• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep 22 CGC VG+ can be yours...for only 200k!

76 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEP-COMICS-22-CGC-4-5-1ST-APP-ARCHIE-RAREST-KEY-COMIC-IN-EXISTENCE-/301007054747?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item46156b279b

So much wrong I don't know where to begin. Amazing that 8 CGC census copies translates into "PEP 22 HAS LONG BEEN THE MOST UNDERVALUED BOOK IN COMICS...WHY?? BECAUSE THE BOOK WENT UNSOLD FOR PRACTICALLY DECADES SINCE...WELL...ONLY 8 PEOPLE OWN ONE! "

Yep, you're not counted as an owner unless you slab a book. Sigh.

Also..slightly brittle pages?

He's a little optimistic. A 6.5 Blue label (2nd highest graded) sold less than a year ago for $111K.

Tough book, though.

He's a little optimistic. A 6.5 Blue label (2nd highest graded) sold less than a year ago for $111K.

Tough book, though.

Owned it, read it, sold it. :) Amazing book indeed.

Tough book, though.

Owned it, read it, sold it. :) Amazing book indeed.

Yup. I remember reading about it several times.

I had one too. :cloud9:

What is a reasonable multiple for raw copies if 8 have been graded?

I've sold 3 raw lower grades in the last year+ ...22-30k

Do you have any kind of sense of what percentage of the raw universe those 3 represented?

Did they come out of the woodwork because the book has started to get some recognition or have you seen a few raws yearly?

What is a reasonable multiple for raw copies if 8 have been graded?

I've sold 3 raw lower grades in the last year+ ...22-30k

Do you have any kind of sense of what percentage of the raw universe those 3 represented?

Did they come out of the woodwork because the book has started to get some recognition or have you seen a few raws yearly?

I actually had never owned a copy up until about 2 yrs ago. A friend sold me his and I sold it back to him next day (just so I could own it lol )

Sure prices recently realized had a lot to do with it

E-bay ....i.e. the Garbage can....another hustler, showman, ......200K what a joke.......

Folks, if you want a laugh....go to ebay....

I agree that there are a lot of scam artists and scum bags on ebay but I wouldn't dismiss it completely if I were you.

There are also plenty of good dealers (some from these boards) that often have great material for sale.

Have you read the stories on General.......people selling books that do not exist.....if it is under 20bucks...maybe

Don't buy from people you aren't familiar with. Just because some guy you never heard of might try to rip you off shouldn't keep you from buying something from Payette, Harley, Dale Roberts, filter81, etc...

I think someone bought a 9.2 (+/-) Captain America #1 on ebay a few years ago. I'd check out ebay just for the Sparkle City auctions alone.

Nice! I have been waiting for someone to start this thread!

I don't know exactly where I fall on this. Part of me loves the auction and the other part of me hates it. Let's start with the latter. This is my grail ... I realize that statement is far from exclusive to me, but with an Archie/MLJ collection that is 10,000+ issues strong, and a master list that not only adds to the total when I buy a book and fill a hole but also shows a countdown to overall completion, it is very frustrating for me to think that the countdown column will never get lower than '1'. I have been searching for this book since I started collecting Archie in 1984. I came across it a few times in the early years but it was always beyond my reach. I HATE to think I will never own a copy.

On the flip side, I love this auction. I love getting to see a universal copy that I have not seen before. I love day dreaming about adding it to my collection. I love knowing that there are people out there that are selling Pep 22's, and I love seeing a book that I believe to be so important with a serious asking price attached to it. If Action 1 and Tec 27 command it, why not Pep 22. In May of 2012 a Pep 22 (Universal 2.0) was sold on a live HA action. I remember watching it end and it bringing a pretty incredible price though cannot recall how much, but then a week or so later it was erased from the archive like it never happened, and marked "Not Sold". Not sure if the buyer got cold feet or what happened. Anyone?

Yes, I think this book is way overpriced, but I can't blame the guy for trying. I'd be sad if it he put it up and just said, "eh, if you look you'll find one cheaper than mine." The number of copies in existence being set by the number of slabbed copies is ridiculous, but if someone out there is dumb enough to confuse this guy's description for gospel then P.T. Barnum successfully called the ball on yet another minute of the day.

I'll wrap this up ... as much as I hope to own a copy of Pep 22 (as farfetched as that hope might be) I do want to see the value of my collection continue to climb so that someday ... on the off chance I'm not buried with it ... it will bring top dollar when it's sold. Clearly this auction will not bring 200k, but I would be curious to know what others would pay for the book as graded.

Finally, if anyone would like to give me 200k, or sell me their Pep 22 for a reasonable price (reasonable being based on what I can afford, and not on any realistic valuation of the book :roflmao:) you know where to message me!

E-bay ....i.e. the Garbage can....another hustler, showman, ......200K what a joke.......

Folks, if you want a laugh....go to ebay....

Considering that many of the forum members here sell on ebay you get that this is a slight towards us here?

Have you read the stories on General.......people selling books that do not exist.....if it is under 20bucks...maybe

And there was the guy who was bidding crazy huge amounts on books (and winning them) in an attempt to launder money...

no wait was that eBay?

I might be getting my sales sites confused...

We just had a forum member buy a key Batman comic book (det) and the kid's mom said he sent the money to russia… or poland…There real and good people on this board, there are more good sellers than bad…….but the now on E-bay and the lack of the site protecting the customers…just think of how many people…just write it off as a loss, and the surcharges and fees….makes it NOT what it used to be.

You buy on E-bay you take a chance- you buy from Gator, Ha, Metro….you don't.

We just had a forum member buy a key Batman comic book (det) and the kid's mom said he sent the money to russia… or poland…There real and good people on this board, there are more good sellers than bad…….but the now on E-bay and the lack of the site protecting the customers…just think of how many people…just write it off as a loss, and the surcharges and fees….makes it NOT what it used to be.

So you would think it was risky to buy a comic from G.A.tor if he was selling it on ebay?

So you would think it was risky to buy a comic from G.A.tor if he was selling it on ebay?

I don't sell on ebay lol