• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosed Trimming on Golden Age Books

22 posts in this topic

What's everybody's take on *disclosed* trimming on Golden Age books?

Especially with so many great Golden Age books having been trimmed over the years.

Sure, we all know not disclosing trimming or micro-trimming is a scumbag move, but if the seller is upfront about it... and you can get the book for a deal... how do you feel about it?

Can it be called restoration when it has little restorative value? Is it worse than color touch, tear seals, etc, in your mind? Better than brittle pages?

Bottom line, given the general rarity of most Golden Age books, would you feel comfortable adding a trimmed book to your collection if it was fully disclosed by the seller and you got a good deal on it? Or does it fundamentally alter the book beyond collectability for you?

hm

I've only ever done it by accident. I don't really want to purchase trimmed books at all.

+1

Does your opinion change if it's a GA book that rarely ever comes up for sale, like 'Tec #31 or Action #7, 13, etc. ? If it's something you need to fill and never have the opportunity, would you consider a trimmed book at a discount?

I've only ever done it by accident. I don't really want to purchase trimmed books at all.

+1

Does your opinion change if it's a GA book that rarely ever comes up for sale, like 'Tec #31 or Action #7, 13, etc. ? If it's something you need to fill and never have the opportunity, would you consider a trimmed book at a discount?

It hasn't been necessary so far. I've settled for color touch books, though.

+1

nope, just keep waiting or take the book off my list.

I don't personally mind a trimmed book as long as it's disclosed, especially if it's a tough book.

The only reason I think twice about buying a trimmed book is because some people don't like it so it makes it a bit harder to sell if you need to.

I would never knowingly buy a trimmed book unless it was offered for such a substantial discount as to make it worth owning as a novelty (i.e. Apparent 9.0 might be worth for 5-10% of actual 9.0 value to me).

Pretty harsh but that's how much of a stigma trimming has for me.

Especially with so many great Golden Age books having been trimmed over the years.

Sure, we all know not disclosing trimming or micro-trimming is a scumbag move, but if the seller is upfront about it... and you can get the book for a deal... how do you feel about it?

Can it be called restoration when it has little restorative value? Is it worse than color touch, tear seals, etc, in your mind? Better than brittle pages?

Bottom line, given the general rarity of most Golden Age books, would you feel comfortable adding a trimmed book to your collection if it was fully disclosed by the seller and you got a good deal on it? Or does it fundamentally alter the book beyond collectability for you?

hm

Love me some trim, but hate me some trimmed comics.

For golden age keys or iconic covers, I think trimming is fine. Obviously the amount of trimming ideally would be very minimal and the key here is that the price has to be right.

So if it is an Action 1-10, Tec 27 - 38, Phantom Lady 17, Suspense 3, etc . . . , a trimmed copy might be your only chance to get an affordable copy. And if the book is desirable enough, there will always be demand even with the trimming.

However, for silver age books, I think the story is very different. In general, I would avoid any trimmed silver age book unless you were paying a ridiculously low % of the untrimmed grade (especially in the higher grades).

hm

lol>>>. (thumbs u

The only trimmed book I've, knowingly, had was a Marvel Mystery #13 that came from a bound volume. It was also three hole punched so...

I've turned down some pretty incredible books at great prices because they had slightly brittle pages. I debated buying a Marvel Mystery #2 that was a 4.0, other than the slightly brittle pages, but I just couldn't pull the trigger even though it was priced at half of the good value.

Ultimately, I would have to say that on a super rare grail, that I otherwise could not afford, I would accept trimming. I just can't accept brittle pages.

hm

(thumbs u