• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon - Anaheim 2014 (4/18-4/20)

53 posts in this topic

what'd ya get ? something cool I bet :popcorn:

--A Feature Comics with white pages and an early Lou Fine Dollman story from Superworld. Ted was super easy to deal with, and gave me a hefty discount.

--A nice early Thor Journey into Mystery from A-1 Comics. Brian had the book strictly (under?) graded and priced very fairly, plus he gave me 10% off too. Great deal on a great book.

--A sweet .10C DC war comic (Our Army at War) from Brad at F/VF. The book looked beautiful but had a light moisture ripple on the back cover so he slashed the price. Very happy with it.

More today hopefully. :wishluck:

Which issue of Journey Into Mystery?? :baiting:

This show was more relaxed than San Diego; and reminded me of that show in the early nineties. We walked out for lunch and avoided the long lines at the trucks for a nice sit down at the Marriott. Then back into the show to peruse comics.

The vibe today was very heavy on costumes and there were quite a few great ones. This show is certainly growing and catching on with a local fan base. In five years it may get too big but Ill enjoy it until then.

It cold use some more comic dealers but there was a much better mix of large and smaller dealers than at San Diego. There is also more variety of pulps, magazines, old toys and sundries than you will see in San Diego. I hope that remains the same.

I picked up a Pogo #1 which I am happy about. I wasn't even intending to buy today but it was too sweet to pass up.

JIM 87 - been looking for a nice copy for a while now.

Still no luck with JIM 84 - every copy I saw was VG or worse, these book seems common in lower grade.

I picked up a Pogo #1 which I am happy about. I wasn't even intending to buy today but it was too sweet to pass up.

From the "Paul" collection - nice pickup.

Good to chat with you at the show... ah retirement. ;)

JIM 87 - been looking for a nice copy for a while now.

Still no luck with JIM 84 - every copy I saw was VG or worse, these book seems common in lower grade.

:applause: on the JIM 87! One of my favorites!

From the "Paul" collection - nice pickup.

Good to chat with you at the show... ah retirement. ;)

The "Paul" collection was fun to look at. I didn't see Paul's name on my Pogo but maybe it is buried somewhere. He had no problem emblazoning every other book with his moniker!

Retirement for me is still seven to eleven years away; seems so long but the time moves so quick!

I bought three books at the show: One Low grade, One mid-grade and one HG.

Low Grade: Underworld Crime 7, the infamous "shoving the red-hot poker in the lady's face" cover.

Mid-Grade: Pictorial Romances 5--Very cool Matt Baker Book.

HG--Sugar & Spike 5 from 1957

All books raw. All real nice books at fair prices.

Saw a few others but that's all I could afford.

Nice show. Had fun!

Amazing how high the books were at the show...plenty of comic dealers but prices too high in my opinion...Omega Man 3 for $80??? Shouldn't be that high just yet......$60 for a Fine copy of First Gambit?? $400 for Spiderman 300 NM Raw....dealers should price a little better to move books...I didn't see too many people buying.

agree prices way too high. no way im buying OA at shows. lesson learn many years ago in SDCC OA piece price at 1.5k months later, piece auction at HA I won the OA at $340 lol. :banana:

Low Grade: Underworld Crime 7, the infamous "shoving the red-hot poker in the lady's face" cover.

Nice show. Had fun!

Post the Sugar & Spike Steve, those are great.

Nice show. Had fun!

Post the Sugar & Spike Steve, those are great.

I saw that S&S (if the same book) at Harley's booth - it was a beauty!

Yes, Steve, I bought it from Harley. He did come down considerably in price for a book you very rarely see in that grade. Obviously, targeted for kids, I imagine, there are very few that have remained in HG or even in Mid-grade.

Yes, Steve, I bought it from Harley. He did come down considerably in price for a book you very rarely see in that grade. Obviously, targeted for kids, I imagine, there are very few that have remained in HG or even in Mid-grade.

:applause: