• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade an Uncle Scrooge 16

12 posts in this topic

Here's one I picked up recently.

All the defects are self-evident; nothing hidden in the way of interior problems or non color-breaking creases - the few such creases on the front cover extending from the spine are pretty minimal (the look worse in scan) and could easily be pressed out ( devil.gif).

Small color fleck about 2.5" up the spine

Slight abrasion along top edge, just right of the Dell logo

Crease at top edge extending down toward "W" is again a modest one - scan looks much worse

Interior is nice, C/OW pages, tight staples

621908-US%2316-frontcover.jpg

589a8d53b6c29_621908-US16-frontcover.jpg.11557f47631e333aaac1c8cf214c9cf7.jpg

Nice book, Garth. I'd say it's about a 7.5 to 8.0 or so (leaning toward the 8.0, but I'd have to see the back cover first), going by what you say about the visible creasing.

Here's one I picked up recently.

All the defects are self-evident; nothing hidden in the way of interior problems or non color-breaking creases - the few such creases on the front cover extending from the spine are pretty minimal (the look worse in scan) and could easily be pressed out ( devil.gif).

Small color fleck about 2.5" up the spine

Slight abrasion along top edge, just right of the Dell logo

Crease at top edge extending down toward "W" is again a modest one - scan looks much worse

Interior is nice, C/OW pages, tight staples

621908-US%2316-frontcover.jpg

Waaay too much creasing for an 8.0, any way you shake it. sumo.gif And btw, NONE of those wil press out - even if big bertha sat on this book for another 50 years 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Nice corners, nice colors - I'd go 7.5 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Really? You don't think those NCB (let there be new acronyms, for everyone!) creases that extend mostly from the color-breaking creases on the front could be pressed out? I've seen a number of pressing examples - that resulted in sizable grade jumps from CGC - that seemed to primarily address just this sort of thing?

Not jockeying for better "appraisals" from you guys, just wondering - exactly what kinds of creases and bends will pressing "fix" and what kinds won't be helped?

Really? You don't think those NCB (let there be new acronyms, for everyone!) creases that extend mostly from the color-breaking creases on the front could be pressed out? I've seen a number of pressing examples - that resulted in sizable grade jumps from CGC - that seemed to primarily address just this sort of thing?

Not jockeying for better "appraisals" from you guys, just wondering - exactly what kinds of creases and bends will pressing "fix" and what kinds won't be helped?

Some of the paper warping around the spine stresses could be pressed out, but there would still be color loss around the spine where the stress marks are.

Thanks for all the votes of confidence... I had it down as a FN+ in my dbase, but I think most people on these boards give the grade they think CGC would award a book..? And CGC is a bit more forgiving on the 50+ year old books, so I think 7.0 or even 7.5 is not out of the realm of possibility on this one.