• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this boardie THB's auction? Possible scan stolen from PGM section?

43 posts in this topic

What really riles my feathers (no gears to grind lol) is that he is, by association, implicating us in this scam. He repeatedly says "we say this book..." and gives it the grade pronounced by the PGM thread. Wong, he profits on it like this Step 1) Open paypal account not linked to credit card/bank account. Step 2) "Sell" comic Step 3) Send invoice to scammed person. Step 4) Receive funds and put in a withdraw request. Step 5) Ship out comic that isn't the one in the picture Step 6) Buyer receives comic, puts in paypal challenge because it isn't right book either a) wins but gets nothing back because the account is cleaned out and they can't touch his other assets or b) loses because tracking number shows that a package was received. Step 7) Buyer attempts to file negative feedback but ebay dismisses it because it is almost impossible to file negative feedback if the package was received. Step 8) Repeat!

What really riles my feathers (no gears to grind lol) is that he is, by association, implicating us in this scam. He repeatedly says "we say this book..." and gives it the grade pronounced by the PGM thread. Wong, he profits on it like this Step 1) Open paypal account not linked to credit card/bank account. Step 2) "Sell" comic Step 3) Send invoice to scammed person. Step 4) Receive funds and put in a withdraw request. Step 5) Ship out comic that isn't the one in the picture Step 6) Buyer receives comic, puts in paypal challenge because it isn't right book either a) wins but gets nothing back because the account is cleaned out and they can't touch his other assets or b) loses because tracking number shows that a package was received. Step 7) Buyer attempts to file negative feedback but ebay dismisses it because it is almost impossible to file negative feedback if the package was received. Step 8) Repeat!

Wow! That's some serious scam job. Hope this gets stopped immediately. And yes watermarking the scans sounds like a brilliant idea. :idea:

The only problem I see with watermarking scans is that it defeats the purpose of the PGM thread, how can someone tell if the mark is a defect or part of the watermark? Same with sales threads as well.

I've reported the two newest books listed.

Above 1-5 are spot on, but but information above isn't quite right starting with #6:

6)Buyer Protection does not depend on eBay/paypal recovering any funds from the seller. eBay will of course try to recover funds from the seller, but they refund the buyer regardless. Nor does an "item not as described" claim hinge on proof of delivery.

7) It's not hard at all for buyers to file negative feedback. Probably too easy. More the challenge is if you are a seller getting negative feedback removed when it is undeserved.

8) Repeat - perhaps. But we are seeing more and more scams that follow this profile. Feedback score around 30-50, including some successful sales of decent quality ($100-$500) comics. Then post up some big ticket books, cash out - and disappear. The repeat is most likely under a new eBay account.

The only problem I see with watermarking scans is that it defeats the purpose of the PGM thread, how can someone tell if the mark is a defect or part of the watermark? Same with sales threads as well.

Easy enough to get around - have two pics, one with a watermark in the middle, then another at a slightly different angle (so no one can marry the two pics) with two watermarks down the sides. Nothing is fully covered between the two pics, and you feel safe.

-slym

Well the 6) was based on the side for the scammer (not the scammee) because it shows that he/she doesn't lose the funds. Should have said it better. Paypal has been tough on some people when it comes to item not as described. If I describe it as a Fine and send you a G+ but its the same book, paypal probably isn't going to reimburse you. If I say it is a AF 15 and send you a Superior Spider-man 21... then Paypal is probably going to reimburse you.

Ok, this maybe a stupid question then.

Whats there to stop me , me buying a comic on ebay for $2000 when it arrives l tell paypal that the comic l just received is the wrong one and its only worth $30

What is paypal most likely to do ?

Regards,

Wong

Well the 6) was based on the side for the scammer (not the scammee) because it shows that he/she doesn't lose the funds. Should have said it better. Paypal has been tough on some people when it comes to item not as described. If I describe it as a Fine and send you a G+ but its the same book, paypal probably isn't going to reimburse you. If I say it is a AF 15 and send you a Superior Spider-man 21... then Paypal is probably going to reimburse you.

Yeah - essentially in most cases it is eventually eBay/Paypal that is getting scammed. I have a concern on big ticket items though. If you read eBay's Buyer protection rules and Paypal's payment rules, once a sold item crosses 10K I'm not sure buyers are protected. Because one of the things you have to do to qualify for eBay protection is pay in one payment. But Paypal limits transactions to 10K. So if you buy an AF 15 for 21K and pay with Paypal, you are going to have three transactions. You can't send a check or MO or wire the money in one payment as those aren't approved payment services.

I suspect eBay has done the math and it's cheaper to tolerate a certain amount of fraud, recovering what they can. rather than hire more people to investigate listings.

Whats there to stop me , me buying a comic on ebay for $2000 when it arrives l tell paypal that the comic l just received is the wrong one and its only worth $30

Regards,

Wong

Say, "Welcome to eBay!"

-slym

Regards,

Wong

Hopefully, you are just the curious type :gossip: and not thinking about how to get rich quick :idea:

While this thread is about a rogue seller and rogue sellers in general, the opposite happens all to often as well. Buyers lie and file Buyer Protection claims swearing they received the wrong book or the box only had cardboard and packing materials, no book. Or they pay through Paypal funding the purchase with their credit card and then report to the card issuer that the charge was unauthorized.

Bob Storms here on the boards had a "empty box" claim some months back that he posted up here. I don't remember how it all worked out in the end but a few weeks into it he was missing both his book and his money and was appealing Paypal's decision.

To TRY to protect oneself, sellers should always 1) Insure the package 2) Require a signature 3) Ship only to Paypal confirmed addresses.

It's not nice out there...

Tony, just curious though, how does insuring, requiring a signature, and shipping only to confirmed addresses prevent an "empty box" claim? I can't file a complaint against the USPS because the book arrived, and that is verified by the signature. I mean it will be the best form of protection but you can still get scammed by a buyer right?

Tony, just curious though, how does insuring, requiring a signature, and shipping only to confirmed addresses prevent an "empty box" claim? I can't file a complaint against the USPS because the book arrived, and that is verified by the signature. I mean it will be the best form of protection but you can still get scammed by a buyer right?

Yes, you can still get scammed by a buyer, doing everything right. I should email Bob and ask how his case worked out. You end up relying on Paypal and eBay to do the right thing. An iffy proposition at best.

Found 2 more of mine but I only listed one of them

ASM129 is my book also and so is Cap100. I changed my photobucket settings to stop from anyone downloading my pics , that was a dumb mistake on my part