• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coverless Mega Keys

36 posts in this topic

I'd love an opp to buy a complete cover less mega key

What keys would you consider worth buying in complete, coverless form?

The usual suspects. Action 1, Tec 27, bat 1, supes 1, as8, cap1, marvel 1

I'd love an opp to buy a complete cover less mega key

What keys would you consider worth buying in complete, coverless form?

The usual suspects. Action 1, Tec 27, bat 1, supes 1, as8, cap1, marvel 1

all of those books are :cloud9:

Looking to get some opinions on the long term investment outlook for

mega key coverless golden age books.

A bright outlook imho: not least in the light of the massive (tragic) disassembling going on. With certain auction houses supporting this butchery by moving entire series of slapped wraps ... :(

I have to wonder, if the books being disassembled were missing wraps. It's hard to believe someone would do this to a complete, coverless copy.

well if a buck can be made ... (shrug) thats how the world is.

:cry:

it really makes me feel sick.should be a crime

OK here is a question, say I have a nice coverless GA book and now I have the another copy missing interior pages but otherwise VG. What should I expect the value to be for a married qualified book. Lets say in VG it goes for 5K. I'm thinking maybe 66-75%?

I think the bigger the key the lower the %. At the 5K level, while a key its not a mega key. Say its a WDCS 1 where a graded unrestored VG goes for ~$5000. An ungraded probably $4000. So an ungraded VG married would probably sell for $2000. At $50,000 like a Cap 1 the married might sell for $15K or so.

Ed

I remember when I was collecting as a kid back in the late 70s, my mom was a high school teacher and she told her students that I collected comics. One of them gave me a coverless X-Men #1. I told him thank-you. But when he left, I threw it in the trashcan b/c I thought, well, no cover, it is worthless. :tonofbricks:

At Maple Con in 1988,I waited in line for the chance to sit and read a copy of Action 1,coverless.

It was amazing,I will never forget it.

Which was amazing? The waiting in line for the chance or the reading of the copy of the coverless Action #1? ;)

I would rather have just the cover of a major key. It would be safe to frame and display. I have long wondered who won the two early Action Comics cover proofs auctioned by Sotheby long ago (Dentist?), because even though they aren't Superman covers they'd look wonderful on the wall. I liked them better than the Action 1 color guide because they were actually printed, but the color guide is obviously ultra awesome (anyone know who has that -- dentist?).

Didn't someone one post a photo of a printer looking at a sheet of uncut covers of a GA comic, Superman I think? The dream would be one of those sheets for Superman No. 1.

At Maple Con in 1988,I waited in line for the chance to sit and read a copy of Action 1,coverless.

Which was amazing? The waiting in line for the chance or the reading of the copy of the coverless Action #1? ;)

Both.I was eleven years old and one of the youngest there.Got to talk to guys in line and make friends as well.I will never forget either.But reading the comic was better than waiting,it was just so so so awesome.Met Harley that day as well.

Looking to get some opinions on the long term investment outlook for

mega key coverless golden age books.

A bright outlook imho: not least in the light of the massive (tragic) disassembling going on. With certain auction houses supporting this butchery by moving entire series of slapped wraps ... :(

It is a new wrinkle among the oxymoronc views toward resto. Coverless keys can now be worth far more if they are willfully dismembered -- because purposely cutting a book apart is not viewed as sinful as purposely trying to improve it.

To disassemble a coverless GA keybook is unethical imho. But alas, as keybooks spike this creates a crowd of takers who are glad to acquire a wrap. An so prices for these go up. and ...

"Unfortunate" yes. But a thing can't be dubbed "unethical" unless it wrongs some living entity. A comic book itself has no rights.

Not that your view is uncommon. It''s the reason that "restored" books are condemned even when the work is disclosed, and even if the work doesn't actually improve the book. Some just hate hate hate the idea that somebody touched a book in a way they don't approve. Books cut into pieces should fall into that category but they don't because the phenom occurred after the CGC policies were established. If the practice had preceded it, and the same principle of judging intent were applied, you might see individual pages that split apart naturally getting blue labels while books that were cut purposely getting purple labels.

I joke about that attitude, but only halfway, because I suffer somewhat the same attitrude. I have contemplated selling off individual wraps and pages, but have so far been unable even to consider doing it with any books (incomplete or not) if it means separating them from the rest of the book. But when I've had (or seen) a book that was cut apart many years by someone else, somehow it seems "better" to do that.

But a thing can't be dubbed "unethical" unless it wrongs some living entity. A comic book itself has no rights.

Remember a few years ago when a tourist in Rome, in a fit of sudden insanity pulled out a massive hammer an transgressed all Vatican perimeters an jumped on a fameous Michelangelo marble-figure and attacked it in the Peters Church in Italy? Huge pieces was smashed off this irreplaceable artwork before this lunatic was tackled by security.

Between this act and then the act of disassembling for instance the remnants of a coverless beater Bat1 is about a difference in grade. Qualitatively these two acts are of the same kind imho.

EDIT: I am NOT referring to italy (Las Vegas) but italy (Europe)!

I am a fan of coverless mega keys and think the prices for them are stronger than you think...provided the book itself isn't totally trashed. A messed up loose paged coverless tec 31 sold for over 3 k ( as did a coverless tec 29) if I remember correctly at a comiclink auction and a complete with centerfold superman 1 I am convinced would sell for 10 k or more.

6 weeks ago Sparkle city sold a coverless Superman 1 that was trimmed on 3 sides AND missing the last page for $6778

When I saw that auction I knew that complete coverless Superman 1s would most likely never sell for under $10,000 again.

Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350874521656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Both.I was eleven years old and one of the youngest there.Got to talk to guys in line and make friends as well.I will never forget either.But reading the comic was better than waiting,it was just so so so awesome.Met Harley that day as well.

:cloud9: Great story. :)

But a thing can't be dubbed "unethical" unless it wrongs some living entity. A comic book itself has no rights.

Remember a few years ago when a tourist in Rome, in a fit of sudden insanity pulled out a massive hammer an transgressed all Vatican perimeters an jumped on a fameous Michelangelo marble-figure and attacked it in the Peters Church in Italy? Huge pieces was smashed off this irreplaceable artwork before this lunatic was tackled by security.

Between this act and then the act of disassembling for instance the remnants of a coverless beater Bat1 is about a difference in grade. Qualitatively these two acts are of the same kind imho.

EDIT: I am NOT referring to italy (Las Vegas) but italy (Europe)!

For those interested, Steve Ditko wrote/illustratet a long piece about that fact in one of his recent anthologies, wandering endlessly in philosophical short-circuits. :ohnoez: