almost guarantee you he was talking about the relative merits of comics vs OA and disagreeing with your stance, but not attacking you as a person :foryou:

Anyways, I guess I'd better butt out, its between you two ultimately.

I have done comics/art trades which involved very nice comics and very nice pieces of art. While each piece of art is unique, I have since found other pages that were similar enough to ones involved in the trades. I later acquired a "substitute" for one page I traded away; in other cases I have chosen not to get a similar example.

The comics that I acquired or let go of are extraordinary and, 10-15 years later, still the best or second best examples. My trades were done with people who collect both art and comics but that specialize in much harder to find books rather than SA Marvels which are relatively common.

If comic art had been done in color I would probably have given up collecting comics. What original art I collect is almost exclusively b&w and I love color so much that I still want to own the original comics in a condition that is as close as possible to how they came off the press. No reprint beats seeing and reading a sparkly fresh original. :cloud9:

Have any of the various "enhancement" techniques (pressing, spine shifting, undisclosed cleaning, et al) that have come to light over the past few years affected your view of high-grade comics collecting?

Speaking for myself, I've always appreciated pristine copies of comics. But that enthusiasm has definitely been dampened in the CPR Era. To the point where, while I can still appreciate a nice looking book, the grade no longer means much to me. Not when books routinely get grade bumps, either through inconsistent grading or, more commonly, though manipulation. And I certainly no longer feel any desire to spend like I once did on potentially restored books (whether or not CGC defines any of these techniques as "restoration"). Sad to say, I don't see these books as "sparkly", "fresh", or "original" any more. So I may as well get the reprint, where my only concern is enjoying the content within.

I want something I can read and enjoy, not a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care (if that makes sense?).

While I understand your sentiment (I'm considering selling my comics), isn't a nice OA page a "valuable relic that needs to be handled with care?"

Well, Bill, was talking about comic books vs OA... that's one thing.. you made it personal 2c

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding and you thought it was a personal attack but knowing Bill I'd almost guarantee you he was talking about the relative merits of comics vs OA and disagreeing with your stance, but not attacking you as a person :foryou:

Anyways, I guess I'd better butt out.

No need to butt out, Dan.

If Bill had a problem with my post and needed clarification, further explanation or simply wanted to debate the merits of one form of collecting over another, I would have been happy to discuss this further.

No mention was made of comics vs original art in his throwaway comment (which effectively suggested that I was talking nonsense . . . making it personal).

I want something I can read and enjoy, not a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care (if that makes sense?).

While I understand your sentiment (I'm considering selling my comics), isn't a nice OA page a "valuable relic that needs to be handled with care?"

Oh, absolutely, as befitting a one-of-a-kind item.

The point I was trying to make is that, as a fan of comic-books (a mass-produced item), the expensive values affixed to the original printings is no longer for me. I'm happy with reading copies (where value won't diminish through repetitive handling).

You can frame a piece of art (which will negate the possibility of damage through handling), whereas a slabbed comic-book will only permit viewing of the front and back covers.

I may be in a minority on this one, but I've always wanted comic-books to look at (and enjoy) in their entirety.

If I wasn't a fan of comic-books, I would hardly be a fan of OA now, would I?

Well, less so right? Nobody cares about a 1/2 inch corner crease on the margin of an artboard. That same crease would decimate the grade and value of a hg comic.

Yes, especially since a framed piece or one in a portfolio can be fully enjoyed in that state. A slabbed comic is dead. :(

You can frame a piece of art (which will negate the possibility of damage through handling), whereas a slabbed comic-book will only permit viewing of the front and back covers.

Got it. I am not a fan of the slab.

I may be in a minority on this one, but I've always wanted comic-books to look at (and enjoy) in their entirety.

Me, too.

However, this makes me some what less happy with the current reprints since they leave so much out - ads - even house ads! - and letter columns. Not to mention, the old cartoon shorts like Super Turtle and Cap's Hobby Shop.

Still, they are enough that i definitely consider selling my collection which dates from the mid-60s to current day - with a 5-Year Gap of my own.

However, this makes me some what less happy with the current reprints since they leave so much out - ads - even house ads! - and letter columns. Not to mention, the old cartoon shorts like Super Turtle and Cap's Hobby Shop.

Still, they are enough that i definitely consider selling my collection which dates from the mid-60s to current day - with a 5-Year Gap of my own.

Not all reprint editions have left out the house ads. The Russ Cochran EC Library sets (which, as a result of shooting directly from the OA, gave us a superior improvement over the 1950s books) also reprinted all the old house-ads and letters columns.

Similarly, a publisher friend over here in the UK (Paul Stephenson), has been reprinting all the old 1950s ACG and Harvey Horror books in hardback format. All the house-ads, letters pages, etc. are included in full.

When I'm re-reading reprint editions of old comic-books (that have since departed from my collection), I'm immersed in the story-telling . . . and the vehicle that feature these stories (irrespective of whether or not the original comic-books or reprint editions) is mostly irrelevant.

I'm a fan of the writer and artist/s works . . . not necessarily the format they appear in.

If that makes sense? ;)

You are correct Bronty, the denigrating way Terry referred to comics vs. his beloved original art was what prompted my response.

I simply said the way he positioned the two made zero sense to me. I saw nothing personal about that. Apparently he wears his heart on his sleeve and was spoiling for a fight with a comic geek. Most people that know me, and have any credibility in the hobby, like yourself and clearly unlike Mr. Doyle would know that comics and original art are both great and each have unique qualities about them that can make them desirable to collect and enjoy

Never mind. :facepalm:

I guess you didn't progress much beyond kindergarten? hm

Some recommended reading for you, perhaps?

BCB-amp-BGB.jpg

And since you are making it personal, anus breath,

Allow me to render a retort

spock.jpg

Apparently you can read, bully for you.

Yet your ability to make a salient point without reducing the analogy to something only the rudimentary, troglodyte, mind like yours seems able to employ, i.e. "what I collect rocks, what you collects sucks" obscured your point to the degree that I was not able to determine any sense out of it..

How long have you been capable of locomotion? The self propelled kind, not motorized?

There, that's more personal. So now your umbrage is justified and I'm sure your fragile sense of machismo is near its breaking point.

But, please, carry on with your nonsensical ramblings

You are correct Bronty, the denigrating way Terry referred to comics vs. his beloved original art was what prompted my response.

I simply said the way he positioned the two made zero sense to me. I saw nothing personal about that. Apparently he wears his heart on his sleeve and was spoiling for a fight with a comic geek. Most people that know me, and have any credibility in the hobby, like yourself and clearly unlike Mr. Doyle would know that comics and original art are both great and each have unique qualities about them that can make them desirable to collect and enjoy

Actually, you made no point (other than a rude one-liner) about comics vs original art in your response to me. This is something you now (conveniently) feel appropriate to elaborate on.

The thread was started by a lister who's considering funding his move into OA by selling-off parts of his comics collection. If you bother to read through the thread properly you might notice that my posts are nothing more than a personal recollection of how I did the same myself (which might be of interest, and use, to the guy who asked the question).

Original artwork and comics go hand-in-hand, and I have never lost my love of both (you jump to the wrong conclusion about me on this one). If I didn't love comics, it would make no sense for me to love original comic-strip artwork would it? Only thing that is no longer of any great importance to me is the format of the end-product. An inexpensive reprint is fine for my needs.

If you had a problem with the content of any of my posts, you should have asked for clarification, instead of resorting to a cheap pot shot that (at face value) read like a rude rebuttal.