• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 10: Brian Bolland and Wonder Woman

6 posts in this topic

A third of the way done with 30 in 30.

On the tenth day of the 30 journals in 30 days challenge, I turn my attention to a set of issues I have thought about collecting from time to time. On Day 1 of this journal series I wrote about my many checklists, on Day 7 I wrote about Knightfall covers from Batman and the temptation to build a set. Another such set which peaks my wonder is Wonder Woman, specifically the run of covers by fan favorite, artist Brian Bolland. I have only thought about this run and the Knightfall covers briefly, I have not composed an actual checklist for these covers, the desire for collecting these issues only comes about every once in a while for me. They are tiny embers that briefly ignite into bright orange flames but quickly burn out, basically these sets involve an occasional eBay search by myself or a cover gallery search online, nothing else.

Brain Bolland is credited for starting the 'British Invasion' of comics in early 1980s for his work on the DC Comics maxiseries Camelot 3000 (I must check this one out). Bolland is also known for his work on Judge Dredd, I personally think of Batman: The Killing Joke and his various Batman covers when I see his name. As for how best to describe his style, I'm scratching my head, wondering where SW3D is when I need him! I see so many of Bolland's covers (and some interior artwork) in my head, the first thing I think of are the colors, how can I describe this style? Perhaps input from others in the chat boards thread will help me with some descriptions?

On to the Wonder Woman (Volume 2) covers and why I like them! Bolland's run of Wonder Woman covers ran from 1992 to 1994. Beginning with Wonder Woman #63 (June 1992) and running almost uninterrupted to #100 (July 1995) (the cover for #93 was done by Mike Deodato, Jr.), Bolland composed 38 covers for Wonder Woman (Volume 2) including Wonder Woman #0 (Oct. 1994), released between WW #90 and #91 during DC's Zero Hour crossover event. This run is all over the place in terms of cover themes. Some are humorous, like cover #73, showing our heroin as a fast food worker. Cover #67 shows Wonder Woman chained and bruised, making me feel sorry, sorry for whoever put her in that position because she will more than likely set them straight. Cover #89 shows a burnt, corpse like Wonder Woman, I want to know what this one is all about. Cover #76 shows a golden Wonder Woman and the effects of touching her, yikes!

Viewing these covers in sequence, Bolland shows us a character who is strong, humorous, and occasionally has her hands full. Some of these covers remind me of the DC silver age, cover #77 for example shows Wonder Woman fighting off giant ant-like creatures! There is also a run-in with the Joker in #96-7 and it don't look pretty. So far my favorite cover is #78, showing Wonder Woman in a target site, with Flash in the background looking shocked, and a teasing headline: "Wanted Dead...!" There are many other great covers by many talented artist, but it's the run from Bolland and his unique style that catch my eye, time to hit up eBay!

Brandon

14649.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

I love Bolland covers, I even have a Bolland pencil prelim of a WW cover hung on my wall. But if I was going to chase down a set, it would either be his Batman, legends of the dark knight or Zatanna work.

I love WW, but I love the Bat covers a little more.

Lee

I would describe Brian Bolland's "wondrous" art as smooth, clean, and fluid. His lines are sharp, thin and clean (there's no sketchy or jagged quality to it), and he cleverly mixes the linear and circular in the right proportions... for the anatomical structures of his characters are never exaggerated. In my opinion, Bolland must have been influenced by the classic comic strip artists of days yore like Hal Foster and Al Williamson, but where Foster and Williamson's art are a bit hard-lined and neo-classical, Bolland's embues a cartoony sense of humor and irony, with an added dose of warmth, color and whimsy... it's a skin uniquely all his own... probably British sensibilities. Look into his Animal-Man covers or any of his 2000AD work and you will see what I mean.

Bolland is one of my favorite artists! His WW covers are just a treat! And thanks for reminding me of Camelot 3000... I am going to dig that one out for some reading.

Thanks for sharing!

SW3D

I love Bolland covers, I even have a Bolland pencil prelim of a WW cover hung on my wall. But if I was going to chase down a set, it would either be his Batman, legends of the dark knight or Zatanna work.

I love WW, but I love the Bat covers a little more.

Lee

Lee,

I hear you on the Batman covers, I have several of his covers from Batman: Gotham Knights. I would love to see the WW cover on your wall that you speak of.

Brandon

I would describe Brian Bolland's "wondrous" art as smooth, clean, and fluid. His lines are sharp, thin and clean (there's no sketchy or jagged quality to it), and he cleverly mixes the linear and circular in the right proportions... for the anatomical structures of his characters are never exaggerated. In my opinion, Bolland must have been influenced by the classic comic strip artists of days yore like Hal Foster and Al Williamson, but where Foster and Williamson's art are a bit hard-lined and neo-classical, Bolland's embues a cartoony sense of humor and irony, with an added dose of warmth, color and whimsy... it's a skin uniquely all his own... probably British sensibilities. Look into his Animal-Man covers or any of his 2000AD work and you will see what I mean.

Bolland is one of my favorite artists! His WW covers are just a treat! And thanks for reminding me of Camelot 3000... I am going to dig that one out for some reading.

Thanks for sharing!

SW3D

Dear SW3D,

Thank you for this description, this is exactly what I needed - ask for help and you shall receive!

It looks and sounds like Camelot 3000 is worth a read!

Brandon