• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

am i overcharging on S&H or making money?

63 posts in this topic

Supa; you as honest as they come when it comes to shipping costs! Don't listen to this nuisance complainer -- it sound like araich has the right idea by BB'ing this insufficiently_thoughtful_person! One thing worth noting: I have to admit that I have noticed (especially as of late) that many guys selling tech stuff are really going wild with shipping charges. The last guy I bought from asked for US $24 to ship a spare adapter for my notebook. I have shipped an entire notebook to the US XpressPost from Canada for less! When I confronted him with the dilemma (keep also in mind that the adapter only cost US $10.50), he used a take it or leave it attitude. When I told him that I was going to keep an eye on the USPS stamped price on the parcel when I recieved the box, he got nervous, and was compelled to reduce his price to US $12!!! Now that's what I call making money off of shipping!! Even if your asking a few bucks to cover shipping, handling (which in most cases means envelopes, tape, bubble-wrap/styrofoam balls, and the time it takes to package), then so be it. The dumbest mistake a buyer can make is to -off a seller with "overcharging" accusations, because depending on how far they go, the seller might well decide to crack the CGC case over his knee before packing it up! Its my opinon that if bidders are as insolent (this guy crossed the line prudence) with their spending as this buyer seems to be, they really ought to make the effort to contact the seller beforehand, and inquire about shipping & handling charges.

BTW: nice book supa smile.gif

you really can't win. Even if you did ship it as cheap as possible(which neither you nor I would do) they would then complain about it taking too long and being damaged. And EVEN if your postage only cost you $4.50 - you still had to take the time to pack it and buy the packing materials - bubblewrap, box, tape. Buyers need to realize that that stuff costs money, too.

What a little punk.

im not playing that "handling" fee bulle, everything i need to use to pack up the goods are at the post office for free. USPS priority envelope to put book in....free, USPS literature for packing stuffing....free, USPS priority box to put book in after being wrapped in USPS envelope....free. i totally maximize my use of the USPS fees for sending books out. blush.gifshocked.giflaugh.gifgrin.gif

Here's my irritation from today:

Auction I just won

NOT listed anywhere in the auction shipping charges:

Buyer will pay actual shipping cost of $9.80. A $2.00 packaging fee will also be charged. I will accept personal checks but will hold item til check clears bank about 7 days.

My response:

What's with the hidden shipping and packaging charges, not listed in the listing? My zip is 20190. Priority mail for this item is $4.55, not $9.80.

From USPS.gov

Itemized Service Summary

Service Rate & Fees

Priority Mail $4.55

Total Cost: $4.55

Notes

• Estimated shipping time from SIGNAL MOUNTAIN, TN 37377 to RESTON, VA 20190 (Zone 4) is 2 Day(s)

• Mark the package "Priority Mail" in the postage area.

I'll pay $6.55 for shipping (actual cost plus your $2 handling fee) I will not pay the extra $5.45.

----

grrrrrrrrr! mad.gif

dan,

you just got the no reach around action, did you see this before bidding?

Payment Instructions

Buyer will pay actual shipping cost. A $2.00 packaging fee will also be charged.

it's sellers like this that give me a bad name, what a crook.

sorry bro,

pimpy

Then why is shipping 6.00 for priority when you can get a flat rate priority envelope and mail it for 3.85?

I suggest you study what this guy likes to buy and offer it. Make sure it is unslabbed too! If he wins, just stick it flat rate priority envelope - no mylar - no backing board, and mail it!

BTW, this is all irrelevant, the guy who sent the email is now blocked from bidding on any or my future auctions. well rick blocked him too, and i don't know who else might've since reading this thread. i personally would never do anything malicious even if the buyer did not want to pay for insurance and delivery confirmation. if he/she doesn't get it, it's not my fault. wink.gif but after listing fees, paypal fees, and S&H fee's that come out of my own pocket, my S&H fees will go up, unless the buyer emails me accordingly that he's a cheap MF'er and is willing to take his chances with snail mail. blush.gifshocked.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

well rick blocked him too, and i don't know who else might've since reading this thread. i personally would never do anything malicious even if the buyer did not want to pay for insurance and delivery confirmation

Well count me in on the blocking. I am planning on selling a number of comics on ebay as soon as I get a new scanner. Granted, these are nice GA (I still prefer Atom Age) books so your pesky pest probably won't be interested - but it is the thought that counts!

POV,

this loser is a jackarse! checkout his comment again:

why is shipping 6.00 for priority when you can get a flat rate priority envelope and mail it for 3.85?

the dumb jackarse should know that a slabbed book won't fit into a flat rate USPS envelope. did somebody not get his nookie last night?.....pooh hoo blush.gifshocked.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

p-daddy

dude! can't you read? i had an email today from a eBay member stating that he was going to bid on one of my auctions, but after seeing the cost for S&H, he was put off and said that i am trying to make money off of S&H. the link listed is an example of me sending this winner his book last friday and it costed me $8.40. i only charged $6 for that auction, so the extra $2.40 to send his book out was out of my own pocket. got it? mad.gif

I'd like to mention that anyone sending US PRIORITY can get the cartons, tape, labels for FREE. All they have to do is request a form at the post office and they will send you all the PRIORITY stuff right to your house for FREE.

As far as shipping CGC books PRIORITY, the most its ever cost me is $4.85. Thats using the larger Priority box.(I don't have the box number in front of me at the monent.) I'm really surprised more folks don't use this service. It saves a lot of money for both seller and buyer. Even the postal money orders are nice because you can go right to the post office with them when your sending off a package to someone. Postal money orders are as good as cash.

I've been using the PRIORITY service for years and have never had a complaint. If your sending. Pack very well so the books can't be bent. Use some cardboard in with the package when sending unslabbed books. The Priority envelopes will hold a comic between cardboard just fine. Only costs to send unslabbed books $3.85.

I hope this info sheds some light.