• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantagraphics needs you!

42 posts in this topic

I'm inclined to agree with this. If I pay for a signed book, that's what I expect, not a signed bookplate. If they're up front about it, that's no problem, but otherwise I can see why others would be unhappy, and I would be too.

This isn't comics-related, but the guys who write the Freakonomics books recently had a thing on their website where you could request a signed bookplate of their new book - all you had to do was give your mailing address and they would post it anywhere in the world, free. That was very cool, as there was no alternative for me (no UK signing that I was aware of).

Tipped in plates for autographed books are common in the industry, particularly with signed and numbered editions, but everyone's right.

They should be advertised as such. Signed book is a signed book, NOT a tipped in plate.

Tipped in plates for autographed books are common in the industry, particularly with signed and numbered editions, but everyone's right.

They should be advertised as such. Signed book is a signed book, NOT a tipped in plate.

Bud Plant sold a lot of books with tipped-in plates, so not surprising that Fantagraphics is doing it as well.

I understand the original model for kickstarter, but these companies that are now using it as a revenue stream (even a temporary one) are not doing Kickstarter the way it was intended.

This cannot be stated enough.

Businesses are now using KS to obtain "free" money in exchange for nothing but cheap merchandising tchotkes they were already producing in the first place. It's not crowdsourcing anymore, it's crowdfleecing.

Granted, all of KS isn't that way - but I am staggered by the amount of business models that are that way now.

I understand the original model for kickstarter, but these companies that are now using it as a revenue stream (even a temporary one) are not doing Kickstarter the way it was intended.

This cannot be stated enough.

Businesses are now using KS to obtain "free" money in exchange for nothing but cheap merchandising tchotkes they were already producing in the first place. It's not crowdsourcing anymore, it's crowdfleecing.

Granted, all of KS isn't that way - but I am staggered by the amount of business models that are that way now.

Well its free money. Show me the company that doesn't like that.

Consumers just need to be discerning in the projects they support.

I honestly prefer it over the people who are trying to sell their sub-par comic on Kickstarter for $10 per download and $50 per physical copy.

The best Kickstarter was for the first Tome by 44Flood, but I missed it :cry:

Has anyone who ordered through the Kickstarter received anything? I'm reading comments on the Kickstarter page and people are pissed. Signed books are being with signed cards inserted in a copy of the book. Emails are going unanswered. People waiting for books for months. My understanding is that the collected Rosa I got is delayed until October vs. the July estimate. But no word from Fantagraphics.

I got mine back in...March?

That is odd because I'm emailing a rep from Fantagraphics and about to buy something signed by Gilbert Hernandez.

Maybe I shouldn't?

Just make sure it's actually signed. He's the one that I got a signed comic from randomly when ordering my annual Love And Rockets.

I preordered the Strangers In Paradise softcover omnibus through Abstract Studio for the full $100 before I saw it on Amazon for $60. It arrived with the slipcase split on a seam. I couldn't find any contact info except a Tumblr, so I sent a message asking if I could get a replacement. It wouldn't have been a big deal if I couldn't though. I just pulled it off the shelf to look at it and it's not that bad. I mean it's a big split, but right on the seam and hardly visible. Probably an easy repair if I bothered. But I never got a reply and then forgot about it. Months later I got a message from Terry Moore apologizing and saying he hardly ever checks his Tumblr messages, gave me some contact info to get it resolved asap. I never bothered at that point though. I had gotten used to it and now I don't feel like I need a replacement.

A ding like that on yours though, that would suck. First time I ever returned anything on Amazon was a TMNT HC with a ding just like that. A little too much to look past for me.

Yeah it's pretty bad and it sucks. I don't think it was the packaging but a postal worker who dropped it (it was taken in for inspection/taxation)

th_IMG_20130408_222829_zps8edfd37c.jpg

So not only did i get to pay another 25%, i also got a dinged book....

Decided not to get the subsequent books because of it, even though i'd really like to have them.

Maybe it could be pressed out a little (shrug) just haven't bothered :(

And don't even get me started on amazon...never getting anything but readers there ever again(think they dinged 4 out of 4 hardcovers :facepalm: )

And don't even get me started on amazon…never getting anything but readers there ever again(think they dinged 4 out of 4 hardcovers :facepalm: )

I just can't understand Amazon and their packaging. Sometimes the book is packaged perfectly and it looks pretty simple. Other times it is a mess. It ticks me off and I've sent back numerous hardcovers to get a replacement that is just as bad.

Their prices and free shipping is a huge incentive though…

Amazon has always packaged my books bad, and I think every single HC I ever got from them came with a little dinged corner. Usually small enough for me to not bother sending back, but none of my Amazon HC's have sharp corners. They either curve in slightly, have a little split in the binding right there, or are soft on the corner.

Hooray! Another update that Fantagraphics is confirming that my Rosa HC will not be signed, but will instead include a signed bookplate. Not what I ordered. Hooray! No good deed goes unpunished. :facepalm: