• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 8: Parting Ways

6 posts in this topic

Sometimes good books have to go.Due to some of the recent journals documenting other's situations and the decisions to sell or not, I thought about a book of mine that I recently parted with. I was not really in a tight spot but I had decided to plan ahead and sell a few items to give myself a protective cushioning. One such book I parted with was a copy of Action Comics #65 (Oct. 1943). This copy graded at a modest but presentable 5.0, it also still had white pages. This was my first and only Golden Age piece to date. I picked this up on the last day of a show (Wizard World, Chicago, 2011), this was one of the first books I saw and made a mental note to check back. As the con progressed, I found a few items here and there but I had yet to make a major purchase. With the last day of the show progressing into mid day, I went back to take a look at the Action #65. I was impressed with the white page designation and the perfect cover centering, both qualities that are hard to find in Golden Age comics. The guy at the both saw me put the book back and approached me, he asked if I wanted to make a deal. We worked out a price and I was on my way with my first ever Golden Age comic.As time went on and more books came my way, I would go back to the Action #65. I enjoyed the piece but always thought how it didn't really fit with the rest of my slabs. Earlier this year I found my holy grail in Action Comics #443, a 100 pager in 9.8 grade. At the time, I started thinking about pulling some books to sell to make up for this purchase. Purchasing the 100 pager did not place me in a predicament so to say, but it was a big purchase and I thought it might be good to play it safe. I let this ferment in the back of mind for a few months. As this was happening, I also thought about my washer and dryer I purchased with 18 month same as cash. This was not debilitating dept by any means but the interest free period was was about to come to an end. With this and the 100 pager, I decided it was best to sell the Action #65.Maybe I will kick myself several years from now for doing this. The price realized was greater than what I paid at the con. I can also say I took my time with this decision, and that it paid off my appliances. I did enjoy the Golden Age piece but it was not a piece that made me smile when I would look at it, it felt more like a side item. I think I mostly purchased it for the sake of leaving the show with something. I decided to write about this so I could look back on this years from now, to remind myself of this experience. I would love to have more Golden Age books but I have to consider my main focus, it is simply not my time yet to collect the types of books. I respected the the history of the piece and took care of it while it was in my possession, I hope it went to a good home. Thanks for reading.Brandon 14632.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

I applaud your collecting discipline! I think you said it all when you said:

it was not a piece that made me smile when I would look at it, it felt more like a side item.

You had a great book, you owned it for a while and passed it on to someone else who will hopefully be thrilled to have it, and made a profit while doing it.

I have several books that fall into the category of books that don't thrill me, and I agree that they should go, but I just haven't brougt myself to that point yet. Expect my first sales thread in the next few weeks...

Dear Brandon,

Isn't it ironic that you decided to sell that book because you are debt and spending conscious, yet it appears Superman has some kind of "Spend Money Like Water" issue?

She does look quite nice for a 5.0.

SW3D

Dear Brandon,

Isn't it ironic that you decided to sell that book because you are debt and spending conscious, yet it appears Superman has some kind of "Spend Money Like Water" issue?

She does look quite nice for a 5.0.

SW3D

Check out this summary from comicvine.com!

"Superman: Rich rogue Truman Treadwell is on his deathbed and trying to decide what to do with his $3 million fortune. Treadwell has two sons: Brandon, a rogue himself with links to organized crime, and Roger, a doctor doing research into children's diseases. Roger wants the inheritance so he can use it all in his research, so Treadwell proposes that Roger can have $2 million provided he can spend the other million within 24 hours. The condition is that he can spend no more than $1000 in any single purchase. If Roger should fail to spend the entire million, the inheritance goes to Brandon instead."

http://www.comicvine.com/action-comics-65-the-million-dollar-marathon/4000-113622/

Sounds like that Brandon is a bad dude!

Oh Dude, that is so classic! You should have kept it! That story reminds me of the movie Brewster's Millions with Richard Pryor and John Candy. But how does Supes play a part?

Maybe sometime in the near future you might obtain a nicer copy.

Oh... and you are "Bad Dude!" :)

SW3D