• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autographed book

14 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Avengers #4 that is signed to me personally, by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I also still have the mailing envelope that was used by Marvel to mail it to me. In the mid 1960's a friend and I stopped by their old office on Madison Ave in NYC. We each had our fav book. Mine was Avengers #4. Stand and Jack were busy working but said if we left them they would autograph them and mail them to us, which they did. I am wondering if the "value" of comic is lessened when it is autographed to a person and not just autographed by the author/artist.

Thanks

I love these kinds of stories from the '60s, well before I was born.

I think it's worth more to you than it could ever be worth to anyone else. To me the value in autographs comes from the story behind it, and the memory of meeting the person. This is why I'm not very interested in buying already autographed books, but I don't mind getting something signed myself.

I met Stan once in '94, and I still have most of the books he signed for me. To everyone else they're just books with his signature, but to me, I have a story and a memory.

I have a copy of Avengers #4 that is signed to me personally, by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I also still have the mailing envelope that was used by Marvel to mail it to me. In the mid 1960's a friend and I stopped by their old office on Madison Ave in NYC. We each had our fav book. Mine was Avengers #4. Stand and Jack were busy working but said if we left them they would autograph them and mail them to us, which they did. I am wondering if the "value" of comic is lessened when it is autographed to a person and not just autographed by the author/artist.

Thanks

Welcome to the boards.

I like the back story to this Avengers 4 and with the dual signatures and mailing envelope it's hard to say about value relative to other signed copies.

IN GENERAL, collectors have always shown a preference for plain signatures, not something inscribed to an individual. But this is "in general" and your book is unique. I would think that the dual signatures of Jack and Stan along with an envelope establishing providence would command a premium among the signature collecting crowd.

And NEVER throw that envelope away. It adds to the story and it adds to the value.

I wonder if Stan or Jack addressed it to you or if some secretary addressed it. Or is your address typed onto it?

It is handwritten to me. No idea who addressed the mailing envelope. I would guess it was a secretary.

Be honest, you went there to meet Flo Steinberg. The sigs were just a bonus. :)

But seriously, that's awesome. Hope you've got them in a nice anti-glare dual-frame type setup on the wall. Never sell them!

I am ashamed to say I just have the book and mailing envelope saved in a heavy duty mylar bag. I guess I should research a better way to save and display them together. Any product suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I hate to be a downer, but there is a strong chance your book was signed by Flo Steinberg.

While Marvel gave the illusion of its artists working in their office, most worked from home. Kirby rarely ventured into the office, working full time from his house. Ms Steinberg signed many a Kirby autograph.

Its a great story, and the envelope adds much to the books value.