• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most expensive book you have ever put a tape-pull on?

79 posts in this topic

I was showing a Blue Beetle (GA) 1 to a customer at the 1979 Chicago Comicon. The perspective buyer caught the tape putting it back in the bag.

Arrgh - I was asking $300 for the book. :makepoint: Ended up selling it for $100 to a different guy.

I had a similar experience back when I had my shop. I made the customer pay full sticker

Good for you. That's only fair.

The LCS in town has the staff pull books from bags and molars for exactly this reason. The customer isn't allowed to do it. (High end books only)

I watched a customer do it at a dealers stand at the 1st SDCC I attended. The customer handed the book back to the dealer with the bag taped to the cover of the book and quickly walked off. The dealer was understandably mad !

And before you ask, I was NOT the customer. I always let the dealer pull the book from the bag on anything remotely expensive.

I've got you all beat how about a hulk #1?? yes it did happen to me, not quite as dumb as trying to remove some residue from a marvel spotlight unsure of the issue # but 1st ww by night with goo gone.....the goo was gone but so was a portion of the color. Hulk #1 sold a few years ago and was pretty beat so I don't think it affected resale too much...

The LCS in town has the staff pull books from bags and molars for exactly this reason. The customer isn't allowed to do it. (High end books only)

Your LCS does dentistry as well? :o

Nick Fury 1 VF/NM, Sterenko sig on the splash page. Still drives me crazy. I was taking it out of the bag to scan and take photos for the "group shot" thread in Silver for my completed run. Still haven't got the shots as this made me so mad.

Thought I had gotten smart by using double sided tape for my Mylars...

Cheers,

Cole

Green Lantern 5 (SA). Happened around 1978.

Like someone else mentioned, I use adhesive tabs. I tend to get the rectangular ones instead of round, but either stick well enough to hold a bag shut but easily peel off of paper should they touch it.

I suggest removable circular adhesive labels from Office Depot. Holds well, peels off covers without damage, and you can write on them. Will never tape a bag again.

Same. Using tape for comic bags is like using barbed wire to lace your shoes...you guys are all masochists. :screwy:

41ozZRD8jQL._SY300_.jpg

I was showing a Blue Beetle (GA) 1 to a customer at the 1979 Chicago Comicon. The perspective buyer caught the tape putting it back in the bag.

Arrgh - I was asking $300 for the book. :makepoint: Ended up selling it for $100 to a different guy.

I had a similar experience back when I had my shop. I made the customer pay full sticker

at comic cons, I always make the dealer open, remove and reinsert the books for me. They look at me funny sometimes, but that's my policy.

My one and only tape pull was a Strange Tales 110. It was very low grade anyway as it looked like someone had decided to use the back of it to protect their workbench while spray painting a pinewood derby car bright red.

About twenty five years go at a local show, I was working a trade. Amazing Spiderman 50 straight up for an Avengers 4. While showing the guy my Avengers 4.....placed the tape along the TOP edge of the bag.....pulled the Wasp off of the top logo box(right out of Giant Man's hand)!....needless to say the trade did not happen. I gave the copy to a local shop just to be rid of it.

I went to a garage sale one time, the guy had comics listed in his ad. I looked through his books and didn't find any that interested me. He asked what I was looking for and I told him Fantastic Fours. He went inside and came out with a Fantastic Four #4. I looked at it and it had the biggest tape pull down the center of the book. He said he had done that a couple days prior to the sale. I remember a full length crease on the back but the front was vf-nm before the tape pull.

No horrible tape-pull that I can remember, but I did have a recent experience with a decent Tales to Astonish 100. I had packed a short box too tightly and noticed later that the bottom half of the TTA 100 had been pushed down under the other books, curling it. I put it under a long box for a couple weeks, but there is still some noticeable spine damage from it. I try not to pack it in so tight any more. Apparently the books find it uncomfortable.