• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a score - the $20 per book golden age collection

74 posts in this topic

I periodically do searches on Craigslist for comics, specifically old MLJ (Archie, Pep, Top-Notch, etc.) and now can show you all my latest SCORE. This deal started off late in the summer and it's finally back safe at my house. - I didn't want to say anything until the deal was completely finished and I had them home, bagged and boarded. The Craiglister told me it was her husband's collection and he was no longer around so she wanted to sell them for quick cash.

She told me she'd done some google searches and there was a "dealer in NY that paid the most money" but then I explained to her that it'd be a huge hassle shipping them and they'll low ball you anyway. Also told her the Superman / Batman and stuff like that usually fetch the most money. She wanted $25 per book but I negotiated $20 per book and handed her cash - she was thrilled.

Anyway, what a score! It's mostly Top-Notch comics, and the entire run is here, along with some other gems. Doesn't appear to be an original collection but something pieced together after the fact. Who cares? It was $20 per book!

https://post.craigslist.org/4126748702 *Edit looks like the link no longer works.

Anyway, will be uploading some scans. What a score! It pays to repeatedly search Craigslist I guess!

I'll triple your money for you if you'd like :wishluck:

Some duplicates and a few coverless reading copies. I think 56 books. It's at least an entire run of Top-Notch / Top-Notch Laugh / Laugh Comix from 1939-1944. There's a Zip 47, Pep 38, and obviously the Archie 3 in there too.

Will post better pics of each book.

Wow...what a score! You snagged those away from a dealer? That is golden. Nice score, Shawn. Jeez, that 24 look perfect.

Well they said they considered contacting the large dealers, and mentioned one in NY that runs heavy promotions. I was able to easily talk them out of it though since it'd be such a hassle to ship, and hinted they might not even get what I was offering.

I don't think $1000 for this run was "stealing" it or anything. Do you? Now had I paid $1 a piece I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Oh, and they're not for sale either; please don't PM me about offers. I will update this thread if I decide to unload them. Right now I'm enjoying the deal...thx!

I love the WW II covered ones the best!