• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYX #3 9.8? Help with an issue.

16 posts in this topic

I bought a NYX #3 and i had a few questions.

does the CGC have a softer grading system for older comics -- and a harder grading system for newer ones? what would downgrade a comic to a 9.8?

i bought this comic off of ebay and he was advertising it as mint. however, i found two issues and if it would downgrade this comic by more than .4 to a 9.6, i thought i'd return it.

there's a slight chipping on the bottom left and a page curl on the bottom right that's barely noticeable and doesn't break color.

thanks in advance. i'm a noob.

589a8d517487d_621479-NYX3.jpg.11dce9603bc704936e737c8137ff5332.jpg

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

A 9.8 book has no perceptable flaws, and no book that you buy on eBay advertised as "Mint" will be anywhere near mint sumo.gif

(Unless of course, I was the seller! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif)

I'd return the lesser copy.

If you are really looking for a 9.8 of a current comic, your best bet would to be to buy a CGC 9.8 off Ebay.

Rather than risk buying a raw mint copy and submitting it yourself and possibly getting a lower grade. The grading fee plus shipping of a raw copy will run you about $20-25.

If you are really looking for a 9.8 of a current comic, your best bet would to be to buy a CGC 9.8 off Ebay.

Rather than risk buying a raw mint copy and submitting it yourself and possibly getting a lower grade. The grading fee plus shipping of a raw copy will run you about $20-25.

As usual, sound advice! sumo.gif

hi.gif

In this case finding a raw copy might be the way to go. 9.8s are going for upwards of $200+ on eBay right now.

Normally, yeah, just hit one of the big modern submitters: colossus, allcomixs, etc.

Downgrade a comic to 9.8? 9.8's are about the best you're ever going to do. A 9.9+ is like a gift from the gods.

Sounds like you need to lower your expectations a bit when buying raw. The chip on the lower left is probably just a bindary issue and would most likely not knock the book out of 9.8. If the bottom right corner curl doesnt break color, try flattening it with something heavy or bending it back a little.

I think that's a pretty nice copy for an ebay raw purchase.

i'd love for this book to be a 9.8, but i was wondering what kinds of criteria the cgc used to grade books. what would bring a book down to 9.8 or 9.6? i ordered some 9.8 cgc books and i was surprised to see that these books were getting higher grades than i would assume. maybe i'm just grading too hard? i don't know. i guess it helps to get a second opinion.

Grading is like golf. It is sensory. You know when you had a great swing. You know it instantly when you are holding a 9.8. Something magic about the book as you hold it in your hands. No doubts. Those of us who have been around comics for a while know this feeling. I have not missed on a 9.8 yet when sending it to CGC. Been lucky there. 9.8's are the supermodels.

A 9.6 is a 9.8 but you have that sensory doubt in your mind.If there is any doubt in your mind it is a 9.6 don't rationalize it up to a 9.8. These are the beauty queens What is tough is the 9.0 to 9.2. Very fuzzy area with no pun intended

9.4's are the girl next door. We have all seen those in our life. Take this pointers and you won't be off on your grading.

Grading is like golf. It is sensory. You know when you had a great swing. You know it instantly when you are holding a 9.8. Something magic about the book as you hold it in your hands. No doubts. Those of us who have been around comics for a while know this feeling. I have not missed on a 9.8 yet when sending it to CGC. Been lucky there. 9.8's are the supermodels.

A 9.6 is a 9.8 but you have that sensory doubt in your mind.If there is any doubt in your mind it is a 9.6 don't rationalize it up to a 9.8. These are the beauty queens What is tough is the 9.0 to 9.2. Very fuzzy area with no pun intended

9.4's are the girl next door. We have all seen those in our life. Take this pointers and you won't be off on your grading.

Are you talkin' to ME! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

This is the biggest bunch of %^$U I have ever read popcorn.gif

Of course I am talking to you baby. Come on I am just having some fun. Some people are sensory and can relate to what I am talking about. You must be an accountant who collects comics and folds his clothes before sexxxx.

Of course I am talking to you baby. Come on I am just having some fun. Some people are sensory and can relate to what I am talking about. You must be an accountant who collects comics and folds his clothes before sexxxx.

Have all the fun you want Jack, you obviously don't know me or anything about me. Oh, and btw, foooooooooook you devil.gifflamed.gif

I know enough by your bio that you dropped out of the 3rd grade and appear to be a real nerd who needs to get laaiiiiid.. Alright enough fun I am going ot bed. It is 2 pm in my hotel room.

Wow!

Total Posts 386

Occupation Financial Advisor, CFO, CPA

Hobbies Guitars, comics,

Location Jedi Knight from Colorado

Bio Bronze Age Expert.

Collecting Specialty 1 Bronze

Collecting Specialty 2 Silver

Most Wanted Collectible HOS 92 9.8

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif